Need input regarding St. Louis-style ribs!

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
TwoSocks

Need input regarding St. Louis-style ribs!

Post by TwoSocks » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Calling all real men/barbecue experts/enthusiasts! If there are any here.....
I have, in my freezer, about 8 lbs. of St. Louis-style ribs and would like some input on how best to cook these beauties. I did not grow up in pork country, and despite a culinary education and several years spent in the South, I know little about the different cuts of pork ribs and how best to cook them. I own a smoker, but have heard that many cuts of ribs, both pork and beef, do not do well with dry heat cooking methods such as smoking and grilling, but I don't know if this applies to this particular cut or not. So, any input will be most welcome.
TwoSocks

racrgal

Re: Need input regarding St. Louis-style ribs!

Post by racrgal » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Ribs are a bit like frying chicken, everyone does it differently. That said, I bring ribs to room temp, use a dry rub, grill LOW and SLOW and sauce in the last 20-30 minutes. Indirect heat between 200-225 degrees. It takes a couple of hours but they are fall off the bone tender.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:10 am

I know I am really late in posting to this question, but wanted all to know that Racr was exactly correct. This style just means that the "tough" membrane has been removed. Using a dry rub and then adding sauce is typically how they are prepared. ;) You can grill them or slow cook in the oven, but either way doesn't make them St Louis style, just the removing of the membrane does.

Denise

Post by Denise » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 am

Yep, that is how we grill them. Just had them last Sunday. We do exactly two hours, indirect heat, mesquite. Check to see if there is good "bend" when we pick them up. We typically don't do a sauce, just a dry rub.

Denise

Post by Denise » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 am

Yep, that is how we grill them. Just had them last Sunday. We do exactly two hours, indirect heat, mesquite. Check to see if there is good "bend" when we pick them up. We typically don't do a sauce, just a dry rub.

TwoSocks

Post by TwoSocks » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:29 pm

I know I've nglected this post for a while, but I just wanted to say thanks for the comments that were shared. I can't believe I still haven't cooked those ribs yet, but I ill for sure. Helping the wife run our business and baking dozens of loaves of bread along with all the other holiday demands can do that to a guy.

Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:34 pm

Dissie wrote:This style just means that the "tough" membrane has been removed.
St. Louis style ribs have the sternum and rib tips removed. Basically, St. Louis style ribs don't have pieces full of cartilage. You know, the little pieces that come off the ends of the bone (sternum) and the weird angled piece at the end of the rack (rib tips).
You can remove the membrane from the backs of all ribs, and please do!
Cook the same as other ribs.