High Altitude Bread

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Tink

High Altitude Bread

Post by Tink » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Even with my bread machine I still find bread making a challenge as I live at an altitude of 6500ft (Lake Tahoe, California). I only use the dough cycle and then bake the bread in my oven which gives me good results.

Most of the bread I make is ok, but nothing like I can buy in a decent bakers (which costs an arm and a leg these days). So, I was wondering if any other peeps had this challenge and any tips and tricks they have come across that can be shared? Any favorite high altitude bread recipe that anyone has perfected?

racrgal

Re: High Altitude Bread

Post by racrgal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:25 pm

I'm at 4,500 ft, Tink. Bread seems to have a mind of it's own here. I'm making a recipe Crocus posted for "everyday bread" today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Tink: I understand the challenge . . . during the summer we live in the mountains at 7,000 feet. I bought several books about baking at high altitude but the best one was from a Colorado Home Extension . . . here's a link to some great info. http://www.swcoloradohome.com/articles/ ... 0114_b.asp

My biggest problem is the dryness . . . we seldom have humidty over 20%, so adding more liquid was the answer for me. It's difficult to know this unless you can touch and feel it, so I never use a bread machine up there. I like the stretch and pull method the best!

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:16 pm

The recipe Crocus posted worked perfectly here today. Soft, moist and oooooooooo so good. :)

Tink

Post by Tink » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks for the link Galley_Wench I've booked marked it to read later. I too have a high altitude cookbook that I purchased many years ago by Beverly M. Anderson and Donna M. Hamilton. It's a good one, and I refer to it from time to time. The stretch and pull method is really the best Galley, but with my hands I just can't do it anymore that's pretty much why I use the dough cycle on my BM.

I'll be sure to check out Crocus bread recipe raccy, and thanks for sharing that. I'm always on the look out for decent bread, there is nothing better than smelling fresh baked bread right out of the oven. I don't have too many flops these days as I'm careful to measure out ingredients but what I can't seem to get right is the texture. I do love a chewy outta crust and a soft dense interior which is what I grew up with back home in the U.K.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:07 pm

Tink, I'm sorry I didn't leave a link yesterday. http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/white- ... pound-loaf

Tink

Post by Tink » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks raccy, I did already find it and put it in my favorites so I'll try it out soon and let you know how it turns out.

Your pictures look amazing. Yum!

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Thank, Tink. All of this bread talk made me crave a piece of toast and jelly. That recipe toasts beautifully!

Tink

Post by Tink » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Crocus's bread recipe is in my machine right now, I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again raccy. :D

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Tink wrote:Crocus's bread recipe is in my machine right now, I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again raccy. :D
So, how did it turn out Tink? Spent my day doing . . . huh, well not much!!! Between lunch with the ladies and the Chiropractor . . . I didn't accomplish anything! Have dough in the fridge that should have been baked today . . . will do it tomorrow, we'll see what I've got! :P