August 18, 2017
Breads, Brunch, Vegetarian,
Make it from scratch, Dough, Yeast Rolls, Flour, Kosher Dairy more
Add toRecipe Book
Add toShopping List
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
Add buttermilk, sour cream, 2 1/2 cups flour, shortening, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well
Add remaining flour.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 5 minutes.
Divide into thirds
Use each third in any of the following variations.
Let rise 1 hour before baking.
Preheat oven to 375F and bake 20 - 25 minutes
* Casserole: Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place in lightly greased round 9x1 1/2 pan. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 3 dozen
* Cloverleafs: Shape into 1 inch balls and place 3 in greased muffin tins. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 12 rolls
* Crescents: Roll dough into 12 inch circle and spread with butter. Cut into 16 wedges and roll up, starting at rounded side. Place rolls point side under, on greased baking sheet, curve slightly. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 16 rolls
* Fan Tans: Roll dough into rectangle, 13x19, and spread with butter. Cut into 6 strips, 1/2 inches wide. Stack strips and cut into 12 pieces, about an inch wide. Place in greased muffin tins, cut side down. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 12 rolls
* Four- Leaf Clovers: Shape dough into 2 inch balls and place each ball in greased muffin tins. Snip with scissors, in half, then quarters. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 12 rolls
* Pan Biscuits: Use 2/3 of the dough, and roll into a 13x9 rectangle and 1/2 inch thick, and place into a greased baking pan. Score dough 1/4 inch deep into 15 rolls. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 15 Rolls
* Parker House: Roll out dough 1/4 inch think and cut into circles, brush with butter. Make an crease across the center of each circle and fold in half, so that top overlaps a little , press edges together and place close together in a 9 inch pan. Brush with butter before baking. Makes 10 rolls
If you are like us and love blueberries, then you'll love these cobblers, muffins,...
When the goblins are out and the night is upon us, hunger strikes in and these...
There is nothing quite like the smells and memories of fresh baked cookies. Serve them...
Recipe Stories / Blog
It's that time of day again. When the clock turns to a certain time and seems to...
Delete this. It's that time of day again. When the clock turns to a certain...