Freezing cream soup?

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Cilla

Freezing cream soup?

Post by Cilla » Sat May 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Does anyone know if cream soups freeze well? I made a big batch of cream chicken and potato soup and I just don't think I can eat it again today. Can I freeze it? It was made with chicken broth and simmered the last hour with a pint of heavy cream added. Any suggestions?

Kchurchill5

Re: Freezing cream soup?

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:55 pm

For the most part yes. I find if the cream is NOT the main ingredient, it is no problem. I have a rich bisque, which is really mostly cream; and that does get a bit off. But, for the most part, absolutely.

It may separate a bit once it is thawed, but once heated back up. It should be fine.

I do find, that heavy cream or light cream works best, not milk. But, I freeze cream soups all the time.

Some people don't like potatoes frozen either; but, I don't have an issue with those either.

Freezing soup, the two things I am aware of is those with pasta or rice - they tend to really soak up all the liquid. I tend to leave the pasta and rice on the side already cooked in baggies and freeze. Or, you can just ad them when you heat up the rest of the pot. Either method works.

Cilla

Post by Cilla » Sat May 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Thank you Kim. Great info.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Welcome!

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat May 18, 2013 7:21 pm

You can always cook the soup and only add cream to the amount you want to serve, then freeze the rest. When the soup thaws, just add the cream then.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:41 am

That works too!

Cilla

Post by Cilla » Sun May 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Thank you Sue for your idea but I really want the "cream" to incorporate all the spices and flavors with a simmer. Adding "after the fact" I don't think would work here. When I add the cream I also add tarragon so all the flavors meld together. I want the cream and tarragon to add to the potato soup base which includes many spices and onion, garlic, celery and potato, thicken with a roux. The last hour I add sauteed seasoned chicken chunks/or microwaved chunks (partially cooked) cream and tarragon to simmer. Yummy. I do start with a chicken stock first though, saute the onion, celery and garlic, add spices and potato to stock and cook at a low boil until semi soft. Roux, to thicken soup. Cream, Tarragon, Chicken. Simmer. Luscious soup if I do say so myself. You can taste every element of spices and veggies and chicken without the chicken and potato being overcooked.
Last edited by Cilla on Mon May 20, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon May 20, 2013 6:54 pm

Personally, I don't care to cook the cream any longer than it takes to either heat or thicken if a roux or slurry is used. The reason being that if I overheat the milk or cream, it will possibly separate the milk solids and curdle, or worse, form a skin on the soup or possibly scorch from excessive heat. Curdled soup tastes quite yummy but it looks like crap, imo.
I find a soup broth infused with the fresh herbs or dried herbs or spices will instantaneously mix with the cream when it is added because it is liquid.
I also wouldn't simmer cooked chicken that long because I find it only causes the chicken to fall apart and be stringy, and I prefer mine left in chunks. The flavors in the cream soup will generally "cling" to the meat and impart the flavor when the soup is thickened enough. When you bite the chicken, the saucy soup gets pushed into the chicken. Other than that, I just season chicken appropriately when I cook it for the soup, although that isn't always possible.
But everyone has their own cooking preferences and methods. And if the person eating the food likes the way it turned out, the method is perfect. An empty bowl or plate decides all that. I am happy yours turns out so nicely! :)