Some ingredients to use up

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Kchurchill5

Re: Some ingredients to use up

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:24 am

Your welcome; jams and jellies are great to use as glazes over proteins. Not just chicken, but pretty much anything

Also, add a spoon to steamed carrots or broccoli.
Also, on baked sweet potatoes as a light glaze. It adds a bit of sugar, but not too much - a little goes a long ways.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed May 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Felix4067 wrote:For the beans, you can use my Pantry Stew as a base...I often use more or less kinds of beans, leave out the corn and/or mushrooms...whatever happens to work with what I have on-hand. It also works without meat or using chicken instead of ground beef. I didn't name it Pantry Stew for nothin'! :lol: There's also this, Four Bean Faux Chili. Same idea.

I don't really have much for your other items that doesn't require a bunch of other things as well. Canned fruit I usually just end up eating when I bring a lunch to work...I don't use it in recipes at all, unless you've also got pineapple, in which case this is a good one, Pineapple-Mandarin Orange Dessert.

We don't eat orange marmalade, sorry.
I am making the stew tonight for dinner. Leaving out the mushrooms and replacing hot sauce with some mild RoTel, which I will puree to get the correct amount. Might add a touch of Cajun seasoning as well.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:13 pm

Excellent, I hope you like it! The recipe is more of a guideline...I don't know if I've ever made it the same way twice myself. :lol:

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed May 29, 2013 8:50 pm

Felix4067 wrote:Excellent, I hope you like it! The recipe is more of a guideline...I don't know if I've ever made it the same way twice myself. :lol:
We enjoyed it. I had to make a few alterations, but kept to the basic framework of the recipe. My BF ate the whole bowl even though it was a bit spicy (next time I will just skip the hot sauce part entirely, I used Rotel at that was even a bit too much heat). I have nice batch of leftovers for tomorrow.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Wed May 29, 2013 9:10 pm

You could even toast your freshly baked bread and serve it over toast! Yum

Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:35 pm

If you get one of those sugar-free cake mixes or make your own cake you could get it really cold then cut it into torte layers, warm the preserves and spread it between. Whip up some whipped cream as a topping- fairly low carb (at least it's low sugar) and you deserve a dessert with all that is going on. And who doesn't like torte?
Also, did you mention something about crepes? That could use up a ton of jam. That or dutch babies/swedish pancakes, etc. More eggy, a little lower carb than pancakes.
Oh, and jams you can use to whip up some homemade barbecue sauce if you guys like that. Thing about barbecue is that it traditionally cheap food so you can use cheap cuts of meat.