Starting your seeds yet?

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Marion_in_Savannah

Re: Starting your seeds yet?

Post by Marion_in_Savannah » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:33 am

Wow! Those plants are lush and beautiful. I'm going to be setting out some herbs today, after I finish weeding...

muffinlady

Post by muffinlady » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 pm

I want to start a porch garden as I live in apartment that is on stilts so no lawn whatsoever, so some of suggestions sound great. I had a topsy-turvy Not sure I want to get another. after 2 seasons or two years worth of planting the plastic became brittle, cracked and had to be tossed. Plus I tried to put in medium sized plants not sure size to use and it was hard to get them into the small hole. I had to get a neighbor to help me put in container. Image I planted a tomato not a flower

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:33 pm

The earth boxes come in different sizes which are nice and you can get them on wheels to, or a stand. They are pretty full proof.

My shoe rack planter works good if you have a wall. I have lettuces growing in mine and herbs on the top. It gets stuff off the ground. But you need to grow things that don't like LOTS of sun, like lettuces and herbs. For tomatoes ... they like a deep bit pot. Peppers can be in smaller pots, but still probably much bitter than most think. 3 gallons would be the smallest, and probably that would work for some of the smaller pepper plants.
The one thing nice with the earth box, if you don't water the whole planter, it is covered with a plastic covering and you water through a tube. So, it won't get over watered. Check it ever couple of days and water right in the tube. If you add too much, it comes out the bottom drain hole. So, it is very easy to take care us.

I find on a porch, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, and herbs are the easiest to grow and do well.