Created by: Felix4067
Recipe #7632 | Created on January 6, 2013
Categories: Dinner, Main Dish, Casseroles, Beans, Poultry, Chicken, Vegetables, Corn, Southwest, Budget-Friendly, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Pantry/Shelf, Weeknight Meals, Oven Bake, Diabetic, High Fiber, High Protein, Low Carbohydrate, Canned Tomatoes, Cooked Chicken or Beef, Cooked Chicken (more)
Layered Tortilla Casserole
"Often, I am at my most creative when I am faced with food that is about to go bad. Such is the case here, where I used a combination of things in my pantry and tortillas just past their date to create a casserole that satisfies. Not remotely authentic to anything related to Mexico, it's still a pretty tasty dish. This does come out with a bit more liquid than I would have liked, but letting it stand before cutting and serving helped a great deal. *As of May 2013 I have edited this recipe for a better outcome (added fresh avocado, rearranged the layers)."
- 4 (5 ounce) cans chicken, shredded (or 1 pound shredded cooked chicken)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (1.25 ounce) packet chili or taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon spicy garlic hot pepper sauce (I use Cajun Power brand)
- 6 (10 inch) tortillas
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (or kidney beans)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried black beans (or use regular refried beans)
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Sour cream, salsa, guacamole, black olives, onions, etc. to garnish as desired
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Preheat oven to 350F; grease a deep 9x13-inch casserole dish.
Combine chicken, onion, tomato sauce, chili seasoning, chili powder, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and garlic pepper sauce in a large bowl.
Lay two tortillas in bottom of prepared casserole (overlapping to cover bottom and slightly up sides); spread stewed tomatoes over tortillas, scatter beans over tomatoes, spread with 1/2 cup sauce.
Lay two more tortillas; spread refried beans over tortillas, lay avocado slices over refried beans, scatter corn over avocado, scatter 1 1/2 cups cheese over corn, spread one cup of sauce over cheese.
Lay remaining two tortillas over sauce; spread remaining sauce over tortillas, covering entire top of casserole.
Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
Scatter remaining cheese over top; spread 1/2 cup salsa over cheese; bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and let stand 10-15 minutes to set. Serve with your favourite garnish, or just as it is.
- Serving Size: 1 (218.7 g)
- Calories 486.6
- Total Fat - 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat - 8.6 g
- Cholesterol - 417.1 mg
- Sodium - 1185.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber - 1.4 g
- Sugars - 3.6 g
- Protein - 37.9 g
- Calcium - 299.9 mg
- Iron - 9.8 mg
- Vitamin C - 4.8 mg
- Thiamin - 0.2 mg