What Are You Reading 2024

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2024

Post by Gerry » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:13 pm

My last read "The Other Mrs.: A Thrilling Suspense Novel" by Mary Kubica is said to have "everything you need from the genre: a small-town murder, a killer on the loose, and an eerie old house" It also has shocking twists and turns. Suspense and Thrillers are relativity new to my read list, admittedly I still prefer non fiction but find the suspense thrillers for most part fun reads. I could not give this one a five, suspect it is likely because I like a book to flow rather than 'character chapters' as I call them. It did keep me reading and did have surprises.

My next read is Rudy Wiebe's childhood memoir, "Of This Earth: A Mennonite Boyhood in the Boreal Forest," which won the Charles Taylor Prize for Literary Nonfiction (considered to be the country's most prestigious literary nonfiction prize)

What are you reading?

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2024

Post by Gerry » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:55 pm

I enjoyed a recently released childhood memoir by Rudy Wiebe 'Of This Earth:A Mennonite Boyhood in The Boreal Forest ' "His immigrant family cut a farm out of stony bushland in remote Saskatchewan. They hand-dug their well, climbed a ladder to their beds under the rafters, farmed with horses, and traveled by sleigh on the frontier" A good read.

'Warning: When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple' only 33 pages and very inexpensive on Kindle, is an absolute fun read written by Jenny Joseph. "Voted Britain's favourite poem, 'Warning', written in 1961, is known and loved the world over for its message of old age as a time for indulgence and fun"

Seeing I had never heard of Miles Taylor, reviews had me order his book 'Blowback' from my e library. Surprised to find I was one on one seeing to an immediate loan. Said to read "like a thriller, terrifying and the most frightening book written by an insider at the White House" So far an eye opener.

What are you reading?

I