Blackened Chicken Tacos
January 07, 2020
"From our weekday newspaper The West Australian. Times are estimated. NOTE full title of the recipe is Blackened Chicken Tacox With Mango and Jalapeno Salsa."
- Serving Size: 1 (368.7 g)
- Calories 445.1
- Total Fat - 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat - 3 g
- Cholesterol - 127.5 mg
- Sodium - 135.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 30 g
- Dietary Fiber - 6.7 g
- Sugars - 21.3 g
- Protein - 49.1 g
- Calcium - 78.9 mg
- Iron - 2.9 mg
- Vitamin C - 64.1 mg
- Thiamin - 0.2 mg
Step by Step Method
To make salsa, cut cheeks from mango and discard stone and using a large spoon, scoop out flesh from each cheek and then chop flesh and place in a bowl with remaining ingredients and mix well.
Toss chicken with combined seasoning and oil.
Heat a lightly oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat and add chicken and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until cooked. Remove. Thinly slice.
Serve chicken on tortillas with cabbage and spoon over salsa and serve with lime wedges.
No special items needed.
The ingredient tips, suggestions, variations, facts, questions and answers below are not edits to the original author's recipe. They are not meant to imply any change would improve the recipe. They're offered for convenience, alternative ideas, and points of interest. If you have any comments about them, please post in the Help & Ideas forum.
- When selecting the chicken, look for fillets that are firm and moist to ensure the best flavor.
- Be sure to buy ripe mangoes and avocados for the salsa to ensure the best flavor and texture.
- Substitute the Cajun seasoning with equal parts of paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and thyme. The benefit of this substitution is that it gives the chicken a more complex flavor profile, as each of these spices bring their own unique flavor to the dish.
- Substitute the jalapeno chillies with equal parts of green bell pepper and red onion. The benefit of this substitution is that it creates a milder flavor, while still providing the necessary crunch and texture to the salsa.
Greek Chicken Tacos Replace the Cajun seasoning with Greek seasoning. For the salsa, replace the mango with diced tomatoes, avocado with feta cheese, jalapeno chillies with red onion, and coriander with oregano. Replace the lime juice with red wine vinegar.
Mexican Rice: This Mexican-style rice is the perfect accompaniment to the flavorful blackened chicken tacos. The combination of tomato, garlic, onions and spices creates a delicious side dish that will complement the tacos perfectly.
Fiesta Black Beans: Fiesta black beans are a great addition to any Mexican-inspired meal. They are packed with flavor from garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, and jalapeno peppers. They are the perfect complement to the Mexican rice and blackened chicken tacos, adding a hearty and flavorful side dish to the meal.
Q: What type of chicken should I use?
A: Boneless skinless chicken breast (fillets, trimmed) is recommended for this recipe.
Q: How long should I cook the chicken?
A: Cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165°F and the juices run clear. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
You'll Also Love
The Cajun seasoning used in this recipe is a combination of spices that originated in Louisiana, USA, and is named after the French-speaking Acadian people who settled there in the 18th century.
The mango used in this recipe is a fruit native to South Asia, and has been cultivated in India for over 4,000 years. It is also the national fruit of India, and is a favorite of celebrities like Beyonce and Priyanka Chopra.