High Altitude Bread

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Tink

Re: High Altitude Bread

Post by Tink » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:51 am

Unfortunately, raccy and Galley my bread turned out a bit of a flop......Literally!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I kept to the recipe, all I did was reduce the ingredients for a 1 1/2lb loaf because that's my BM's capacity. Oh well, back to the drawing board.....Even though the bread sunk it tasted really good. That's the joys of living at 6500ft. :D

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:40 am

ahhhh, sorry, but don't give up! Looks like it had a giant air bubble at the top. Sort of like my bread gets when it's rising the first 24 hours in the refridge. So you cut the recipe down by 25%? Did you use instant/bread machine yeast or regular yeast?

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 am

awwwwww Tink. Does your bread machine have a yeast recommendation for high altitude bread? I didn't have to cut back on yeast with this recipe but I sure have on others.

Tink

Post by Tink » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Galley, I used regular yeast, not quick rise. The ones you buy in those little packets. I did buy bread machine yeast recently but I wanted to use up what I had before I opened the BM yeast jar. The recipe Crocus posted was for a 2lb loaf of bread so I did have to reduce the ingredients to fit in my BM....I also used all-purpose flour as that is what the recipe called for, but I have a feeling I should have used better for bread flour.

raccy, with the ratio of flour/salt/sugar I didn't cut back on the yeast, one 1/4oz packet is just under 2 teaspoons which the recipe more or less called for, perhaps that could have been a factor why it failed. I have cut back yeast before so I'll try that next time.

I think basically its a really good recipe (it tasted great) I just need to find the happy medium for high altitude.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Maybe the next time try with instant yeast. When you convert a recipe from regular yeast to instant, you use 25% less yeast. This would make great bread for french toast, or my favorite . . . croutons. Just spread both sides with mayo, cut into cubes and bake in oven. People say MAYO, but it works and it's SOOOOO GOOD!

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:31 pm

raccy, with the ratio of flour/salt/sugar I didn't cut back on the yeast, one 1/4oz packet is just under 2 teaspoons which the recipe more or less called for, perhaps that could have been a factor why it failed. I have cut back yeast before so I'll try that next time. I have to admit that I have forgotten everything I ever knew about packet yeast. (I buy bags of yeast at Costco.) Usually I'll cut yeast by 1/4 for this altitude. Since you cut the recipe by a 1/4 and not the yeast, the yeast just might be the issue. You're right though. It's GOOD bread. So good I'll be making a half recipe tonight or tomorrow morning. I want to see if I can get a better "shape" for sammies. Sweetie LOVES this bread.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sweetie saw the smaller loaf of bread and wanted to know just how long I thought that would last. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crocus, have you ever used the dough to make rolls baked in a regular oven? Sweetie is a fan of rolls with different cheese or sesame seeds on top.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:32 am

racrgal wrote:raccy, with the ratio of flour/salt/sugar I didn't cut back on the yeast, one 1/4oz packet is just under 2 teaspoons which the recipe more or less called for, perhaps that could have been a factor why it failed. I have cut back yeast before so I'll try that next time. I have to admit that I have forgotten everything I ever knew about packet yeast. (I buy bags of yeast at Costco.) Usually I'll cut yeast by 1/4 for this altitude. Since you cut the recipe by a 1/4 and not the yeast, the yeast just might be the issue. You're right though. It's GOOD bread. So good I'll be making a half recipe tonight or tomorrow morning. I want to see if I can get a better "shape" for sammies. Sweetie LOVES this bread.
Just checked what a 1/4 oz of yeast equals. I thought it was 2 1/4 teaspoons but apparently it's almost 3 teaspoons.

Tink

Post by Tink » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:47 am

Galley_Wench wrote:
racrgal wrote:raccy, with the ratio of flour/salt/sugar I didn't cut back on the yeast, one 1/4oz packet is just under 2 teaspoons which the recipe more or less called for, perhaps that could have been a factor why it failed. I have cut back yeast before so I'll try that next time. I have to admit that I have forgotten everything I ever knew about packet yeast. (I buy bags of yeast at Costco.) Usually I'll cut yeast by 1/4 for this altitude. Since you cut the recipe by a 1/4 and not the yeast, the yeast just might be the issue. You're right though. It's GOOD bread. So good I'll be making a half recipe tonight or tomorrow morning. I want to see if I can get a better "shape" for sammies. Sweetie LOVES this bread.
Just checked what a 1/4 oz of yeast equals. I thought it was 2 1/4 teaspoons but apparently it's almost 3 teaspoons.
Wow, I didn't realise those little packets held that much yeast (Galley, I also thought it held just over two teaspoons). That would definitely be a factor on why it failed. I'll try the recipe again, perhaps this weekend and this time use less yeast. I'll let you gals know how it turns out.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:53 am

The little yeast packets may also have changed over the years. Manufactures are changing SO many package sizes these days. I've been buying yeast in bulk and measuring for so long, I don't know squat about packages of yeast. :oops: