Potato Refrigerator Dough
August 25, 2017
- Serving Size: 1 (1753.6 g)
- Calories 4955
- Total Fat - 179.6 g
- Saturated Fat - 34.4 g
- Cholesterol - 418.3 mg
- Sodium - 3725.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 765 g
- Dietary Fiber - 93.5 g
- Sugars - 140.3 g
- Protein - 128 g
- Calcium - 377.8 mg
- Iron - 33.2 mg
- Vitamin C - 13.7 mg
- Thiamin - 4.4 mg
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
Add sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, potato, and 4 cups flour. Mix well.
Add enough remaining flour make dough easy to handle.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured, cloth covered surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning dough to coat in oil.
Cover bowl tightly and refrigerate at least 8 hours (can be kept refrigerated up to 5 days).
Punch down dough and divide in 4 parts.
Use Each quarter in any of the following variations.
Let rise 1 1/2 hours before baking.
Preheat oven to 400F and bake 15 - 25 minutes.
FOR THE VARIATIONS
* Casserole: Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place in lightly greased round 9x1 1/2 pan. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 3 dozen.
* Cloverleafs: Shape into 1 inch balls and place 3 in greased muffin tins. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 12 rolls.
* Crescents: Roll dough into 12 inch circle and spread with butter. Cut into 16 wedges and roll up, starting at rounded side. Place rolls point side under, on greased baking sheet, curve slightly. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 16 rolls.
* Fan Tans: Roll dough into rectangle, 13x19, and spread with butter. Cut into 6 strips, 1/2 inches wide. Stack strips and cut into 12 pieces, about an inch wide. Place in greased muffin tins, cut side down. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 12 rolls.
* Four- Leaf Clovers: Shape dough into 2 inch balls and place each ball in greased muffin tins. Snip with scissors, in half, then quarters. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 12 rolls.
* Pan Biscuits: Use half of the dough, and roll into a 13x9 rectangle and 1/2 inch thick, and place into a greased baking pan. Score dough 1/4 inch deep into 15 rolls. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 15 Rolls.
* Parker House: Roll out dough 1/4 inch think and cut into circles, brush with butter. Make an crease across the center of each circle and fold in half, so that top overlaps a little , press edges together and place close together in a 9 inch pan. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 10 rolls.
Tips & Variations
No special items needed.