Easter 2023

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

Re: Easter 2023

Post by Gerry » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:16 pm

When turkey and dressing the main course mashed potatoes and gravy are a given. Daughter makes awesome mashed potatoes so these days I pass the melted butter, warmed cream/milk and potato masher to her. I have noted on occasion she adds white pepper. In any case she gets it just right!

Over the holiday weekend I am likely to make Scalloped Potatoes another that I have yet to post, but gleaning had me find a Scalloped Potato recipe that is very similar to the one my grandma, my mom and I have made by layering, seasoning and adding milk and butter. Only change I have made is I find heating the milk seems to assure the sauce remains creamy. The Fanny Farmer recipe posted by CookTill Udrop’s recipe has me think my grandma had a Family Farmer Cookbook and in turn we all have made Scalloped Potatoes so often we basically wing it. One day I need to get it on paper to post the recipe for my family.

#recipe9732

Another potato dish that is company worthy and works well for the holiday table. An easy potato dish from a neighbouring Community Cookbook that is super easy to make, great tasting and sees to recipe requests. It can easily be doubled.

#recipe28694

I have managed to get my Potato Salad down on paper but have yet to post. I often make Sue’s recipe for Cauliflower Salad Made Like Potato Salad (low carb) a recipe I have used for the low carbers since 2013. Love this salad which is very like our potato recipe, an excellent alternative for the low carbers. Admittedly I was hesitant thinking to cauliflower and hard boiled eggs but it works! Even the non low carbers enjoyed this delicious substitute for potato salad. In fact they didn’t seem to even notice. Yes it’s that good.

#recipe8571

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:49 pm

Have gathered the vegetable side recipes that are holiday favourites at our house with the final choices yet to be decided. Glazed carrots was hubbies absolute favourite, these Sweet Glazed Carrots are a great addition to the holiday table or any time you want to add a special side dish to make for that added touch. This recipe is from my daughters collection and the one her young son choose for the cookbook created and published as a tribute to the 100th anniversary of our local school. We love these delicious and easy to make glazed carrots, a family favourite and a given at holiday time.

#recipe7847

I was so impressed with Glazed Carrots and Caramelized Onions served over baked butternut squash on a gran and grams weekend that I assured getting the recipe. Found it to be not only only a great topping for Butternut squash but also makes a wonderful vegetable side dish that has become a family favourite that makes for a great holiday side on it's own.

#recipe28333

I love Vegetable Bundles, great tasting and makes for awesome presentation. You can make these bundles using carrot sticks, green or yellow beans or asparagus spears. It can be a real holiday time saver. Preparing easy as these can be made ahead the night before or early in the day of your dinner. Reheat just before serving and serve with a drizzle of butter or your favourite sauce. My problem is living in small town Saskatchewan all too often I do not have the leeks. I have had several people tell me green onions can be used to tie the bundles. Will have to give that a try.

#recipe124

What are you Making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:50 pm

When our family gather on weekends or special occasions they expect one of the meals will see to a Caesar salad topped with our family favourite dressing. So for my family and anyone who loves salads as much as we do – daughter Cathy's Caesar Dressing. Be sure to use good quality croutons - better yet homemade!
#recipe7456

Homemade Garlic Croutons an awesome Derf recipe. The smashed garlic really makes these wonderfully flavourful. The perfect addition to our Caesar Salad. Always love when easy tastes super good! First making back in 2012 and it has been made again and again.

#recipe4489

When serving a green salad there is sure to be a bottle of our Classic French Dressing to top our salad. Love homemade dressings, have enjoyed many variations of this old classic but none quite like this old family recipe that went missing. The lost was finally found tucked in an old cookbook. While many of the dressings seemed similar none tasted quite like our missing recipe. Suspect it's the malt vinegar and the equal portions of vinegar and sugar we favour.

#recipe5201

Other than Hellmans, and the Ranch that family use for dipping I make all our own dressings. Seeing Luvcookn’s Basic Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe so like the recipe of grans that I love I knew I had to give the recipes a try. And I did. They are all winners, superior to any you find on the grocers shelves.

#recipe23616

I think to Greek Salad as a lovely spring and summer salad A recipe from one of our favourite places to eat when in the city - Nickys! This fabulous fresh and delicious Greek Village Salad is an authentic recipe shared by Nick and Marina Makris in a local cookbook. An awesome salad that allows the fresh taste of the ingredients to shine through. I do offer a Greek salad dressing when serving to guests, but find most enjoy the salad as we do with a light drizzle of oil just covering the vegetables. No leftovers with this one!

#recipe2233

Zesty Corn Salad is great make ahead, great to have on hand on holidays and weekends to round out the table. A colourful salad with the added bonus that it tastes as good as it looks. A crowd pleaser and sees to recipe requests. Be sure to refrigerate, preferably in a covered jar to keep it crisp and fresh. Only the salad itself goes into the serving bowl, the marinade remains in the jar. Served in a clear glass salad bowl adds to the presentation.

