Grocery Store Challenge Holiday Edition

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

Grocery Store Challenge Holiday Edition

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:35 pm

I will be away for the holidays at my mom's, so I wanted to make a new post for next week's challenge.

Hope you all have a great holiday season!

My challenge for next week will be to use up any leftover holiday goodies, foods, and ingredients in creative ways and avoid buying anything at the grocery store.

Roxanne

Re: Grocery Store Challenge Holiday Edition

Post by Roxanne » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Happy Holidays Heather! I hope you are having a great time at your mum's place.

I think I will fall in line with you this week with using up leftover holiday food, not buying unnecessary things in the grocery store and in my case, not making any more baked goods or desserts till I eat up whatever I already have here.

invictus

Post by invictus » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:12 pm

I am out of town next week at my mom's as well. I bought a few dollars worth ($40) in snacks and easy to make meals for my hubby who will be staying behind to work (no vacation time left right now).

I will probably put money towards food at my mom's so she doesn't have to bare the burden of feeding us all herself! We are a hungry brood.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:20 pm

My ham is my inspiration for this week. Ham today, tomorrow as leftovers as well, but different sides; then a simple pantry soup (every thing on hand), a easy pasta recipe, but NO meat, just zcucchini and nuts, very easy and again, everything in the fridge. Next is another ham quiche dish. Bisquick, cheese, onion, ham and maybe mushrooms ... easy with a salad on the side using up some of my cranberry sauce. And then out. But, my ham is used in 4 dishes, all different.

And I plan to use the ham in a sweet and sour dish the following week, and ham salad for lunch with crackers and maybe in a mac and cheese dish with some of the leftover broccoli ... Dinner may change during the week.

I also have turkey in the freezer, so I am planning to use that. Creamed turkey one night with my thyme biscuits ad roasted beets; and my creamed turkey and wild rice soup.

I have tortillas that I would love to make a black bean and green chili tortilla with spicy cheese, avocado and sour cream.

So ... I'm really using panty, freezer and fridge items the next 2 weeks. Other than NY' Eve which I am going out and NY' Day which I already have on hand (a mini turkey day), everything for the next couple of weeks is on hand. Maybe a few market ingredients, but not much.

Laury

Post by Laury » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:27 pm

We are going to be having a ham stir fry this week sometime.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:55 pm

Well, I posted 2x, but it never shows FRUSTRATING

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:13 pm

I hope you have a good time at your mums place invictus.

Kc, I love your ideas for using the leftovers. My only leftovers are macaroni pie and BBQ'ed chicken. The macaroni pie can be eaten with anything or by itself and the chicken breast in particular are going towards sandwiches. I am baking a loaf and some buns of Bea's recipe right now for that. I am thinking of doing some wontons with some as well cause I have skins in my freezer just sitting there.