August 18, 2017
Breads, Dinner rolls or other breads, Dairy,
Budget-Friendly, Brunch, Fall/Autumn, Winter, Oven Bake, Vegetarian, Yeast Rolls, Flour, Kosher Dairy more
Add toRecipe Book
Add toShopping List
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water
Add milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening and 2 cups flour. Mix well.
Add enough remaining flour make dough easy to handle.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured, cloth covered surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning dough to coat in oil.
Let rise, covered with a damp cloth, until doubled. approximately 1 hr.
Punch down dough and divide in half.
Use Each half in any of the following variations.
Let rise 20 minutes before baking.
Preheat oven to 400F and bake 15-20 minutes.
* Casserole: Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place in lightly greased round 9x1 1/2 pan. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 3 dozen
* Cloverleafs: Shape into 1 inch balls and place 3 in greased muffin tins. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 12 rolls
* Crescents: Roll dough into 12 inch circle and spread with butter. Cut into 16 wedges and roll up, starting at rounded side. Place rolls point side under, on greased baking sheet, curve slightly. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 16 rolls
* Fan Tans: Roll dough into rectangle, 13x19, and spread with butter. Cut into 6 strips, 1/2 inches wide. Stack strips and cut into 12 pieces, about an inch wide. Place in greased muffin tins, cut side down. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 12 rolls
* Four- Leaf Clovers: Shape dough into 2 inch balls and place each ball in greased muffin tins. Snip with scissors, in half, then quarters. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 12 rolls
* Pan Biscuits: Use all of the dough (do not divide it), and roll into a 13x9 rectangle and 1/2 inch thick, and place into a greased baking pan. Score dough 1/4 inch deep into 15 rolls. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 15 Rolls
* Parker House: Roll out dough 1/4 inch think and cut into circles, brush with butter. Make an crease across the center of each circle and fold in half, so that top overlaps a little , press edges together and place close together in a 9 inch pan. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 10 rolls
No Thanksgiving meal is complete without these harvest time meals: Turkey, stuffing,...
There is nothing quite like the smells and memories of fresh baked cookies. Serve them...
Kick start your day with one of these delicious fruit smoothies.
Recipe Stories / Blog
Delete this. It's that time of day again. When the clock turns to a certain...
It's that time of day again. When the clock turns to a certain time and seems to...
When you’re craving comfort food and you’re sure that a simple burger just won’t...