Potluck Football Party - share your favourite recipes!

Moderator: Gerry

KittenCal

Re: Potluck Football Party - share your favourite recipes!

Post by KittenCal » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Gerry wrote:
Someone is super organized! Just knew there had to be some football fans out here.'
I'm betting there's going to be some great party foods at your house come Sunday!

PS loving your party cookbook - I want to come to YOUR New Year's Eve party! :D

Come on football fans we're on a roll - bring on the recipes - photos welcome!

GO BOMBERS GO!

Ger hop on a plane and get over here for new years, I would LOVE nothing more than to have you come and join the fun!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:46 am

I don't actually have any favorites. Honestly. Being in FL, we are still outside grilling, so we tend to try to do a lot of that vs inside food.

If we have a football party, we try to make a theme based on what team is playing. For example. Tampa vs New Orleans; we do jambalaya, or catfish with red beans and rice and appetizers are based around that.

Buffalo vs Tampa. We do buffalo wings or buffalo sandwiches, beef on wick sandwiches, etc.

Phili ... Cheese steaks
Green Bay ... beer cheese soup, brats,
MN ... we did grilled walleye, a wild rice casserole, creamy mushrooms soup.

We don't do anything fancy like a sit down dinner, it is still very casserole and we still enjoy a few dips and munchies, but it is all based around the theme for the team.

I guess we do it a bit different that way.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:16 am

We really aren't all that different here KC, admittedly we don't have all that many football teams but many the theme party happens here in Canada! We just don't do the Grey Cup in Florida weather - I wish, love warm and sunny.

Great theme ideas, thank you KC. Now off to see if you have your Jambalaya posted! :D

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Found the perfect recipe for Classic Caesars to add to Sunday's Grey Cup Party! :D

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/pitche ... c-caesar-0

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:01 pm

Gerry wrote:We really aren't all that different here KC, admittedly we don't have all that many football teams but many the theme party happens here in Canada! We just don't do the Grey Cup in Florida weather - I wish, love warm and sunny.

Great theme ideas, thank you KC. Now off to see if you have your Jambalaya posted! :D
Not yet, just got back from Black Friday Shopping ... although I did my Target and Walmart before sunrise ... target at 1am. yes, call me crazy.

No, today I did post office, pak mail, grocery store, gas, home depot. Nothing exciting trust me.

I plan on posting it, Bergy made it I believe on f.com, but I haven't got it posted yet. But plan too.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:10 pm

The themes are a great excuse to try different foods and it can be a lot of fun. And it can be done for the day whether you are a fan of the team or not. Just a fun excuse to have a PARTY and try different foods.d But we also tame them down to our tastes and finger type of food, so it is easy for a party.

Like the walleye we grilled. We did fingers with a remoulade sauce. Wild rice was place, but the mushroom soup we served in plastic disposable cups from the party store. It is all about easy and fun.

Always remember ... you can make gourmet sit down food into party food. That is a lot of what we like ti do and have fun with. Like jambalaya we would serve in plastic bowls (for a large crowd) real for a smaller crowd, Add the cornbread to the bowl and top with the jambalaya, oyster shooters - that way less oysters and work and just fun. (fyi, plastic shot glasses are 10 cents at a party store). Skewers are easy and portable and cheap. Stuff like that is what we try.

If you need the jambalaya I can send it to you or you can check f.com. I'm not sure how much I will be on tonight. Crazy Friday!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Must be missing something in my search KC- did find there are one lot of Jambalaya recipes out there! It would be great to have something new when we get together on weekends. If you get to posting this week, guess what I'll be making next weekend for our dinner and a movie ...

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:25 pm

Countdown to Grey Cup and weekend football!

While a good many football fans from Saskatchewan are on their way to Vancouver, others are already there, all looking forward to the big game. Football fans here at home will gather around to watch the pre game and settle in for the 99th Grey Cup game right in their living rooms with family and friends. I suspect those further south will be cheering on their favourite teams as well.

For most part my planning is done. This morning had me think to the youngsters and the young at heart with a sweet tooth, that has me making another Canadian classic - Puffed Wheat Cake squares. Know some are thinking to the 'other' one, but they have to wait for Christmas for the Butter Tarts! I'm sure a double batch of these should get me a couple of hugs! http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/puffed-wheat-cake

Denise

Post by Denise » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:32 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:I don't actually have any favorites. Honestly. Being in FL, we are still outside grilling, so we tend to try to do a lot of that vs inside food.

If we have a football party, we try to make a theme based on what team is playing. For example. Tampa vs New Orleans; we do jambalaya, or catfish with red beans and rice and appetizers are based around that.

Buffalo vs Tampa. We do buffalo wings or buffalo sandwiches, beef on wick sandwiches, etc.

Phili ... Cheese steaks
Green Bay ... beer cheese soup, brats,
MN ... we did grilled walleye, a wild rice casserole, creamy mushrooms soup.

We don't do anything fancy like a sit down dinner, it is still very casserole and we still enjoy a few dips and munchies, but it is all based around the theme for the team.

I guess we do it a bit different that way.
We've been doing that for years, it's very fun! And a good way to try new recipes.