May Long Weekend 2023 - share your favourte recipes

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

May Long Weekend 2023 - share your favourte recipes

Post by Gerry » Tue May 16, 2023 9:37 am

Finally enjoying warm and sunny days here on the prairies, has me looking forward to the May Long Weekend for us a weekend of family, food and fun. Our Victoria Day Weekend this year falls on May 22nd, the USA Memorial Day Weekend on May 29th.

Having just celebrated Mother's Day once again it crept up on me which has me looking back to 2019 for ideas. viewtopic.php?f=142&t=13895

I have yet to do a final planning, travel time and work for most part sees our family gatherings become much smaller in recent years which means fewer choices on the menu.

Happy to see my relocated rhubarb planting has me able to once again enjoy one of the family favourites a rhubarb pie over the long weekend. My mom made the best rhubarb pies ever, this golden oldie from the turn of the century recipe is about as close as I could get and family agree!

https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/rhuba ... oldie-5362

Must add lemoncello to my shop list for Derf's awesome Sangria. The first making had everyone agree, one fantastic summer sipper, this has to be the best Sangria we have ever tasted.

https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/lemon ... ngria-1109

Come on in and share your long weekend recipes.

NELady

Re: May Long Weekend 2023 - share your favourte recipes

Post by NELady » Tue May 16, 2023 8:57 pm

We will be out of town on Memorial Day! We'll be eating out. My favorite thing about coming home from a few nights away is getting into the kitchen and cooking!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue May 16, 2023 9:42 pm

Oh boy Gerry, I have many favourites for the May two four weekend... This is opening weekend for camps/cottages in this area. And is also opening weekend for many types of fishing....
This year I will be doing a couple of my #recipe13224 for a girl's potluck weekend as my hubby will be away fishing with the boys.
I took 2 pork shoulder roasts out Sunday and put them in the brine yesterday morning.
They will be sitting in the brine until Saturday morning, bright and early. They will sit in the smoker all day.....
The girls are all bringing sides and munchies, and of course beverages, lol. It should be a hoot!!!

Thx for posting this. I love love your potluck posts!!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed May 17, 2023 12:05 pm

Happy to see you stop by NELADY. Spending a weekend away makes for a great get away, but as with you love getting back to my kitchen and cooking.

Here too the May long weekend has something for every one from family and friends gathering, lake time, pancake breakfasts, barbecues, parades and fireworks. Our small town has an awesome fireworks display on holiday weekends.

I was waiting to see your recipe choices Bea! We did one lot of hams when we lived in the county, I was about to invest in a new smoker but with a son that has several I am well supplied with ham, bacon and sausage. Each time I see you or Shadows making your hams I have to sit on my hands to not order one.

A girls potluck sounds like one fun weekend, always did say Ontario women so do know how to have fun. Ask how I know!

Bea's #recipe13224 looks so good I can almost taste it!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu May 18, 2023 4:55 pm

I can't help but think the weather here will not make for easy planning, yesterday saw to one lot of wildfire smoke from both Alberta and from Northern Saskatchewan, wind seems to have moved it along but chances are it's so not over. This morning woke to 'feels like minus one' a cold day here. The forecast does sound more promising for the weekend. Will have recipes on hand ready to go for both outdoors or a stay in day. I am sure I have made mention I love warm and sunny!

I have been looking forward to my first outdoor barbecue which has me thinking to Barbecued Chicken Breasts a year around favourite at our house, awesome on the barbecue as well the indoor grill or pan. Hoping I can find some with the skin which I love when grilling.

#recipe2997

I have a couple boxes of Angus Burgers in the freezer, everyone here enjoys burgers. One of our favourite burgers are our Old Fashioned Rink Burgers.

#recipe1094

For ribs or steak, we love variety which has us enjoying a number of great tasting marinades.This one is our go to. Quick and easy. If needing to tenderize we leave it overnight or longer.

#recipe7234

What are you making?

Sue

Post by Sue » Thu May 18, 2023 8:34 pm

I'm hoping to grill some salmon.
Other than that I have no idea, trying not to think to far ahead, which is always a recipe for changing my mind.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu May 18, 2023 9:09 pm

Potato Salad is a must make on holiday weekends, for our long weekends I generally go with the family favourite that has yet to be posted. My weekend salads remain undecided but have copies ready and close at hand when it comes to the choosing.

