Easter Dinner Plans ...

Moderators: Kchurchill5, LindasBusyKitchen

Kchurchill5

Easter Dinner Plans ...

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:07 pm

So, now that St Patty's Day is tomorrow ... it is time to start planning for Easter!
Easter is only 10 days away - Can you believe it?

Easter growing up; we were always on vacation in FL (from MI). So, dinner was always out. But, after vacation - we always celebrated Easter back home. We always had ham, spud salad; and, baked beans. Deviled eggs, usually a relish tray; and Mom always had mini eclairs for dessert.

Once married; and, now divorced, I pretty much stuck to the same thing. However, I have made a few lamb dinners (whole leg; and rack of lamb), several times. Holidays are pretty traditional for me.

Being single; I'm hoping to do lamb this year; I still have a ham bone in the freezer to use up. So, no more ham until I use that up.

To start ... a small relish tray w/deviled eggs of course, pickles, olives, etc during the day. Grilled rack of lamb w/herb mustard marinade, grilled asparagus ... and thinking risotto and a small citrus fruit salad.
If I do cheese and crackers during the day w/the relish tray - which is basically lunch; I may not do the risotto.
It depends if a friend or two stop over for dinner.

So, What Are Your Easter Plans?Image

Manadoo

Re: Easter Dinner ...

Post by Manadoo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Not cooking this year we are going over to friends place :D

Chaz

Post by Chaz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:20 pm

We always have a large ham and a huge amount of scalloped potatoes, also a jello mold a ton of vegetables and other things

Mom2Ava

Post by Mom2Ava » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Glazed ham, mashed potatoes, harvard beets, two different kinds of salad, bread rolls and a few other things

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:05 am

Ham seems to be popular. Scallop spuds sounds really good with that. Beets, Mom would often make a beet salad; I still enjoy that with ham.

I scored big time yesterday with rack of lamb; so, that will definitely be my go to.

Luvcookn

Re: Easter Dinner Plans ...

Post by Luvcookn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:14 pm

As I bought a whole lamb last fall...we are having leg of lamb, my Greek Roasted Potatoes and Gerry's Vegetable Bundles that I have been making for almost 4 years. And something light for dessert. Nothing too fancy...just good eats!

Mikekey

Post by Mikekey » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:13 pm

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Sounds good guys!!! I love the goat cheese tart; scallops was mentioned; and that sounds really good; depending on my guests, that may be a good dish to make - because I want something creamy.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:45 pm

These are some really simple and fun tips for a FUN and FANCY Easter Dinner Tips!

ICE CUBES - yes, so simple
- Puree lime juice, mint and basil leaves (or just mint), pour into a ice cube tray, and freeze
- Or, just drop chopped mint leaves in lime juice in an ice cube tray, and freeze
- You can also do this with orange juice as well

Top with Soda/Seltzer Water, lemonade, white cranberry juice; or white wine. Make a spritzer with white wine, sparkling soda water and the flavored ice cubes.
The orange is pretty for any day of the week.
----------------------------------------------------------
For easter, add edible flowers mixed with just water.
Or, freeze pomegranate juice to add to club soda; or ... even lime ade or lemonade for pastel colors.

You can even add a few drops of natural food coloring to just ice cubes; and make trays of pastel ice cubes. Fun for a punch or even just water glasses.

My friend froze jelly beans in the ice cube tray with water to serve to the kids. Fun in the water glasses.
---------------------------------------------------------
Dyed deviled eggs ... really easy; but, really pretty for St Patty's or Easter, Green of course for St P's Day.
I make these NO bake chocolate cookies; but, add creme de menthe ... Roll in a ball, dunk in chocolate and drizzle with green icing. Then, stick a stick in the; and, you have a simple easy to make dessert. Stick them in a flower pot. Yes, just add a ball of styrofoam to the any clay pot, cover with moss and stick in your lollipops. Instant dessert.