Quantity or Quality Recipes: What's more important Zazz?

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

TeresaS

Re: Quantity or Quality Recipes: What's more important Zazz?

Post by TeresaS » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:31 pm

I'm going to be the devils advocate here...being a long time participant... I don't really care about either...quantity or quality...I think dienia b https://www.recipezazz.com/profile/3734 is the person who has posted the most recipes (quantity) and has been reviewed the most (quality) ..but her photos aren't the best (and she admits to it) sometimes it takes a bit of time to understand her recipe directions... but...she is well loved at FFF (food friends and fun)...she loves doing research for recipes and posting them here at zazz it's her hobby...just take a look at how many of her recipes are being reviewed currently at...St. Patrick's Day Event... which has really only "chef's" from FFF participating...OK...I'm done...:) I guess I'm not really done...at the St. Pappy's event...there are at least 16 of dee's recipes reviewed out of I lost count either 22 or 23...I'm wondering why this question is being asked...

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:46 pm

TeresaS wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:31 pm
I'm going to be the devils advocate here...being a long time participant... I don't really care about either...quantity or quality...I think dienia b https://www.recipezazz.com/profile/3734 is the person who has posted the most recipes (quantity) and has been reviewed the most (quality) ..but her photos aren't the best (and she admits to it) sometimes it takes a bit of time to understand her recipe directions... but...she is well loved at FFF (food friends and fun)...she loves doing research for recipes and posting them here at zazz it's her hobby...just take a look at how many of her recipes are being reviewed currently at...St. Patrick's Day Event... which has really only "chef's" from FFF participating...OK...I'm done...:) I guess I'm not really done...at the St. Pappy's event...there are at least 16 of dee's recipes reviewed out of I lost count either 22 or 23...I'm wondering why this question is being asked...
We love Dee's recipes :D I read through them as I approve them every day!! We appreciate all the time and effort she puts into posting her recipes for us all to enjoy!! I think we all do, right? The research she does is amazing!! In fact we think she would be great at helping us edit/fix some recipes that have errors in them. And we have asked her to help us do so. Hint hint Dee ;) lol...
Dee has posted close to 7000 recipes here, that's freakin' amazing!! And I have reviewed many of them and enjoyed all of them!
Keep those recipes and photos coming girlfriend!!!
Hey, we also agree, the St. Patty's day event is lit up with her recipes, you go girl... And thanks to our FFF chef's for participating.

TeresaS

Post by TeresaS » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:01 pm

QueenBea wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:46 pm
TeresaS wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:31 pm
We love Dee's recipes :D I read through them as I approve them every day!! We appreciate all the time and effort she puts into posting her recipes for us all to enjoy!! I think we all do, right? The research she does is amazing!! In fact we think she would be great at helping us edit/fix some recipes that have errors in them. And we have asked her to help us do so. Hint hint Dee ;) lol...
Dee has posted close to 7000 recipes here, that's freakin' amazing!! And I have reviewed many of them and enjoyed all of them!
Keep those recipes and photos coming girlfriend!!!
Hey, we also agree, the St. Patty's day event is lit up with her recipes, you go girl... And thanks to our FFF chef's for participating.
Bea...we love you popping in at FFF...but I take offence to the question...we all know that Dee...has been posting a ton of recipes for...the Irish event...along with her photo's...so I don't think for a second that Dave is impressed with her quality of photos...although I do think he has noticed the quantity of recipes she post...so that's why I'm wondering why this question is asked...

TeresaS

Post by TeresaS » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:06 am

JostLori wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:33 pm
Agree with everyone else - a photo shouldn't be required to post a recipe. Sometimes we post recipes so we don't have to remember multiple websites where there are recipes we want to make at some point in the future. Not only that, but then we couldn't include Recipezazz private recipes in games like "Only the Lonely" that aren't reviewed or have a photo. The St Pats game going on right now gives extra points for submitting a photo to a recipe that doesn't have one. If a recipe is private, we wouldn't know about it. And finally, it would really stymie our games at Food Friends and Fun, where we madly post recipes for regions, or food themes, for play in the game. At JAP, they say "Recipes without photos will not show in newest recipes but will still be searchable, shareable and visible in your kitchen profile." That seems reasonable!
Lori...it's nice to see you here at zazz...I've been trying to get more "chefs" to show up...so why aren't you playing with us at St. Patrick's Day EventI agree with you on how this could possibly be a negative effect on the games at FFF...

TeresaS

Post by TeresaS » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:13 am

Misa wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:58 pm
Hmmm, could you direct us to what makes a recipe low quality or an example, maybe we can make more specific suggestions? What are people finding to be a problem?
That's a good question...

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:22 am

TeresaS wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:06 am
JostLori wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:33 pm
Agree with everyone else - a photo shouldn't be required to post a recipe. Sometimes we post recipes so we don't have to remember multiple websites where there are recipes we want to make at some point in the future. Not only that, but then we couldn't include Recipezazz private recipes in games like "Only the Lonely" that aren't reviewed or have a photo. The St Pats game going on right now gives extra points for submitting a photo to a recipe that doesn't have one. If a recipe is private, we wouldn't know about it. And finally, it would really stymie our games at Food Friends and Fun, where we madly post recipes for regions, or food themes, for play in the game. At JAP, they say "Recipes without photos will not show in newest recipes but will still be searchable, shareable and visible in your kitchen profile." That seems reasonable!
Lori...it's nice to see you here at zazz...I've been trying to get more "chefs" to show up...so why aren't you playing with us at St. Patrick's Day EventI agree with you on how this could possibly be a negative effect on the games at FFF...
Ooh my, I would never want it to have a negative effect for anyone. Let’s just have fun and enjoy each other’s company.