A salad I like to make when having low carbers is Sue's 'Cauliflower Salad Made Like Potato Salad' It's an excellent alternative for the low carbers that love potato salad, so good non low carbers dig right in. This delicious substitute for potato salad so good most never guess it's not potato salad.

#recipe8571

While there are many great Caesar Salad recipes out there I have yet to find one I haven't enjoyed - but when family gathers they expect to find their Caesar salad topped with our family favourite dressing 'Cathy's Caesar Dressing'

#recipe7456

When making your Caesar Salad use good quality croutons, better yet go with home made. Derf's homemade croutons the best ever! The smashed garlic really makes these wonderfully flavourful, he perfect addition to our Caesar Salad. Always love when easy tastes super good!

#recipe4489

We love homemade dressings, one of my favourite dressings is the old classic French Dressing, I suspect it's the malt vinegar and equal portions of vinegar and sugar we favour. I mix in my Magic Bullet and keep in the fridge, come mealtime a whizz or a quick shake and it's ready to pour into my salad server."

#recipe5201

We love green salads and love variety which sees a copy of Luvcookn's '6 Basic Pantry Salad Dressings' close at hand when we gather. With the greens being so lush this week I am looking to the Basic Vinaigrette for this weekend. Some wonderful choices!

#recipe23616

We are also fond of Russian Dressing, when planning salads for weekends Shadows Russian Dressing is far superior to any found on the market shelves.

#recipe7693

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri May 19, 2023 12:12 pm

Happy to see this morning's weather forecast for the weekend looks very promising for barbecue and gazebo time. Indoors or out there will be potato salad and devilled eggs and the must haves. As I have mentioned a number of times I like to add a new to us recipe or two to the weekend meals.

A must make here is #recipe127 come weekends using the dough cycle we love #recipe7246. I would love tried and true monkey bread pull apart versions using cheese, spices and such for afternoon coffee or refreshment time. Be great to come back and find members sharing monkey bread recipes they enjoy as well as special recipes enjoyed on holiday weekends.

#recipe127

#recipe7246

#recipe7248

Looking to see members adding their favourite recipes. :)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun May 21, 2023 10:28 am

As often happens on the May long weather plays a big part, early morning seems closed in, I do not see a smoke advisory but Saskatoon had a lot of smoke last night hoping for a clear and sunny day. Being so unpredictable we will see how the day unfolds. I didn't get to the rhubarb pie so will rely on freezer stash.

Have made a practise of adding a new to us recipe or two on holiday weekends, I was hoping this morning would have me see members sharing some of their favourites to choose from. Not seeing any had me decide to head to Billboard and check the offerings there, Tisme's Cucumber Salad caught my eye. I suspect it will be a winner as are all the Tisme's recipes I have made in the past, has been printed and added to my holiday list.

#recipe22051

No overnight guests this weekend but should have had ingredients on hand for morning coffee time. Adding two favourites as a reminder for next May.

#recipe2939

"This delicious coffee cake great for weekends and overnight guests. Prepare the night before, pop in the oven for breakfast, morning brunch or with mid morning coffee. Your guests will be ever so impressed!"

#recipe28363
One of my favourite make aheads for overnight guests. An easy to put together breakfast dish that is refrigerated and ready to pop in the oven in the morning. A real crowd pleaser and never fails to impress.

Now off to making my holiday breakfast, thinking to the gran who made and shared a recipe we all love. "They are not only delicious but make for awesome presentation. Perfect for that special breakfast, great addition to brunch. Next time you have breakfast guests and want to add something special to impress your family and friends, give these eggs a try. I know they really impressed us! "

#recipe5197

Happy weekend! :)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun May 21, 2023 10:58 am

Seeing Sue's mention of grilling salmon had me thinking to my Ontario gran my salmon grill master! I am really missing our grilling time which was always on for holiday long weekends. Been a couple years but last visit started with the July long and yes there was salmon! Reminds me I have a couple salmon steaks in my freezer!