Created by: Gerry
Created on November 26, 2011
Categories: Comfort Food, Dinner, Main Dish, Curries, Poultry, Chicken, Indian, Budget-Friendly, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Entertaining, Fall/Autumn, Game/Sports Day, Sunday Dinner, Winter, Weeknight Meals, Slow Cooker, Gluten-Free, High Protein, Low Carbohydrate, No Eggs, Non-Dairy, Spicy, Kosher Meat (more)
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
"We have always loved Basmati rice, since we were introduced to curries we often serve it topped with spicy chicken. Clipped this great tasting recipe for both chicken thighs or chicken legs awhile back. So good and so easy, prep, pop in a slow cooker and you have a super meal on the days you don't have time to spend in the kitchen. Like many curry lovers I am generous in the adding of my Curry Powder and at times add in pepper flakes."
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (6)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 10mPT10M
Cook Time: 5hPT5H
Great curry and one I will have again most definitely! I didn't use the cilantro and subbed parsley instead and subbed Brown Sugar Twin to keep the sugar down. Very enjoyable over Zoodles (zucchini noodles). Thank you for this lovely recipe.... Read more
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds chicken thighs (6 to 8 thighs or legs)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika (to taste)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (peeled and Chopped)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder (choose from mild, medium or hot)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounce) tomatoes (I like plum tomatoes which I break up)
- 1 can (14 ounce) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (bottled lime juice works or use fresh lemon if you need to sub)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (I offer 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 tablespoon of parsley or Italian Parsley)
- 1 tablespoon green onion, sliced
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Season and rub chicken with salt, pepper and paprika. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, brown chicken on both sides place in slow cooker. (When I do chicken and meats I like to use my oval slow cooker so as to have most of the meat layered on the bottom).
Drain off extra fat from pan, add in onion, garlic and ginger, saute for 2 - 3 minutes. Add in curry powder, cook for 1 minute.
Stir in tomatoes, coconut milk, and brown sugar.
In small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in lime juice, stir into the coconut tomato mixture simmer 1 minute. Pour over chicken.
Cook on low for 4 - 5 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with Basmati rice
Offer little bowls of chopped cilantro, parsley and sliced green onion to garnish and add extra flavour. (I am generous with the snipped greens).
- Serving Size: 1 (317.7 g)
- Calories 508.1
- Total Fat - 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat - 20.1 g
- Cholesterol - 111.1 mg
- Sodium - 103.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 16 g
- Dietary Fiber - 3.2 g
- Sugars - 7.6 g
- Protein - 21.1 g
- Calcium - 43.4 mg
- Iron - 2.5 mg
- Vitamin C - 24.8 mg
- Thiamin - 0.1 mg