July Long Weekend 2023

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

July Long Weekend 2023

Post by Gerry » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:48 am

Since our summers and our growing season is so short I once again decided to enjoy as much outdoor time as possible working on my ongoing garden rejuvenation. One lot of long outdoor hours but I hope to see the project completed to sit back and celebrate my September long weekend birthday. This year the July first holiday will be on a smaller scale than most years but it will be celebrated!

When Canada Day falls on a Saturday it is then observed on the following Monday. Independence Day in the U.S. July 4th, both holidays celebrated either hosting or attending a picnic or barbecue, today many will already see to the gathering of family and friends enjoying the many summer activities for a fun weekend. We get to celebrate the Fourth of July along with our southern neighbours usually with a barbecue for son’s 4th of July birthday.

Have the freezer filled with the makings for barbecuing, also thinking come Sunday a country drive to the top of the valley and the north farms to see how the crops are doing. Tradition sees to a packed picnic lunch while we enjoy country time.

Today must pick up fresh lemons, oranges and the sparkling wine for Derf’s wonderful Sangria. We often add orange slices if I can find smaller oranges. It's an awesome summer sipper.

#recipe1109

Will make the sauce for the Rink Burgers that have become one of the must makes for the July weekend.

#recipe1094

Undecided as to the potatoes, either the Potato and Vegetable Grill or the Grilled Hashbrowns or both.
#recipe5955

#recipe24707

Two must makes for the July weekend are Deluxe Cole Slaw and the Potato Salad which still needs to be posted.

#recipe2722

Bean or Corn salads which are make aheads that round out the table are still to be decided.

What are you making?

QueenBea

Re: July Long Weekend 2023

Post by QueenBea » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:47 pm

That's my kind of party food Gerry!!!

Ours will be a quiet celebration as all the events around us are cancelled due to the fires, so no fireworks or big parties. I will be have a small BBQ dinner with Hubby and my brother. Kids will be away camping.

NELady

Post by NELady » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:30 am

We're excited for our 4th of July celebration! The kids get SO excited because they're allowed to stay up way too late for fireworks. I'm still deciding on what I'm bringing... it's always hard because everyone always wants to bring a dessert or a bag of chips and I want REAL food! HAHA

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:10 am

I will be making gin and tonics.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:50 am

It's great to see members dropping in and sharing suggestions for the holiday weekend. Youngest gran stopped by yesterday and shared five kinds of freshly made sausage, enjoyed a lovely spicy Italian. My grans did not fall far from the tree! Have to love that here too whether hosting or the make and takes it's Real food. Admittedly I do have the favourite chips, nachos and dips on hand but here the fav is the veggie tray.

Not sure how our day will play out but I treated myself to #recipe5197 to start the day.

Happy Canada Day, enjoy the weekend!!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:08 pm

Wishing all my friends south of the border a very Happy Fourth of July! :)