Created by: Marramamba
Created on April 1, 2015
Categories: Dinner, Main Dish, Poultry, Chicken, Indian, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Entertaining, Fall/Autumn, Sunday Dinner, Winter, Slow Cooker, Gluten-Free, High Protein, No Eggs, Canned Tomatoes, Bone-in Pieces (more)
Slow-Cooker Indian Spiced Chicken With Tomato & Cream
"If your spices are to old, restock with new for this great dish."
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (1)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 25mPT25M
Cook Time: 7-8hPT7-8H
We really enjoyed this delicious slow cooker chicken. It was easy to put together and the spice is just right - not too hot. Loved the addition of the potatoes. Served this along with some Indian bread so we could enjoy the wonderful sauce. Also.... Read more
- 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter) or vegetable oil
- 3 pounds chicken legs (drumsticks with thighs; about 6)
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium (8 ounce) yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (finely grated)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger (peeled)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound potatoes (small Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced 1/4” thick)
- 3/4 cup tomato puree (canned)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Plain yogurt, torn fresh mint, and naan, flatbread, or cooked rice (for serving)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Heat ghee in a large Dutch oven over medium. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, cook chicken, skin side down, until golden brown (do not turn), 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a 4–6-quart slow cooker.
Place onion, garlic, and ginger in same pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is very soft and golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Add tomato paste, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, coriander, cayenne, and cardamom and cook, stirring often, until tomato paste is beginning to darken, about 4 minutes. Transfer mixture to slow cooker. Add broth, potatoes, tomato purée, and cream to slow cooker, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
Cover and cook until potatoes are tender and chicken is falling off the bone, 7–8 hours on low or 4–5 hours on high.
Remove skin and bones from chicken, if desired, and return meat to slow cooker; season stew with salt and pepper.
Divide stew among bowls, top with yogurt and mint, and serve with naan, flatbread, or rice.
Do ahead: Stew can be made 3 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.
- Serving Size: 1 (813.3 g)
- Calories 526.7
- Total Fat - 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat - 5.5 g
- Cholesterol - 837.1 mg
- Sodium - 1266.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber - 5.7 g
- Sugars - 6.7 g
- Protein - 65.9 g
- Calcium - 112.4 mg
- Iron - 12.2 mg
- Vitamin C - 34.7 mg
- Thiamin - 0.3 mg