Moderators: Shadows1, QueenBea

QueenBea

Re: Maple Syrup

Post by QueenBea » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:30 pm

Tisme wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:19 pm
QueenBea wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:08 am
I often wonder how one came up with the idea of boiling the sap to make syrup... Let's make a hole in this tree, collect the sap that comes out of it then boil it until there is almost nothing left....
lol.... :lol: :lol:
I thought I was the only one who wondered those sorts of things.

Bush tucker, is any food that's native to Australia. It has always been used as sustenance by Indigenous Australians, the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Bush Tucker is a range of Australian native plants with edible fruits, nuts, seeds and leaves. All indigenous food native to the land.
My favorite is Finger Lime. I am impatiently waiting for mine to grow.
Just a few are Desert quandong, Bunya nut, Desert lime,Lemon myrtle, Bush coconut and Bush Tomato.
Wow, I find this very interesting..... So cool what grows in different continents!

Tisme

Post by Tisme » Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:48 am

QueenBea wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:29 pm
Shadows1 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:31 am
I can honestly say we have a Sugar Maple or two in our yard and one winter a major branch broke from ice and the sap was dripping for several days before it stopped. Might be how sugaring was discovered.
That is probably a very close deduction Lee!
Yeh... that's probably it! :)
I went out shopping today to the garden center..... lol.
No Luck, but it is coming into winter here, so in a few months I may have more luck.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:39 am

So we will sitting out basking in the sun and grilling in July while you will be bundled up by the fireplace eating comfort food.....

RZ-Admin
Site Admin

Post by RZ-Admin » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:56 pm

Thanks for the pictures and sharing how it's made. Is there a 'maple syrup from scratch' recipe? Wondering:
How deep do you drill the holes?
Is spring the best or right time to do it?
Do you have some kind of special 'plug' that you put in the wood to attach the hoses to?
Do you boil or simmer the sap? Is the idea just to evaporate the moisture?

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:12 pm

I have not yet posted a recipe. But to answer your questions:
The holes are about 1 1/2" to 2' deep on a slight upward angle.
In this region (Northern Ontario) the trees are tapped early to mid March, generally when the snow starts to melt.
There are Tree tapping kits you can buy on Amazon, or Cabelas or Pro Bass Shops. It comes with everything you need to tap the trees.
And lastly, we just put the sap in a large pot and cook it over a campfire until it is reduced to liquid gold....
For this batch, 45 liters of collected sap cooked over a campfire for close to 20 hours, produced about 7 cups of maple syrup.