THANKSGIVING 2023

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

THANKSGIVING 2023

Post by Gerry » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:27 pm

The 2022 Thanksgiving thread
viewtopic.php?f=142&t=15141

Our Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend, midweek the snow word had me in the garden seeing the produce picked, dug, washed and stored, my herbs in Cabela sealed bags added to my freezer stash. Getting the vegetables stored before snow or a hard frost sees me once again playing catch up.

Being short of time I have added the link to Thanksgiving 2022 for those who are looking for holiday recipes, please note the recipes are the Thanksgiving recipes I have made over the years and members who have shared their favourite recipes. Please do come on in and share your special holiday recipes or your holiday menu.

Our Thanksgiving this year will be low key. Getting such a late start I admit to being happy and thankful we have the Thanksgiving thread with Thanksgiving recipes to choose all just a click away. At the moment other than the turkey and stuffing my menu is still in the planning stage. A plus is I have a fridge filled with fresh vegetables.

The Brussel Sprouts this year are the best I have tasted. We love Brussel Sprouts be they buttered or roasted. I would like to try some new recipes, please share some of your special holiday Brussel Sprout recipes as well as your Thanksgiving favoutites.

QueenBea

Re: THANKSGIVING 2023

Post by QueenBea » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:31 am

Thx for sharing this post Gerry. It will be a very quiet weekend here this year. It is just me and my granddaughter this weekend, everyone else is gone deer hunting. I asked her what she wanted for Thanksgiving dinner and she replied Swiss Chalet, please. Sooooo, Swiss Chalet delivery it is :lol:

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you and everyone else here at Zazz :YMHUG:

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:12 pm

We have to go with whatever makes it a happy occasion Bea, I had no idea Swiss Chalet delivered! How good is that, granddaughter time and meal delivery! Have a great weekend!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:18 pm

2023 has not been kind to us but when counting our blessings we will give thanks to the many we do have. Thinking to "I don't have the power to make life fair but I do have the power to make life joyful” and do the best we can. Although low key our Thanksgiving gathering on Sunday will go on as we have always done.

Come Thanksgiving turkey and dressing a given, will be making seasoned bread cubes for the stuffing this morning, tonight prepare the dressing ready to warm and stuff the turkey the extra baked to assure enough for Monday’s turkey sandwiches.

#recipe2055

We love the local dressing recipe but this year will be making our old fashioned recipe that goes back for generations.
#recipe28696

Will be preparing my favourite savoury baste
#recipe28359

This morning the desserts, one of the family favourites Almost Apple Pie which I will bake in a tart pan. Will be offering scoops of French Vanilla ice cream for those who love that combination.

#recipe122

Been far too long since the last making of another family favourite Lemon Meringue Pie which has been added to the menu, (another needing posting) all the while hoping a pecan or pumpkin pie or both are available at our local grocer. Leftovers are shared!

For the appetizers the irresistible Brie Bites, not having Brie on hand I am going with the lovely Mexican Fiesta topped with daughters awesome homemade Red Pepper Jelly.

#recipe28785

For the vegetable platter one of our favourite dips
#recipe20911

Along with refreshments will be offering
#recipe3030

Must not forget to get the holiday Potpourri Simmer made for that holiday fragrance that filll ones home with the fresh aroma that entices and makes your home feel warm and inviting.
#recipe1960

Must get back to the doing and think to the rest of the holiday menu.

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:28 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone north of the border!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:17 am

Wishing all our Canadian friends a Happy ThanksGiving

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:13 pm

Hoping all our Canadian members had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:47 pm

While our Canadian Thanksgiving was back in October, today sees to our neighbors to the south celebrating, and celebrate they do. I was amazed to see “More people In the U.S. travel for Thanksgiving than any other holiday, and they get on the road or board planes well ahead of time. Airports expect to screen 30 million people during the holiday period, more than 55 million are expected to head out for at least 50 miles and more than 49 million will drive across country.”

I am sorry to see there will be significant storms will deal a blow to Thanksgiving travel with rain, snow and severe thunderstorms. Wishing everyone safe travel time.

Family tradition following our holiday meal as we do every year the wonderful turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches, along with with Turkey Soup and Ham Soup. The leftovers make for my freezer stash. This years holiday soup choices were …

Luvcooken’s #recipe22912

My #recipe31387 which works equally well with turkey

For the Ham Soup #recipe28351

Wishing all who are celebrating a very Happy Thanksgiving

Would be great to see members share their special holiday recipes!