Kitchen collections

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Misa

Kitchen collections

Post by Misa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:46 am

Hey guys! Thought I'd start up a discussion because I'm curious what my fellow forum goers also collect that are kitchen related, and maybe what got them started. I know there are some others that share my loves around here. :D

I'll kick off -

My big love is Fiesta! Most of my collection is Post-86 and I use them everyday. I do have a few pieces for display above my cabinets. There are a precious few vintage pieces in my kitchen, but due to living in an area with lots of tourism, most vintage Fiesta I run across out in the wild is pretty pricey and I admire from afar. I also have some Fiesta relatives hanging around with some Harlequin, and my first OvenServe piece came to live with me this week. I fell in love with Fiesta as a teenager visiting an out of state aunt for a week one summer in the mid-90s. The art deco lines, the cheerful colors...her table looked so chic with the coordinating silverware. I started my own collection about 4 years ago when my husband and I decided to retire the mishmash of dishes we bought when we first got married and picked up along the way, thank goodness for the Dollar Tree at that time. :lol:

Pyrex - I have only a couple of pieces, but I enjoy reading about, learning to identify, and scouting for my mother, since she collects.

Funky vintage kitchen gear - My kitchen is pretty colorful with all the Fiesta, but I have some other random things that live above my cabinets like sour cream glass (with the lid!), a metal kid's play toaster with a rooster to keep my 70s plastic creamer with the cow head (you know the one) company. Yellow Tupperware salad tongs still in the box.

Red Willow dishes - My mom collected Blue Willow for a time. I remember as a kid a grocery store chain sold them with different pieces being on sale each week. A few years after being married myself, a chain did it again offering both the blue and red. I felt so grown up collecting enough for a 4 piece place setting and some of the serving pieces. They live in my dining room.

Cast Iron - This is more utilitarian for me than a collection for collecting sake. I own all newer Lodge pans (perk of living in said tourist area - I'm an hour drive from not 1, but 2 Lodge Outlet stores and a Bass Pro) but I quite like looking at pans and learning about the history of use. I think its remembering back to being little and even knowing then, my grandmother had one special cornbread pan, and woe be to anyone that thought of using it for anything else.

Alright, folks, I've babbled enough - what do you have?

Chef shapeweaver

Re: Kitchen collections

Post by Chef shapeweaver » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:59 pm

I too collect Fiestaware,but not for sometime ,too expensive.Mine are post 1986.
I also like to collectCuisinart Cookware. A bit pricey,but what the heck.
I got tired of replacing sub par cookware.
Not sure if this would count,but I have a VERY large collection of Taste of Home Cook Books.
Several other types of cookbooks have also found a home on my book shelves.
I have a couple of Cast Iron Skillets, and like your Grandmother one is completely
dedicated to cornbread.

Misa

Re: Kitchen collections

Post by Misa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 pm

I’ll count it. We won’t discuss the amount of cookbooks I have stacked everywhere. :oops: :lol: I have a few Taste of Home in there - they are awfully good ones.