#recipe2201

Cauliflower and Lettuce Salad a great make ahead. There are many combinations for Cauliflower Salad, this particular version is the favourite in our area and the one family and friends love. A wonderful make ahead to round out a holiday table. For holiday time or for special occasions I serve this in a cut glass bowl. The addition of slivered almonds adds extra crunch. This salad needs at least eight hours mellowing time, best made the night before which is a real plus when cooking for a crowd.

#recipe2231

Still unsure as to how many to prepare for but likely need to think to preparing for three days of family time so more than enough salad choices.

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:59 pm

The past few years I have been making and drying my own bread cubes for the turkey stuffing, yesterday I decided to try seasoned. Dried the cubes in the oven on low in an oiled pan sprinkled with herbs, as I stirred I added a little more here and there. So happy with the results, pity I didn't measure and jot it all down. Next time. Doubled bagged and in the freezer all ready to thaw and make the dressing come Saturday morning.

Another make ahead to ease things for the weekend, flour whisked, measured into bags prepped and ready to pop into the bread maker for our holiday breads. For light and fluffy bread or rolls my go to is Feather Bread.

#recipe127

Monkey Bread Cinnamon Bun Ring (Bread Maker Bubble Bun) is a more recent addition come holiday time, I think to it as a tradition in the making. I have always made the day of serving, this time around I plan to make it tomorrow, cool and back into the pan freeze then do a thaw the day of serving. Works with cinnamon buns, definitely worth a try this year as I play catch up. A note to myself be sure to take a little extra time and do walnut size little balls as Feather Bread rises light and fluffy. So easy yet looks like you spent the day in the kitchen!

#recipe7246

If anyone has a savoury Monkey Bread recipe that has become holiday fare please do come on in and share your recipe.

What are you making?

RZ-Admin
Site Admin

Post by RZ-Admin » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:15 pm

Gerry, these are looking soo good! Going to cook immediately after this. :)

Have you ever tried this French Meat Dressing recipe for stuffing a turkey? (I know it has 'potato' in the name, but it has 2 lbs of ground pork in it too.) It's one of Bea's recipes, so you can bet it's pretty good.

@Bea do you happen to have any pictures of it you can add? (Or anyone else that's made it can add pictures and a review please.)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:36 pm

I have made many of Bea's recipes over the years, all winners at our house! While I have not made Bea's #recipe2587 the recipe I have from back when other than a little pork sausage meat making up for some of the ground pork the ingredients about the same. It's very good.

We love variety which has seen to many dressings over the years, your mention of the Meat and Potato Dressing reminded of a rice dressing I haven't made for one longtime #recipe20928 with a larger bird one can stuff with rice and follow with the tradition bread dressing or the rice dressing can be baked in a casserole and served as a side dish. Never any left overs with this old classic! So many recipes so little time!

Dave, what is your family's favourite dressing for the holiday bird?

RZ-Admin
Site Admin

Post by RZ-Admin » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:42 pm

That rice stuffing sounds tasty too. :) We also need a photo of that.
Nana is our turkey stuffer & dressing chef. I'll need to ask her what recipes she uses. It has croutons & cranberries in it. It's probably on a recipe card from her mom, so we'll have to get it added to Zazz if a version of it isn't already on here. I need to find out what day the big dinner is this year!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:53 pm

Looking forward to seeing your Nana's stuffing recipe Dave, always said there's nothing quite like a grandma recipe and you never can have too many stuffing recipes when it comes to holidays and special occasions.

Tomorrow will see to the making of the holiday Potpourri Simmer Pots. Love homemade Potpourri made with natural ingredients from the kitchen not only for holidays but all year around. The fragrance fills your home with the fresh aroma that entices and makes your home feel warm and inviting. I prefer using large crock pots having one on both levels. The lower level pot has the aromatic scent gently wafting up, greeting family and friends as they step in the door.

#recipe1960

I didn't manage to get to all that I had planned but tomorrow is another day.

What are you making?

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:07 pm

Hey hey Gerry,

I am not sure if you are signed up for the Zazz newsletter or not, but, your Easter Potluck forum posts are featured on there this week!! Woot woot.....

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:09 pm

RZ-Admin wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:42 pm
That rice stuffing sounds tasty too. :) We also need a photo of that.
Nana is our turkey stuffer & dressing chef. I'll need to ask her what recipes she uses. It has croutons & cranberries in it. It's probably on a recipe card from her mom, so we'll have to get it added to Zazz if a version of it isn't already on here. I need to find out what day the big dinner is this year!
Ooooooo, sounds delicious! Yes please get the recipe so we can all have a look..