Curried Rice And Shrimp Salad
June 28, 2021
Categories: Curries, Salads, Fish/Seafood Salad, Shrimp, Rice, White Rice Gluten-Free, more
- Serving Size: 1 (218.9 g)
- Calories 240.3
- Total Fat - 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat - 1.5 g
- Cholesterol - 125.2 mg
- Sodium - 1035.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber - 1.6 g
- Sugars - 2.2 g
- Protein - 14.7 g
- Calcium - 75.8 mg
- Iron - 0.6 mg
- Vitamin C - 2.4 mg
- Thiamin - 0.1 mg
Step by Step Method
Saute onions until tender
Add curry powder ,seasoning
Add rice and water
Cover simmer 20 minutes
Add salad ingredients
No special items needed.
The ingredient tips, suggestions, variations, facts, questions and answers below are not edits to the original author's recipe. They are not meant to imply any change would improve the recipe. They're offered for convenience, alternative ideas, and points of interest. If you have any comments about them, please post in the Help & Ideas forum.
- When selecting onions, choose ones that are firm and have dry, papery skins.
- When purchasing shrimp, opt for fresh or frozen shrimp that has been peeled and deveined.
- Substitution 1: Replace the mayonnaise in the salad with Greek yogurt. Benefit: This substitution will reduce the fat content of the dish and provide a healthier alternative to mayonnaise. Thinking: Greek yogurt is a healthier alternative to mayonnaise and will help reduce the fat content of the dish.
- Substitution 2: Replace the raw white rice with quinoa. Benefit: This substitution will provide more nutritional value to the dish. Thinking: Quinoa is a complete protein and contains more fiber, vitamins, and minerals than white rice, making it a healthier alternative.
Tofu and Veggie Curry Salad Heat oil in a pan, sauté onions until tender. Add curry powder and seasoning. Add cubed tofu and vegetables of your choice (such as bell peppers, carrots, and mushrooms). Cook for 10 minutes. Add water and simmer for 10 minutes. Chill. Add salad ingredients (mayonnaise, lemon juice, water, celery, and cooked vegetables). Chill.
Mango and Avocado Salad - A light and refreshing side dish to accompany the Curried Rice and Shrimp Salad. The combination of sweet mango and creamy avocado complements the spiciness of the curry and the richness of the shrimp, creating a delicious balance of flavors.
Carrot and Coconut Soup: A creamy and flavorful soup made with carrots, coconut milk, and spices. The sweetness of the carrots and the richness of the coconut milk balance out the spiciness of the curry and the richness of the shrimp, creating a delicious harmony of flavors.
Q: How long should I simmer the rice?
A: Simmer the rice for 20 minutes, covered, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Q: How much water should I use to cook the rice?
A: Use 1 1/2 cups of water for every cup of rice. This will ensure that the rice is cooked properly.
You'll Also Love
The use of curry powder in this recipe is a nod to the Indian influence in Caribbean cuisine. Curry powder is a blend of spices that originated in India, and is widely used in the Caribbean to add flavor to dishes like this one.
This recipe was inspired by a traditional dish eaten by the people of Barbados, a Caribbean island. It is said that the famous Caribbean singer Rihanna enjoyed eating this dish when she was growing up in Barbados.