What's Up Today

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Sue

Re: What's Up Today

Post by Sue » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:08 pm

I thought it was originally to give farmers more time to plant and harvest in daylight but I don't get it. Modern farmers use machines.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:12 pm

I can see why that is puzzling Sue. I grew up on a farm, a lifetime of ranching and farming at the time most of the controversy made for the change here in Saskatchewan. I can assure you we had machinery and all required an operator. I personally put in many an 18 hour day, up with the sun and go as long as possible during the busy seasons. No clock watching by farmers! The few that did harvested what was left of the crop the following spring as well as loss of animals.The sun comes up each day clocks or no clocks. Just saying. :)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:21 am

Thinking to Time Zones I did some research last night,while being far to young to think of voting when Saskatchewan held a plebiscite in October 1956, results Urban voted CST Rural MST. Interestingly enough is Saskatchewan is geographically MST and now observes year around CST. Seems Daylight Saving Time goes back to the World Wars "It was believed that adjusting the time would encourage people to use less energy to light up their homes and reserve important resources for the war." So "Saskatchewan is technically always on DST and we never have to change our clocks." Rural voters did not vote for Daylight Savings Time. In any case thankful we do not do change clocks twice a year!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:40 pm

Beware of the Norovirus crud that is making the rounds!
If someone tells you they have it run as fast and as far away as possible, it is NO fun!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:51 pm

Hope you or your family were not victims of that extremely contagious virus Shadows. It doesn't allow much in the way of reading time or rest as nothing seems to help until runs it's course.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:28 am

Yes it is no fun, still not 100% but functioning.
Thanks for your concern Gerry!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:55 am

I find the term "still not 100% but functioning" describes the aftermath of a virus perfectly Shadows. While not the norovirus I picked up one of the super nasty flu bugs/viruses going around in our area, the Pedialyte and cracker kind. It's basically I'm wiped but functioning. Considering all the hand washing and gelling have to wonder!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:07 pm

I could not even keep cracker or water in me, made me so weak I had to stay either in bed or my recliner!
It is still not finished with me, don't want to eat anything for fear of what might happen.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:59 pm

It's amazing how the norovirus hangs on Shadows, it's very hard on anyone who relies on meds, as well one also needs substance, water and electrolytes.

I do not drink sports drinks but this week's grocery deliver saw the blue Gatorade included and stored in my storage fridge, if I never see that Pedialyte again it would not be too soon. Not much cooking happening at my house but managed to start my Easter stash as no way enough energy to do it all in a day or two! The norovirus is supposed to be rampant in the city so have to hope it stays well away. Take care!

Sue

Post by Sue » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:17 pm

Chilly and rainy here today. I wanted to grill some fajitas but there is a cold wind. Warm weather will be back, lickity split.
I hope everyone is feeling well.