CHRISTMAS 2022

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

CHRISTMAS 2022

Post by Gerry » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:50 am

My first Christmas here at the Potluck Forum in 2016 came about when I realized that our family holiday gatherings saw to the making of one or two new to us recipes and family members adding to the holiday meals made our gatherings extra special and fun, thought to the extra dishes as a mini pot luck which added to our celebrations.

2020 and 2021 saw our holiday and special occasion celebrations unlike any we have ever known, this year sees us back to enjoying. Sentimentality has me go back to that first Christmas introduction back in 2016 here at the Pot Luck Forum.

“At our house Christmas season for most part starts with the Carol Festival, the Light Tour, pre Christmas gatherings, followed with family and friends gathering over the holidays. I find choosing family favorites and adding a surprise recipe or two almost as much fun as the special meal in itself. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day along with the must haves, always a surprise recipe or two and pot luck dishes that family and friends add to the holiday meal make each and every Christmas meal one to remember.”

I am looking forward to family time so the planning begins to have both great meals and plenty of time with my family. Have always thought planning and a list in hand makes hosting a fun time!

Have planned on scaling our favorite recipe for buns to use the bread maker as I have done for several other bread recipes. Wrists not happy but will give half a recipe a go. At one time made them Christmas Eve morning, this year since they are super freezer friendly I will make them before the holiday.

#recipe126

Now back to the planning. What are you making?

Gerry

Re: CHRISTMAS 2022

Post by Gerry » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:29 am

Comes to holiday time I try to have plans in place for holiday meals. Weather, work and family sharing the holidays a major factor when we get together. Christmas Day the turkey and all the trimmings a given with 'open house' from pre Christmas to New years.

Any time we gather a given is #recipe127

First on the agenda are the freezer friendly desserts to assure a sweet ending to our holiday meals. The absolute must make at our house for special occasions is freezer friendly making it a great make ahead. When it comes to recipe requests for the most part it comes as a surprise that it's a no bake." I add the cherry pie filler just before serving.
#recipe30589

Holiday desserts already in the freezer are
#recipe2995

The pastry #recipe7166

Another in the freezer is the lush and light dessert for after a holiday meal. An added bonus, it tastes as good as it looks!"
#recipe3293

Need a shop for the slivered almonds to make another holiday favorite, a gorgeous dessert that looks amazing, tastes incredibly good and always impresses #recipe28790

If time allows I would like to make up a couple of torte bases, I suspect the strawberries may not be available or far too pricey but I do know drained sliced peaches work well. An elegant and impressive dessert that tastes as good as it looks. #recipe2808

Admittedly at holiday time the freezer stash sees several containers of ice cream, with special toppings in the fridge should I need a quick dessert or a holiday treat for the youngsters.

The holiday recipes I am posting are our family favorites, which sees most recipes will be from my Holiday Cookbook. Please come on in and add your special holiday recipes to our 2022 Christmas. :)

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:34 pm

Need a knock your socks off kind of dessert #recipe2366 from Canadian Living is the one for you. I must look for the little mini pans to make individual servings for smaller gatherings as I don't want to refreeze once the meringue has been under the broiler.

"This show stopper from Canadian Living perfect for those occasions when a knock your socks off spectacular dessert is called for. Makes for an awesome dessert, perfect for that holiday meal and special celebrations. I was absolutely intimidated the first time making. Don't be - for most part it is one of those marvelous make aheads requiring only a quick assembly, the meringue to be made and a few minutes under the broiler. Served with that wonderful fudge sauce which just takes minutes to reheat." This one really needs a photo!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:16 am

Running late this year will see to only a couple of sweet bars and slices for the holiday tray which are also great for a sweet dessert tray or have on hand for coffee time. For the cookie jar a few must makes for the holidays will depend on what ingredients are on the grocery shelves on my city shop today. I need to fill the lovely gifted Santa cookie jar with the must makes. Surprisingly the very simple 'you can't eat just one' kind of cookies are the first to need refilling on the cookie tray. Admittedly I prefer making bars and slices but come holiday time I do assure baking the favorites.

My mom's #recipe3278
This is a must for special occasions at or house. Had them made but no surprise I have to make more!

#recipe2370
It's just not Christmas without Butter cookies, my favorite recipe a long ago find in Harrowsmith Anna Olson's recipe so easy so good. My handwritten copy is well worn from years of use. Anna's recipe and instructions make spritz cookies very simple to reproduce at home for those of us not able to pick them up at her Ontario bakeries. I may have to move! Time wise this year will do the thumbprint with a maraschino in the center. Will try to do a photo as they look as good as they taste.

#recipe168
Another family favorite, at our house a must make for holidays and special occasions. At holiday time I make them with maraschino cherry centers, roll in flaked coconut, serve in the pretty foil cupcake liners.

