How to tenderize beef stew meat

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Cilla

Re: How to tenderize beef stew meat

Post by Cilla » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Great instructions Mary. I also like to brown on stove top and finish up in oven. I have also used stove top on low but it is just so much easier to put in oven for the simmering until tender and keeps your stove top clear for other things. Dutch ovens are wonderful for slow cooked meals.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:42 pm

MaMere wrote:Hi Roxanne~ I haven't experienced a change in flavor to the meat, BUT, I would say to test try it first, with a few pieces, to make sure it doesn't change flavor for you, as all our taste buds are very unique!
Gosh I missed a lot regarding the tea! But I will do that MaMere, better safe than sorry.

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Roxanne wrote:
MaMere wrote:Hi Roxanne~ I haven't experienced a change in flavor to the meat, BUT, I would say to test try it first, with a few pieces, to make sure it doesn't change flavor for you, as all our taste buds are very unique!
Gosh I missed a lot regarding the tea! But I will do that MaMere, better safe than sorry.

i hope it works for you as well, Roxanne

Crocus

Post by Crocus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Great post Mary.

I would just like to add that I always find that stew that is chilled overnight and reheated is more tender and flavorful.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Crocus wrote:Great post Mary.

I would just like to add that I always find that stew that is chilled overnight and reheated is more tender and flavorful.
Crocus, I feel this may apply with many soup recipes. Lots of times when I make fish or chicken soup, it tastes better the next day when reheated.

Bel-Canto

Post by Bel-Canto » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:45 pm

It's hard to deny the effectiveness of a meat mallet -- and it doesn't put any chemicals into the meat. I use it all the time and my tough cuts of beef areways tender. Really, all you're wanting to do is to break down the fiber which causes the meat to be tough.

Good luck,

pat

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:01 pm

I don't have a meat mallet, but sounds like it is worth looking into. Thanks Pat.