Vegetable and/or Low Carb dishes??

Moderator: Gerry

Cranberry

Vegetable and/or Low Carb dishes??

Post by Cranberry » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:03 pm

Well my potluck season is over for the year. Usually we have family gatherings in parks or at the lake during the summer. As far as healthy food go there is fruit with dip and some crudites. Seriously that's it :!:

So what are your guy's favourite vegetable and/or healthy and/or low carb dish that you bring?

Ninner

Re: Vegetable and/or Low Carb dishes??

Post by Ninner » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:13 pm

I love veg. dishes that are low carb. Often the family request meals that are heavy so I throw in a veg. dish for myself. On another site I have a recipes called "Vegetable Crumble". I have been unable to post this recipe here but it is coming.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:17 pm

A recent vegetable find we are enjoying is a vegetable side - and what a side it is!
It's one that has great eye appeal and tastes as good as it looks. Equally good for that special party or for a make and take. Great dish for vegetable lovers!
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/vegetable-bundles

For the serious carb watchers I make up extra bundles of the green beans. It's a wonderful make ahead and quickly warmed. It was the hit of last years Thanksgiving supper and also at our backyard gatherings. Have a number of salads that are great for potlucks - simply a matter of needing time to get them posted.

Not sure which if any of the Vegetable Crumbles I looked at was yours Ninner (haven't managed to 'find' you) Will be watching along with Cranberry for your posting. Know it's one that would go over well at our house.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:53 am

Gerry, I do not know what is the matter with me as I have not been able to post "one" recipe without being booted? It has to be me as "many" members have had no problem. So I am going to give you the recipe here. It is #80642 & I am sure you will know what site. As of all my recipes I have obtained this from a cookbook or a mag. It is posted as received but I use all fresh ingredients. It can be made days in advance & is always on the table at Thanksgiving & Christmas. My family requests so much starch at these events that I need this dish for me. Also I have a "green bean" recipe in that group which is another nice alternative. Again you have to play with it to reduce the calories. As they say "fresh" is best.

Ok I was able to grab it again. Sorry I know it looks tacky. Also there is cheese in it but a very nice veg dish for 6 servings as a side.

1 (1 lb) package baby beans and carrots vegetable mix, thawed
1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/4 inch thick strips (about 1 cup)
4 tablespoons butter
4 ounces gruyere or 4 ounces emmenthaler cheese or 4 ounces swiss cheese, cubed
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Heat broiler to high.

In large saucepot, bring 4 quarts, salted water to a boil.

Add bean blend and red peppers, reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes. Drain.

Transfer vegetables to 7 cup casserole dish.

Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, combine butter, cheese, bread crumbs, garlic powder and thyme, pulse 30 seconds or until crumbly.

Sprinkle bread crumb topping over vegetables and broil 5 minutes or until topping is brown and cheese is bubbly.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Ninner! Small wonder I often read your threads feeling I should 'know' you! I had checked for 'Vegetable Crumbles' none of which were anything like your veggie recipe #80642. As soon as I saw your recipe on this thread thought it's a duplicate or ... and yes about fell of my chair when I clicked on your recipe! It's the recipe I have made often enough over the years that all that is required before making it is glance at the little file card in my recipe drawer on which I have written 'your other name's Casserole. Still chuckling. And yes I did leave a review! :D

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:48 pm

LOL, Gerry when I went to get it very early this morning I had to mess with it as usual. In do so I saw you name & laughed but my then I had grabbed it & decided to post here.

Ninner is the name I wanted way back when (not available) & have used on private sites for many years. Many here recognize me more by Ninner then the other.

As I posted I have a green bean recipe there also which I think fits this thread.