CHRISTMAS 2023

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

CHRISTMAS 2023

Post by Gerry » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:18 pm

This year as was our Thanksgiving Christmas will be low key but gather we will looking to our treasured memories. May you have the gift of faith, the blessing of hope and the peace of His love at Christmas and in the New year. “Christmas is the feeling of home even if it’s only a memory that takes you there, it’s the quiet places of the heart, it’s the comfort of traditions of generations past”

I have yet to decide my holiday meals, with only 10 days to Christmas I am adding the link from 2022 as a start to holiday planing.

viewtopic.php?f=142&t=15276

I do have a small start, having dried my own bread cubes for the stuffing for quite some time, I have taken it a step further by seasoning them. I have one done and a loaf of #recipe127 ready to do. So easy so good and a great make ahead. I place my cubes in a regular food bag then rebag using my Cabela Vacuum sealer, freeze until needed. Saves one lot of prep time come preparing the turkey. I find vacuum sealers great to keep food as fresh as when you made them.
#recipe41962

Do stop by and share your favourite holiday recipes.

Gerry

Re: CHRISTMAS 2023

Post by Gerry » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:46 pm

Got to some make aheads, have enough cabbage rolls made for the holiday meals, recipe not posted but here on the prairies most families have their own recipe that they have used for generations. Have them bagged according to size and quantity and then to the food saver bags to the freezer ready to cook.

Made a double batch of Sweet and Sour Meatballs, "A family favourite and one of the first recipes I think to when planing for special occasions such as our Christmas Open House or New Years Day Buffet. Great addition to a buffet, a real crowd pleaser at potlucks, a wonderful meal anytime especially over the holidays" This recipe is very freezer friendly and goes over very well after days of turkey and ham!

#recipe1811

This evening will be checking recipes for make aheads for desserts and sweets as well as check out the appetizers allowing me to prepare my shop list.

Do come on in and share your special holiday recipes as I like adding new to us recipes to my menu.

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:22 pm

Once again running under the wire with my holiday prep and planing, city shop tomorrow will see to assuring well stocked fridges making for one busy day today to be done for the holidays. Work, distance and such sees to a change of plans, my first turkey and trimmings on for Saturday with Christmas Day at daughters. There will be another turkey and holiday meals to New Years Day.

This year choices for my cookie jar

#recipe41964 a recipe from my mom's handwritten cookbook, one also made by my grandmother sees this recipe well over a hundred years old. So quick and easy and one we love and one my mom's favourite cookies. Will try to get photos over the holidays.

Crispy Coconut Cookies, long time family favourite from a friend's recipe collection. One of our local church catering groups bakes these by the hundreds as part of their dessert offering. Gets raves every time! Has been part of my holiday stash for years as well as a year around favourite for the cookie jar. It's one of those simple delights great to serve for any occasion, a 'looks simple but you can't eat just one' kind of cookie.

#recipe1581

At our house a must make for holidays and special occasions. At holiday time I make them with maraschino cherry centres, roll in flaked coconut,serve in the pretty foil cupcake liners

#recipe168

For the holiday platter Butter Tarts, sweet, buttery, scrumptious flaky melt in your mouth treats that are a must make at our house at holiday time. Many families have their versions for this Canadian classic, this one is ours and the one I have been making for holidays and special occasions for many, many years.

#recipe2363

If you love cheesecake you will love Austrian Cheesecake Bars. Lush and creamy with the taste of cheesecake, topped with chocolate and toasted pecans makes for a great addition to the holiday or special occasion serving tray.

#recipe3264

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:58 pm

For the holiday desserts

No Bake Cherry Cheesecake, the must make. I have made and enjoyed many a cheesecake but come holidays and special occasions at our house this family favourite is a given. Being freezer friendly it also makes for a great make ahead. When it comes to recipe requests for the most part it comes as a surprise that it's a no bake.
#recipe30589

Another favourite at holiday time, Austrian Strawberry Torte. This elegant looking fruit torte is one of the recipes that a family member brought back after a stay in Germany. Thanks to her grandmother we enjoy this marvellous dessert that never fails to please. Depending on availability and if I manage to find nice looking strawberries, may go with canned sliced peaches.
#recipe2808

Cherry Cha Cha, an old fashioned dessert deemed just as popular today as it was back then. A delicious light and lovely dessert perfect for the holiday season and a year around favourite. No leftovers with this easy to made dessert made with whipped cream and cherry pie filler.
#recipe2553

#recipe7175, when serving for dessert I prefer baking in a spring form pan. Made two last time around with no leftovers. A recipe that needs a photo as it looks as good as it tastes. This has wowed at Sunday morning coffee hours, brunches and afternoon teas. Have to love friends who not only have great recipes but share them! It's a knock your socks off kind of recipe that is a family favourite at our house, and a make and take that is an absolute crowd pleaser.

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:19 pm

For my 2023 appetizers and charcuterie board

Baked Brie, have always loved Brie, many the irresistible Brie Bites With Hot Pepper Jelly on my appetizer platter over the years. Last Christmas daughter served Baked Brie for a real winner of an appetizer, since then it has become one of my favourite appetizers especially at holiday time.

#recipe41965
I bake mine in a ceramic dish in the micro wave which sees it done in two minutes. It can also be baked in the oven. Add your favourite sturdy crackers or crostini for scooping. Served on a platter or charcuterie board with grapes, pecans or walnuts makes for an appetizer that is both impressive and wows guests making for the perfect appetizer.

Brie Bites, these irresistible Brie Bites have been one of my favourite appetizers for a good many years. Impressive, incredibly good and an absolute hit with guests.
#recipe28785

Festive Cranberry Crab Cups, an awesome appetizer that wows. A long time favourite for the holiday season or any time family and friends gather. They are incredibly good, make for great presentation and always impress.
#recipe123

Knoor Pumpernickel Appetizer (Classic recipe) #recipe20938 have been making this one since back in the day, at our house a must make at holiday gatherings and special occasions. A great make and take, one that sees to an empty platter at potlucks. I'm sure there are many online versions but this one is for me - my original 'Family Cookbook' is seeing to fading of the ink, what better place to have a recipe at the tip of one's fingers for my family and me than here! We find it makes for an awesome dip for the vegetable platter as well. If you haven't tried this one give it a go, I'm sure you will love it as much as we do.

For my shrimp lovers Shrimp Scampi, our version of this old classic has served this shrimp loving family well over the years - an elegant entree for the buffet, a great starter and makes for a wonderful appetizer. A real winner at our house.
#recipe5951

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:48 am

Work schedules and travel time saw me with am impromtu early turkey Christmas dinner on Saturday thanks to preplanned stocked freezer and fridges. Great to have children home over the holidays. Son went home yesterday and today Christmas dinner is at daughters. Grans and friends will see to a good number of holiday meals here over the week and Open House on New Years Day.

Wishing the gifts of faith,the blessing of hope and peace of His love be yours this Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ehIN-ZZYA