What's Everyone Reading?

KathyD

Re: What's Everyone Reading?

Post by KathyD » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:39 pm

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. I'm in a book club, and it was last month's selection. It was a frustrating read. Very ambiguous and difficult to follow. Honestly, I skimmed most of it because it was so annoying.

Kid Carolina by Heidi Schakenburg is our book for November and I'm hoping it's more enjoyable.

I have a love/hate relationship with book clubs. As soon as I "have to" read a book, I dig in my heels and don't want to read it. I guess that it reminds me of school homework and that's my ingrained reaction. Then I always dread dissecting the book at our meeting, but after every meeting, I walk away pleased with the discussion. Sometimes I just don't understand myself! However, I've read some interesting books that I would not have found otherwise. So I guess overall, as much as I resent being told what to read, it's a positive thing.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:12 am

Kathy, I belong to two Book Clubs here. I understand exactly what you are saying. The 1st Book Club that I joined consider themselves to be the elite of book clubs. Highly educated members but a little full of themselves. Some of the books chosen were hard to digest but then again I did enjoy many of them. I would never have chosen such a book myself. Deadlines on reading a book can be hard when life gets in the way. Also I find that some of the discussions can turn a little nasty if a member does not agree.

The second club I belong to is my favorite. Not only do we read books but see plays & dinners (new restaurants). This is a group of working mothers & more relaxed. The books chosen are always voted on 6 months prior by the members.

For me books are like food. If you say I should try it I will. I just can't say that I will enjoy 100%.

I believe that the library is a wonderful place. Due to the expense of reading today this is the way to go. Everyone has their own tastes as have been pointed out many times in these threads & many others I have hosted over the years. I think the love/hate relationships with Book Clubs is that we have too many people telling us what we should like. If you disagree then you get the feeling that you are inferior. For some reason people have forgotten the reason for reading is "enjoyment".

KathyD

Post by KathyD » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:04 am

Ah, Ninner, I'm glad to hear your thoughts! As much as I whine about it, I'm sticking with it. The time deadline to read a book is okay with me -- members are very open about saying they didn't finish a book. Although I do take the same approach I did with school work, and wait until the last minute to get the book read (cramming always works for me). Plus then the story line is fresh in my head. I do find that I pay closer attention to plot details and character names than I normally would because I'm going to have to discuss them later.

Mickie

Post by Mickie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:16 am

I've just started the new Laura Childs cozy mystery, Skeleton Letters. It's part of her Scrapbooking series.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:32 am

Just finished If You Ask Me by Betty White. This is a SHORT book. I'm talking 72 pages short. It was a nice way to spend an evening. I felt like I was sitting at my kitchen table listening to Betty telling stories. A fun read.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:54 pm

KathyD wrote:Ah, Ninner, I'm glad to hear your thoughts! As much as I whine about it, I'm sticking with it. The time deadline to read a book is okay with me -- members are very open about saying they didn't finish a book. Although I do take the same approach I did with school work, and wait until the last minute to get the book read (cramming always works for me). Plus then the story line is fresh in my head. I do find that I pay closer attention to plot details and character names than I normally would because I'm going to have to discuss them later.
Kathy, I am so glad to hear back from you so quickly! In my 1st elite group not having read the finished the book is a killer. I really do like the more "rounded" groups that offer more interests.

In university we would often use the "Cole's Notes" for written presentations. I think we lose more from doing this then reading the books. As you said "having" to read the book was a problem.

I like both of my Book Clubs for different reasons. I do like the second one that introduces me to things I have never seen.

I will be back to post more to the other members. I am sorry that I am running out of time. Life is getting in the way.

GibsonGirl

Post by GibsonGirl » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:27 pm

Tonight I am fixing to start re-reading a book that I read a few years ago and enjoyed immensley, The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.
It is very unusual for me to re-read any book as there are always books that I am anxious to read for the first time. That said, my sister is starting this book and I wanted to read along so we could discuss it.
If you like history and mystery this one will stay with you for years.........

"The Devil in the White City is historical fiction that spans the years surrounding the building of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, also known as The World's Columbian Exposition, which was designed to commemorate the landing of Columbus in America. This nonlinear novel is divided into four parts with the first three parts of the novel primarily taking place in Chicago between the years 1890–1893. However, Part IV of the novel takes the reader to Philadelphia circa 1895. In The Devil in the White City, author Erik Larson uses extensive research to recreate the lives of two real men and to reinvent Chicago during the World's Columbian Exposition. In the process, he creates two separate, yet connected plot lines and attempts to fill in some of the gaps left by history. One plot line centers on Daniel Burnham, the architect who builds the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. The other plot line focuses on character H.H. Holmes, the serial killer who exploits the fair to find his victims."

~G.~G.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:14 am

Mickie wrote:I've just started the new Laura Childs cozy mystery, Skeleton Letters. It's part of her Scrapbooking series.
I have seen "Laura Childs" mentioned many times on the bestsellers lists. I had to go & look up the series which this book is number 9.

Thank you for the recommendation Mickie. I will add the 1st book in the series to my library list.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:21 am

racrgal wrote:Just finished If You Ask Me by Betty White. This is a SHORT book. I'm talking 72 pages short. It was a nice way to spend an evening. I felt like I was sitting at my kitchen table listening to Betty telling stories. A fun read.
Interesting subject Racrgal. I have always enjoyed her over the years. She was on Saturday Live not long ago. 72 pages is "small". I will add it to my library list. With winter coming on it sounds like an enjoyable read by the fireplace.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:29 am

GibsonGirl wrote:Tonight I am fixing to start re-reading a book that I read a few years ago and enjoyed immensley, The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.
It is very unusual for me to re-read any book as there are always books that I am anxious to read for the first time. That said, my sister is starting this book and I wanted to read along so we could discuss it.
If you like history and mystery this one will stay with you for years.........

"The Devil in the White City is historical fiction that spans the years surrounding the building of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, also known as The World's Columbian Exposition, which was designed to commemorate the landing of Columbus in America. This nonlinear novel is divided into four parts with the first three parts of the novel primarily taking place in Chicago between the years 1890–1893. However, Part IV of the novel takes the reader to Philadelphia circa 1895. In The Devil in the White City, author Erik Larson uses extensive research to recreate the lives of two real men and to reinvent Chicago during the World's Columbian Exposition. In the process, he creates two separate, yet connected plot lines and attempts to fill in some of the gaps left by history. One plot line centers on Daniel Burnham, the architect who builds the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. The other plot line focuses on character H.H. Holmes, the serial killer who exploits the fair to find his victims."

~G.~G.
Thank you for the lovely write up on this book Gibson! I was trying to remember the author & what I had read of his. Then I remembered he is presently listed on the bestsellers list for his non fiction "In The Garden Of The Beasts".

I love anything to do with history & will add this to my library list. I think it is nice that you & your sister are reading this together.