Speedy Gonzales Mexican Soup
May 18, 2022
Categories: Australian, Mexican Gluten-Free, Frozen Vegetables, more
"From Australian woman's day. It did have a tablespoon of flour I'm not can add tortilla chips at end"
- Serving Size: 1 (593.8 g)
- Calories 349.6
- Total Fat - 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat - 2.8 g
- Cholesterol - 59 mg
- Sodium - 734.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber - 3.6 g
- Sugars - 9.4 g
- Protein - 29.7 g
- Calcium - 47.8 mg
- Iron - 2.2 mg
- Vitamin C - 20.2 mg
- Thiamin - 0.2 mg
Step by Step Method
Heat oil in pan
Add onions and peppers
Cook until tender
Season to taste
Add rest of ingredients, except cilantro
Simmer until hot
At very end stir in cilantro
No special items needed.
The ingredient tips, suggestions, variations, facts, questions and answers below are not edits to the original author's recipe. They are not meant to imply any change would improve the recipe. They're offered for convenience, alternative ideas, and points of interest. If you have any comments about them, please post in the Help & Ideas forum.
- Choose jalapeno peppers that are bright green and firm for the best flavor.
- Be sure to use fresh cilantro for the best flavor and texture.
- Substitute cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts for cooked black beans for a vegetarian version. The benefit of this substitution is that it provides a protein alternative for those who do not eat meat and still allows them to enjoy the flavors of the soup.
- Substitute jalapeno peppers for bell peppers for a milder flavor. The benefit of this substitution is that it allows those who may not be able to handle the spiciness of jalapenos to still enjoy the soup without the added heat.
Vegetarian Speedy Gonzales Mexican Soup Replace chicken with 8 ounces of cooked black beans. Replace chicken stock with vegetable stock. Omit the salsa.
Mexican Rice: Mexican rice is a great accompaniment to this delicious soup. It is easy to make and adds a great flavor to the soup. The rice absorbs the flavors of the soup, making it a perfect side dish.
Tortilla Chips: Tortilla chips are a great way to add crunch and flavor to this soup. They are easy to make and can be served as a side dish or as a topping on the soup. The chips will add a nice texture and flavor to the soup and will help to balance out the flavors.
Q: How long should I simmer the soup?
A: Simmer the soup until it is hot, about 10 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Q: What vegetables should I use?
A: Use whatever vegetables you have on hand, such as carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, and peppers. You can also add canned or frozen vegetables.
You'll Also Love
The recipe is likely named after the famous cartoon character Speedy Gonzales, who is a mouse known for his speed and Mexican heritage.
The Australian Women's Day magazine, which first published this recipe, began in 1933 and is Australia's longest running magazine.