TeresaS

Post by TeresaS » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:33 am

RZ-Admin wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:48 pm
Yes. It is reasonable to allow recipes without photos and to figure out other ways to determine what shows where.
OK...I can agree that it is reasonable to allow recipes without photos...good job Dave...what does figuring out other ways to determine what shows where...??? what does that mean...if you or someone else (twitter) say...that's an ugly photo...where do we put it...just asking...

I'm still looking for other good ideas on how to improve the quality of the recipes.
That's a good question...maybe someone...like you...could test the recipe to see if it needs improved...

Low quality recipes hinder people's experience on Zazz. So how can we improve our recipes?
Wow...I didn't know this...can you link me to your study...I can't give any possible ideas on how to improve recipes until I can study other people experience on Zazz...

RZ-Admin
Site Admin

Post by RZ-Admin » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:23 pm

Hi TeresaS,
Thanks for voicing your opinion. That's why I asked, I'm looking for opinions and ideas. I'm certainly not targeting anyone or any particular recipe. I love how much D contributes. Zazz wouldn't be what it is without her.

I have not done a study on quality.

On one hand, I have a anecdotal 'stories' from people I talk to who compare what they discover at Zazz to other cooking sites. Generally, they prefer the 'bigger more polished' sites. One of the first things they mention is the pictures. We have a lot of great recipes with great pictures. But we also have a lot of recipes with pictures taken 10+ years ago. It's no fault of the person who posted the picture, the quality of pictures has just improved a lot in 10 years.

Second, is more of a technical matter of quality. The traffic we get from search engines is 85% of the traffic. That's what pays the bills. So if our traffic goes down too much, we risk not being able to pay the bills. When search rankings go down, traffic goes down. Search rankings go down when the search engine finds better pages than ours to show at the top of the search results. Ultimately, this is another representation of quality. It's a relative measure, because it is in comparison to the other webpages out there.

If you want examples of what I'm talking about, maybe a better place to start is examples of our recipes that do well. Both with members and search engines. Then we can figure out ways to add more of that quality to the site.

RZ-Admin
Site Admin

Post by RZ-Admin » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:36 pm

I'll reply in line.
TeresaS wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:33 am
RZ-Admin wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:48 pm
Yes. It is reasonable to allow recipes without photos and to figure out other ways to determine what shows where.
OK...I can agree that it is reasonable to allow recipes without photos...good job Dave...what does figuring out other ways to determine what shows where...??? what does that mean...if you or someone else (twitter) say...that's an ugly photo...where do we put it...just asking...
-- JostLori mentioned that JAP doesn't show recipes without photos in the new recipes section. I'm agreeing that we can use similar criteria to give recipes with new photos more exposure while still making recipes without photos easy to find when looked for.

I'm still looking for other good ideas on how to improve the quality of the recipes.
That's a good question...maybe someone...like you...could test the recipe to see if it needs improved...
-- I do test the recipes and I've made minor edits to many. Like bolding headings. Adding links in the additional info box. Adding related recipes & categories.
I'm asking for input because I want Zazz to stay as a 'by the members for the members' community. If the members want me to stop asking for input and to just change whatever I decide without their input, I can do that too. Please tell me if asking for input is annoying & you'd rather I not.

Low quality recipes hinder people's experience on Zazz. So how can we improve our recipes?
Wow...I didn't know this...can you link me to your study...I can't give any possible ideas on how to improve recipes until I can study other people experience on Zazz...
-- I covered this in my previous post. If you ask a handful of people to try Zazz and get their feedback, that's about the extent of what I did.
I love seeing you stick up for D and Zazz, Teresa. :)

All the Zazz members can be proud of creating such a supportive and caring community.

Misa

Post by Misa » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:26 pm

So what I'm gathering is, photographs, good photographs, are a lynchpin, or at least a priority, for future growth and stability at this point in time.

Suggestion then - What about a monthly random gift card drawing for pictures posted to recipes? For example, one entry per photo, maybe a bonus entry for a recipe with no photos or a bonus for "quality" photo (although quality might need to be defined - it's the teacher in me, we have rubrics for everything). Wouldn't have to be a huge amount, but a nice bonus to maybe get people to consider adding pics, but wouldn't penalize folks that maybe don't have the artist eye or most current equipment for taking pictures.

Personally, thank you for asking for input. I've not been around much lately due to life, but I have known several members here that struck out from food.com because it lost the community feel and input from members when the site changed from it's original Recipezaar roots. I personally stick around here because of the smaller, family feel of people I know and trust to turn out a good meal over bigger sites, but at the end of the day, that isn't what covers the bills and metrics matter on the other side of the coin.

Edit - I realize our community events drive a lot of pictures posted now, which I love and miss getting to participate in, if most traffic is coming from a search they aren't probably actively participating in these events. I was just thinking a drawing might grab more of those folks versus mainly forum users or at least, maybe convert someone just looking for a quick supper idea into a more active user.