What Are You Reading 2022

Gerry

What Are You Reading 2022

Post by Gerry » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:08 pm

Went through my 2021 read lists, was surprised to find just how many books I have not reviewed. My top two favourites were equally enjoyed, Never Leave Your Wingman by Deanna Drever and the
Grape Series by Laura Bradbury. My third choice is Ruth Wares The Woman In Cabin 10
I am looking forward to making a number of Laury Bradbury recipes from her
Bisous and Brioche: Classic French Recipes and Family Favorites from a Life in France

What are you reading?

Luvcookn

Re: What Are You Reading 2022

Post by Luvcookn » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:39 pm

I have just started reading John Grisham's Skipping Christmas. It is a humorous book which is quite a change from his usual genre of subjects! Quite different in a wonderful way.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:30 pm

Hi Patti, read many of John Grisham's books over the years. Thank you for the heads up on 'Missing Christmas' It has been added to my holds.

Have to love Christmas gift bags with gifts from the heart, each carefully chosen. A surprise was a Prairie book growing up on a prairie farm, just down the road from here 'A lucky Prairie Boy' by Douglas Brewster. "Doug grew up in Earl Grey, Saskatchewan, but the pursuit of knowledge carried him all across Saskatchewan and Alberta, as well as to other areas of Canada and the United States" It brought back many memories, I remember all too well the cold winters on the farm before electricity.

This weekend 'The Farm in The Green Mountains' by Alice Herden Zuckmayer.

What are you reading?

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:24 am

Both books sound like a delightful reads! :-) Love local lore!

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:43 am

Just finished a book called "When Crickets Cry" by Charles Martin. It's about life-long love, loss and hope through a little girl selling lemonade. It's a tearjerker in places, but also a page-turner.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:49 pm

Lovinretirement, I have added 'Where Crickets Cry' to my Library holds. Should be available in a couple weeks. 'Skipping Christmas' is a few months down the road.

Just downloaded 'Call Me Indian: From the Trauma of Residential School to becoming the NHL's First Treaty Indian Player' by Saskatchewan author Fred Saskamoose. I was impressed with his words "I hope my story reminds my people that while it might not be a world made for us, it’s a world we can make better by being proud of who we are and where we come from." I think that we should all be proud of who we are and where we come from and do what we can to make this a better place.

Then on to my Cloud Reader 'Life On The Rez: An Indian's Journey Through Reservation Life' by David Trever. "A prize-winning writer offers “an affecting portrait of his childhood home, Leech Lake Indian Reservation, and his people, the Ojibwe”

What are You Reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:28 pm

I just started "In Memory of Memory" by Maria Stepanova and I think this will be very good and enjoyable plus thought provoking read. going through photographs, postcards, letters and diaries of a deceased relative.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:24 pm

I just started and maybe finish "Beyond the Great River ( People of the Longhouse Book 1 " by Zoe Saadie.
I might put this book down because of the inaccuracies in the portrayal of these people and the time period.
Some of the phrases and wording are just blatantly WRONG!
Zoe is also just plain wordy to the point you lose track of what is supposed to be happening.
I picked this book to read in interest as a historical interpreter ( reenactor of the time period ) and am just glad it was a freebie from Bookbub.
I know it is not presented as historical, but one would think some effort in research would go into the subject before this book was written.
A plain waste of time for me.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:42 pm

Ellie, will be watching for your review on "In Memory of Memory" it sounds like it should be an interesting read.

Shadows, sorry "Beyond the Great River ( People of the Longhouse Book 1" is a historical novel that doesn't follow through with historical facts. Had I not missed the listing on Book Bub I likely would have ordered it and been disappointed as well.

I am looking forward to the CBC Reads to see which five of the 15 books will be chosen tomorrow! I am now reading one of the 15. "Five Little Indians" by Michelle Good a Cree writer and retired lawyer, as well as a member of Red Pheasant Cree Nation in Saskatchewan. "In Five Little Indians, Kenny, Lucy, Clara, Howie and Maisie were taken from their families and sent to a residential school when they were very small. Barely out of childhood, they are released and left to contend with the seedy world of eastside Vancouver.

I have "Spoon Stealer" by Leslie Crew who lives in Novia Scotia and the author of ten novels on hold. Its said to be a novel that will bring you from laughter to tears.

I suspect Five Little Indians will be among the five.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:35 pm

The 5 choices for Canada Reads ... As I thought "Five Little Indians " by Michelle Good made the cut was first on the list, along with "Scarbourgh" by Catherine Hernandez "What Strange Paradise" by Omar El Akkad, titles which I already had on hold. Will wait for reviews before adding "Life in The City of Dirty Waters" by Clayon Thomas -Muller. I already had read Esi Edugyan's "Washington Black"

On hold from the long list I have "The Spoon Stealer" by Leslie Crewe, and "On My Mothers Back" by Njoki Wane on hold. Will have to wait til end of March for the winner.