#recipe2699
If I find the ingredients today (I am finding much is missing on the grocery shelves these days, my shop time is limited so only get to a few grocery stores) I will add this delightful easy to make roll. I have been making Chocolate Roll Dainty for many years, imagine my surprise to find the original handwritten recipe of what I always called 'No Bake Cookies 'when going through old cookbooks and find the delightful chocolatey little roll is in actuality 'Fudgy Chocolate Cherry Roll' By either name a great addition to any serving tray and a given at our house at holiday time. We love the colorful slices that not only add that festive look but taste as good as they look.

Will be back this evening with some appetizer recipes. Hopefully members will join in and add a few of their special holiday recipes to make our 2022 one of the best!

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:04 am

How did I forget this one while not sure if I will manage to get to tarts this year I will have to try to make a small batch to not disappoint come Christmas Eve. Butter Tarts, sweet, buttery, scrumptious flaky melt in your mouth treats that are a must make at our house at holiday time. Many families have their versions for this Canadian classic, this one is ours and the one I have been making for holidays and special occasions for many, many years. The recipe was passed to me as 'Best Ever Butter Tarts' I have agree - they are the best I've ever made! Another of our 'Christmas traditions in the making' and is being passed down to my family.

#recipe2363

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:31 am

Gleaning had me think to Butter Tart Squares which is super quick and easy to make if time runs out. One year I took a shortcut and make my Butternut Tarts with bought tart shells with everyone missing the flaky homemade pasty but the squares are a great substitute. These Butter Tart Squares are from an old family cookbook and a favouite at our house. Great for the holiday and special occasion tray. These days I use organic Madagascar vanilla which takes it to a new level!

#recipe7866

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:59 pm

#recipe11391
Not managing to find all the ingredients in time for Luvcooken's recipe for #recipe11391 I am adding it here as a reminder to do an earlier shop next year. This is one awesome recipe for the holidays! Great with gift opening, late brunches or special ending to the Christmas meal.

I haven't yet decided which appetizers I will make this year as I will be doing a local shop, these days it's a matter of availability. Some of our favorites are

#recipe20938

I have been making this one since back in the day, at our house a must make at holiday gatherings and special occasions. I am back to making most of my breads, awhile back I scaled down my favorite pumpernickel for the breadmaker which allows me to make two smaller round loaves for the smaller gatherings. Not yet posted. Also makes an awesome dip for the vegetable platter.

#recipe28785

These irresistible Brie Bites have been one of my favorite appetizers for a good many years. Impressive, incredibly good and an absolute hit with guests."

#recipe123

An awesome appetizer that wows. A long time favorite for the holiday season or any time family and friends gather. They are incredibly good, make for great presentation and always impress.

#recipe20911

Years back begged the recipe, it's been one of my favorite dips ever since. Always compliments and sees to recipe requests and one of the first to empty which has me often doubling the recipe. Great with assorted crackers, also makes for a great vegetable dip. It is equally good using a can of shrimp.

#recipe2216

These awesomely delicious appetizers were a hit at our church Sunday potluck Brunch, was surprised to find the recipe from one of our local cookbooks and one that I been thinking to try. This easy to make delectable appetizer tempts the taste buds and wows the crowd. Great for at home gatherings, social get togethers and potlucks"

#recipe28705

The original copy in my recipe box is looking very faded, this dip continues to be a favorite come holidays, special occasions and gatherings. I have used thawed frozen cooked shrimp as well as canned crab with equally good results. Serve with an assortment of your favorite crackers.

#recipe24708

Years back a family member served this at a family gathering, I begged the recipe! I am surprised no one has given this one a try! Amazing how the simple ingredients in this recipe make for one awesome appetizer, love when easy tastes this good. It wows and sees to recipe requests each time I serve it. A big hit with quests who are often surprised to find it is not from a specialty shop! No left overs with this one.

#recipe5951

Our version of this old classic has served this shrimp loving family well over the years - an elegant entree for the buffet, a great starter and makes for a wonderful appetizer. A real winner at our house!

#recipe2150

One of my favorite appetizers,a Saskatchewan Roughrider golden oldie that never fails to please. Surprisingly this ketchup based sauce empties long before the other offerings and always an empty platter. So simple ... so good! Recipe courtesy of Tom Whitehouse.

#recipe1811

A family favorite and one of the first recipes I think to when planing for special occasions such as our Christmas Open House or New Years Day Buffet.

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:04 pm

Running late sees me gleaning for Christmas recipes to have them just a click away. Temperatures here in Saskatchewan this morning minus 33 with forecast predicting dropping to dangerously low temps into the holidays. I need to get on preparing my list for local door step delivery this week as no city shops before Christmas. Guessing there will be some last minute decisions in store!

CHRISTMAS EVE

Christmas Eve meal at our house is one we look to each year, Clam Chowder is a given with Mulligatawny or our family Potato Soup served with a loaf of freshly baked #recipe127 and a charcuterie board which changes from year to year.

#recipe1154
My first bowl of Clam chowder in a quaint little restaurant in San Francisco had me knowing I loved Clam chowder! Have enjoyed a good many great Clam Chowders since but this is the one that has become our favorite and a given for our evening meal on Christmas Eve.

