R.I.P. Mr. Rival, You will be Missed

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Kchurchill5

R.I.P. Mr. Rival, You will be Missed

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 am

My old Rival round crock pot bit the dust.

Plugged it in yesterday and no light. I haven't given up, my friend who plays around with fixing things said it would take a look. But, I'm afraid it is RIP. I still have my newer and bigger one. But I loved that little guy. I tried to remember when I got it; and it was my wedding. So that was 28 years. Way to go little Rival, way to go!!

I think I got my moneys worth, don't you?

Sue

Re: R.I.P. Mr. Rival, You will be Missed

Post by Sue » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Save the crock and lid, which you can use as a clay cooker in the oven.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Someone else told me that too. Definitely.

But good news. Waiting for AC guys, I decided to take a look. Well, BAD plug seemed to be my best guess. Changed the plug, new wiring, and presto.

She is back up and running. I am thrilled. I am making stock to test it out. Seems good to go. The wire had corroded a bit around the plug connectors. I'm a happy camper. She was 28, so she's got a good 5 more at least left in her.

She is a her, by the way, LOL.

And if you know me and my Dad, we always have spare parts of just about anything in our garage ... we love to fix things ourselves. So this was a quickie fix it. I don't like too much electrical things, but this was a piece of cake.

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Yay! 8-)

Salt water corrodes and kills wiring, grows baby sharks. What's not to hate? :lol:

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:Someone else told me that too. Definitely.

But good news. Waiting for AC guys, I decided to take a look. Well, BAD plug seemed to be my best guess. Changed the plug, new wiring, and presto.

She is back up and running. I am thrilled. I am making stock to test it out. Seems good to go. The wire had corroded a bit around the plug connectors. I'm a happy camper. She was 28, so she's got a good 5 more at least left in her.

She is a her, by the way, LOL.

And if you know me and my Dad, we always have spare parts of just about anything in our garage ... we love to fix things ourselves. So this was a quickie fix it. I don't like too much electrical things, but this was a piece of cake.
Glad you were able to fix it K! It has many more years of use in it, ours is 11 years older then yours and still going strong. It is one of the first one piece CPs, no light, only a dial that says low and high. We use it all the time.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:47 pm

KC, sorry to hear about your apparent demise of the ole Rival gal. And, I'm glad to hear that news of her death was premature ;) . I have both a Rival(round), and a Westbend (oblong). I love them both, and both are at least 28 yrs. old. I am overly fond of the West Bend. It has a hotplate that has a "coated" pot that rests on it, with a glass cover. So, it's a griddle, casserole, and a "pot" that can also be used in the oven. I will surely mourn "her" passing, and she is showing several signs of aging :x . I have seen one on ebay that I almost bought. Next time around, I'll make the purchase.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:19 pm

I almost tossed her, then I called my electrician friend and he told me a few tricks and to check the plug. Long and behold. It was an easy fix. I am thrilled.

And shadows, yep, this thing just keeps going, I love it. I do have a light. L, M and H, but nothing more.

Temp and control is so much better than my bigger one. But, I do enjoy the larger for the size when doing ribs, or a large tenderloin, but otherwise, I use my small one

Yes Deep, it was sad, but CPR was successful! - I was a very happy Ma Ma, lol.