Automatic Bread Machines --

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Galley_Wench

Automatic Bread Machines --

Post by Galley_Wench » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:06 pm

What kind of ABM do you have and are you happy with it?

HeatherFeather

Re: Automatic Bread Machines --

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:33 am

I have an older model of a Sunbeam machine (until I doubled checked I could have sworn it was an Oster). I am happy with it, although I wouldn't mind something with a few more newer features. It makes good bread and I don't have any issues with it.

I have had it for years now and so it doesn't have some of the latest features and it is just a boring looking big white egg shape. It isn't ugly at all, but it could blend in better with my kitchen decor.

It seems to still be on amazon:
Sunbeam Bread Machine

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:44 am

HeatherFeather wrote:I have an older model of a Sunbeam machine (until I doubled checked I could have sworn it was an Oster). I am happy with it, although I wouldn't mind something with a few more newer features. It makes good bread and I don't have any issues with it.

I have had it for years now and so it doesn't have some of the latest features and it is just a boring looking big white egg shape. It isn't ugly at all, but it could blend in better with my kitchen decor.

It seems to still be on amazon:
Sunbeam Bread Machine
It kind of looks like the one I had years ago that 'walked' itself right off the counter on to the floor. The one I have now is a Breadman Pro . . . big rectagular stainless steel box that has 14 different settings. I used it on the boat, seldom use it here as I have my Kichen Aid, but it works great. What are the different selections on yours . . .this has Whole Wheat all the way down to Jam and Pasta.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Mine has 3 settings for crust color (Light, Medium, Dark) and a digital timer to tell you exactly how long the machine has left. I can choose the following settings:
Basic, Quick, Rapid, Dough/Pasta, Bake, Whole Wheat, Sweet, French

I mainly use the Basic, Dough, Whole Wheat, and Sweet settings. I almost always use the default crust setting, which is Light.

I would like to have a jam setting. Some machines also have a butter setting.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:53 pm

I don't have a butter setting, but my machine is about 5 years old . . . I'm sure there have been new developments! I can set the crust setting. What do you bake the most, yeast, quick breads?

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Galley_Wench wrote:I don't have a butter setting, but my machine is about 5 years old . . . I'm sure there have been new developments! I can set the crust setting. What do you bake the most, yeast, quick breads?
I almost never bake quick breads in my bread machine - although I did try it out when I first got the machine. It worked out ok. I usually make a couple of quick bread loaves at a time, so I just stick to the hand stirred way for those recipes. (Besides - I really don't have any quick bread recipes specifically designed for the machine).

I bake yeast breads and I also mix up dough for pizza and rolls in the machine. I never tried making pasta in the machine, although I should some time.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:06 pm

I have made some quick breads using the overnight setting . . . love to wake up to the smell of banana bread. I usually do them by hand too!

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Galley_Wench wrote:I have made some quick breads using the overnight setting . . . love to wake up to the smell of banana bread. I usually do them by hand too!
That is a great idea! I bet that is one amazing scent to wake up to. I was always afraid it would be like glue in the morning, so I have never tried the timer feature.

Chocolatl

Post by Chocolatl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:48 pm

I have a Sunbeam that's several years old. I'm quite happy with it, except for the fact that turning it off doesn't reset the cycle. I've usually been using the dough cycle lately. When my son was small, I used to set the machine on the delay cycle and then take him off to the pool. We'd come back in the afternoon, and we'd have fresh bread to go with our salad--very convenient!

Crocus

Post by Crocus » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:50 am

I have a Zojirushi (2 lb. model) that I purchased this past spring. I have bought only 2 loaves of bread since I got it - one because I forgot to make any and the 2nd was a loaf of rye bread when I got a craving for a Reuben sandwich. I buy Five Roses all purpose flour in 20 kg bags for $12 and change. I've used 2 bags since buying the Zo but not all of it went into bread. We previously were spending $8-$10 a week for bread & buns. Oh, and I buy smaller amounts of multi-grain and other flours but don't use them too often. So I think this machine has pretty much already paid for itself.

I make bread & dough for pizzas, buns, etc. I baked banana bread in it once but wasn't too impressed with that. It does make beautiful bread/doughs and I make several different kinds. I always weigh my flour and keep notes until I get the perfect amount. Once I have tweaked recipes into keepers I print them out, a few to a sheet (both sides) and laminate them. I just do this for ABM recipes since I use them so frequently. They kick around on my counter and if they get splashed with something I can wipe them off. They are always handy and if someone asks for a recipe they are easy to photocopy.