Recipe for Pickled Zucchini

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Jaclyn

Recipe for Pickled Zucchini

Post by Jaclyn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:24 pm

I would love a recipe for pickled zucchini does anyone have a recipe for that?

Kchurchill5

Re: Recipe for Pickled Zucchini

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:47 am

Both these recipes I got from a pickling site and have been happy with both of them.

This is the recipe I use for a quick pickle; but these only last a week or so in the fridge, but they are easy to make. You can water bath them for 10 minutes and they will last on the shelf, but I just make them for the short term.

I use my food chopper to thin slice my zucchini, a mandolin works too or carefully cut by hand. This makes 2 quart jars

about 2 lbs zucchini, thin sliced
1 large onion, thin sliced
5-6 shallots, thin sliced
3 tablespoons kosher or pickling salt
jar ingredients:
2 large cubanelle peppers (optional), sliced
6-8 sprigs fresh dill, 3-4 per jar
2 tablespoons pickling spice (1 per jar)
liquid:
3 cups white vinegar (I prefer white, but you can mix white and cider if you want)
2/3 cup sugar

- Add the zucchini, onion, and shallots to a colander and toss with the salt, cover with a towel and set over a larger bowl. Refrigerate and let the zucchini drain for at least 1 hour up to 2 hours. Make sure to toss once or twice during that time.
- Make sure to clean your jars well. I just use the rinse cycle on the dishwasher but just washing them in good hot water works well too.
- Bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil, stir well to dissolve the sugar; then remove from the heat.
- Drain the zucchini well, shaking to make sure you get all the water out.
- Add the spice to the bottom of each jar. Then some of the zucchini, dill, and peppers. Repeat until the jars are filled. Then pour the warm liquid over zucchini and fill up the jars. Put on the lid, and screw up hand tight. Don't tighten too much. Make sure to get a good seal. Let them set out room temp until cool; then refrigerate 24 hours before enjoying.
- Good for 7-10 days in the fridge.
---------------------------------------------
These are for pickles. A bit different. I usually cut these like pickles in spears, but you can also do rounds too.

Makes a couple of jars too. I usually use both zucchini and summer squash but you don't have too. These will last a month or two in the fridge.

about 2 lbs zucchini or any squash (use the younger squash, so less seeds)
jar ingredients:
6-8 sprigs fresh dill
8 garlic cloves, smashed, but NOT chopped
liquid:
2 cups water
4 cups white vinegar
4 tablespoons kosher or pickling salt
4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons approximately per jar pickling spice (I go a bit less)

- Make sure the jars are very well clean and sanitized
- Chop the ends off of the zucchini and or summer squash and cut into spear. Add the zucchini and or squash along with the dill and garlic cloves to the jars and pack the squash in good.
- Bring the water, vinegar, salt, red pepper flakes and pickles spice to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour over the pickles.
- Add the lids, but do not screw on tight. Once cool, tighten the lids and refrigerate at least 48 hours before enjoying. After 24 hours make sure to shake to get all the flavors mixed through the jar.
ENJOY!
----------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps!

Jaclyn

Post by Jaclyn » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:32 pm

THANK YOU KChurchill, I plan on trying both of them, are they also posted here on this site?

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Jaclyn wrote:THANK YOU KChurchill, I plan on trying both of them, are they also posted here on this site?
NO, I never got around to it. But both work really good and not difficult.

Jaclyn

Post by Jaclyn » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:04 pm

okay thanks I just thought I would save both recipes in a recipebook then rate them after I made them, thanks again!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:28 pm

I cant try to add them; Not sure if I have time tonight;, but I will try.

RZ-Admin
Site Admin

Post by RZ-Admin » Sat May 25, 2024 2:45 am