Easter 2023

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

Re: Easter 2023

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:08 pm

Being in a bit of a slow down mode at the moment know full well not a time to be playing Superwoman so this Easter it will mean careful planing on my part. As well there is the travel time, work schedules and possible weather conditions to consider, remains to be seen just to how many to prepare for. Seems more snow predicted for our area this coming week.

I have an awesome Cabela foodsaver that sees freezer stash as fresh as when it’s made which allows both pre planning and for leftovers. Yesterdays doorstep grocery shop will see to the making of both the cabbage rolls which are a given over Easter and the must make cheesecake this morning. My menu and extra desserts are on ‘the to be decided list.’

#recipe30589

What are you making?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:25 am

Gerry wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:20 pm
Son does the smoking these days so I have not invested in a new smoker. He did a double smoked ham for one of our gatherings, made for a great addition and was much enjoyed. I included your https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/doubl ... -ham-22422 in a previous Easter thread because it is that good Shadows.
Thanks Gerry!

RZ-Admin
Site Admin

Post by RZ-Admin » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:47 pm

That cherry cheesecake sure looks good Gerry! It's been added to the Easter dessert recipe ideas.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:05 pm

RZ-Admin wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:47 pm
That cherry cheesecake sure looks good Gerry! It's been added to the Easter dessert recipe ideas.
Easter round up a great idea, happy to see our family favourite holiday dessert has been added! :)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:11 pm

Yesterday saw to the making and bagging of the cabbage rolls and the Cherry Cheesecakes, a start to the Easter freezer stash. Went through my recipes for desserts, living in small town Saskatchewan the availability of the ingredients as well knowing approximately how many to prepare for will be a factor in the choosing. As a back up I added Vanilla Bean and a Fudgy/Nut mix ice cream. The younger crowd love ice cream.

Austrian Strawberry Torte is an elegant looking fruit torte, a marvellous dessert that never fails to please and one of the favourites at our house.

#recipe2808

Strawberry Cha Cha, this old fashioned dessert deemed just as popular today as it was back when. A delicious light and lovely dessert perfect for the holiday season.

#recipe2553

Cookies and Cream, another of our family favourites - this is a great year around dessert to have in your freezer. Lush and light, perfect for a spring or summer dessert or after a holiday meal. An added bonus, it tastes as good as it looks!

#recipe7175 although no photo this cake has wowed at Sunday morning coffee hours, Easter brunches and afternoon teas. Have to love friends who not only have great recipes but share them! It's a knock your socks off kind of recipe that is a family favourite at our house.

Hungarian Poppy Seed Cake, if I manage to find poppy seed I will be making this for daughter's Easter Saturday birthday cake. A Community Cookbook find that is moist and delicious. Frost with your favourite icing, drizzle with a lemon glaze, dust with icing sugar or serve without a topping.

#recipe2383

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:18 pm

My main course choices are Turkey and the trimmings and Holiday Ham.

#recipe8741

Come holiday time or gatherings baked ham is a must make at our house. This is one of my favourite recipes. Makes for one awesome tasting ham. Baking in a tightly sealed foil package makes for delicious, moist and tender each and every time.

I will be gleaning recipes to add to my Easter weekend menu.

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:35 pm

At one time come Easter Thursday family members would begin to arrive in time for the evening meal, the weekend would see full house to over flowing, these days distance and travel time see to much smaller gatherings but gather we do.

Good Friday the main course is salmon, cod or halibut. Our favourite is stuffed salmon, the master chef when it comes to the stuffed salmon be it on the barbecue or oven now lives in Toronto, I manage a fairly good runner up but always happy when he comes to visit assuredly stuffed salmon is on the menu. For smaller group we do salmon steaks, the cod or halibut.

We love Baked Salmon for Salmon Lovers, this delicious and easy to make salmon recipe comes from an old community cookbook and a salmon lovers must make.

#recipe28553

When doing battered cod or halibut our go to recipe is Crispy Fry Batter. This is one of the best fry batters I have ever used, I think it's the beaten egg whites that has everything come out light and fluffy. Great on shrimp, chicken fish, veggies about anything you want to see coming out of the pan light, crispy and golden brown. Batter needs to be prepared an hour before using - so worth the wait!"

#recipe2300

Dill and Lemon Mayonnaise Sauce is another go to when serving fish. The recipe from my old handwritten cook book, likely a Canadian Living recipe. Served alongside Tartar Sauce and Seafood Cocktail the three make for great presentation, this sauce was declared a real winner by all.

#recipe19571

When the main course is salmon, cod or halibut we like coleslaw. We have enjoyed many a cabbage salad and coleslaw, but when it comes to a special gathering Deluxe Coleslaw is our go to for about twenty-five years. It's also an easy and delicious salad, we don't know why but for the special taste we love - the onion has to be grated.

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:18 am

I have wonderful childhood memories of Easter Blessings and many family traditions which have become part of our Easter celebrations. I cannot remember an Easter when we did not have bowls and baskets of coloured eggs.

Wonderful memories of the fun the little ones had in colouring and decorating eggs. Always an extra stash of special eggs made for the Easter Bunny to hide making for an exciting indoor early morning Easter Egg hunt and Easter baskets. Yes I counted to be assured none were left behind! Been a few years since we had an Easter Egg Hunt but come Easter Sunday always a glass bowl of coloured eggs on the Easter table enjoyed by children and adults alike.

Yesterday saw only the promise there may be dye available this coming week, not sure as to a city shop has me hoping I have some tucked away from last year. I may have to resort to bringing out the paints and crayons or resort to some old fashioned recipes that one reads about. But there will be coloured eggs.

Looking to dye eggs as in the past, this year Bea’s Colored Boiled Easter Eggs will be one of the ‘new to me’ recipes added to our Easter recipes. I have no idea how I missed this one! It is sure to impress.

#recipe7828

The past few years I have been using my pressure cooker to do the eggs. Word was making hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker/insta pots made for perfect eggs each and every time. I was hesitant and admittedly a bit skeptical until a family member made eggs in my pressure pot. An absolute winner, quick, easy cooking, super easy peeling and yes perfect eggs each and every time! As Bea said “Easy Peasy” and I agree!

#recipe30462

An egg recipe you may want to have a look at especially if you are planning on making potato salad which I think to as a spring and summer salad perfect tor the Easter weekend you may want to have a look at Insta Pot Loaf (for Potato and Egg Salad) No eggs to boil, cool and shell, one of those super easy and super good recipes.

#recipe30459

The recipes here for most part are my recipes that are givens or must haves expected at our holiday table, since I always like to add a new to us recipe or two as a surprise I am hoping members will come on in and share their special holiday recipes.

What are you making?

Sue

Post by Sue » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:41 pm

It's looking like beef tenderloin, stuffed potatoes, asparagus, small green salads with fruit, and key lime pie.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:04 pm

That sounds wonderful Sue especially that Key Lime Pie. Had someone suggest Lemon Meringue but not sure that will happen. Will have to check out that Key Lime recipe but suspect limes not likely on my grocers shelves! One day!