#recipe1022
I have yet to find a Mulligatawny soup I didn't love! This has become our favorite version of the old classic, so much so that it is now served along side our Chunky Vegetable Clam Chowder for our evening meal on Christmas Eve.

Our family recipe for Potato Soup has yet to be posted but very similar to Clam Chowder without the clams. Adding two Potato Soup recipes that we love, both equally good.

#recipe31458
The beautiful table setting with a tureen of this creamy delicious potato soup along with a great selection of meat, cheese and vegetable tray made for an awesome lunch on that long ago day. We loved that soup so unlike any potato soup I had ever tasted and of course I begged the recipe. In loving memory of that beautiful awesome Chef Extraordinaire who shared both a fabulous lunch and the recipe.

ForeverMama's #recipe25698
A wonderfully delicious potato soup I have made awhile back with a number of repeats and has been made for Christmas Eve and served along side our Clam Chowder. I have since found the chervil and am growing French tarragon but great with the herbs either or!

I need to do more gleaning for ideas for this years charcuterie board, I suspect availability will come into play when it comes to this years choices. Will be back later for Charcuterie board selections.

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:18 pm

CHRISTMAS EVE CHARCUTERIE BOARD AND PLATTERS

I have ordered charcuterie and platters often preferring them to a meal. All were very attractive and I enjoyed every bite. Charcuterie Boards and platters are very easy to do at home. I have a lovely board I use for special occasions but when there are more of us platters work as well. Basically you want to choose special ingredients that you know you and your guests like. I do mixed which sees to sliced meats, prosciutto, ham and such, hard meat rolls such as salami cubed, assorted cheese, pickles, adding little dishes of condiments and spreads, mini bread slices and crackers. I find adding grapes looks very appealing.

The Christmas Eve table at our house one of the must makes is pickled eggs. Our family recipe is the one we turn to a holiday time.
#recipe2543
I have enjoyed many the pickled egg but this is the one that best be in my fridge come holiday time! This is a very old recipe and one that is the favorite at our house.

I still need to decide just what I will be adding to my board. Again this year availability and weather will need to be thought to.

These days I do the eggs in my pressure cooker, Had my Cosori pressure cooker for some time, word was making hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker/insta pots made for perfect eggs each and every time. I was hesitant and admittedly a bit skeptical until a family member made the eggs for me. An absolute winner, quick, easy cooking, super easy peeling and yes perfect eggs each and every time.

Our Christmas Eve dessert is usually a Christmas tray with home baked sweets that must have Butter Tarts on it!
#recipe7866

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:34 pm

Already have a turkey in the freezer for the main event, haven't decided which dressing recipe I will use. This is one that I often go to for holiday meals #recipe2055

This recipe is the one used by a local church catering group well known for their awesome dressing. People come from miles around for the turkey suppers and banquets prepared and served by this group of volunteers. They have shared the recipe in 'A Taste Of Heaven" a cookbook compiled with local recipes, which helped fund a Stairlift for those no longer able to manage stairs.

This year thinking I may go with #recipe28696

At our house we roast many the turkey over the year, this is an old-fashioned family recipe we love and one we often make to add variety to our turkey dinners. I usually double the recipe.

I recently tried #recipe13981 by NewieCookTaylor and was impressed how good it was, far superior to any on the grocer's shelf. I have already dried the cubes to jar for times I may need extra dressing. Since it is made in a pan for the holidays I will saute bits of finely diced onion and celery when making.

When making the turkey I prepare #recipe28359
This easy to make savory baste for turkey and chicken is one I often use for special occasions. A great find from a small cookbook of savory recipes, makes for a wonderful aroma that tantalizes, the turkey absolutely delicious. Perfect for the holiday table, or anytime you have family and friends gather.

A great recipe for those needing a smaller holiday turkey recipe #recipe2423

Several friends are wanting to do a duck, I passed this recipe along to them.
#recipe28789
Roast duck is a classic meal and one grandson and I prepare and enjoy over the Christmas holidays. We love the amazingly rich flavor and amazed at how easy it is to cook. A medley of roasted vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, celery and onions and a lovely side dish of wild rice mix make for the perfect accompaniments. Red wine pairs well with roast duck.

Come holiday time or gatherings baked ham is a must make at our house. This is one of my favorite recipes. Makes for one awesome tasting ham. When I made my last ham I noticed how nice the drippings looked, drained it into a sauce pan, made a slurry of cornstarch adding just enough to thicken a bit made for a lovey sauce . We loved it. It made for a why did I not think of that sooner moment!

Perogies

#recipe28722
Across Saskatchewan one lot of perogies are served at holiday meals. I have not yet got to posting the fillings but this recipe from the Ukrainian Recipes as Pyrohy(Perogy) Dough from a 1974 Regina Church Cookbook saw to my first success in the making of perogies. So much so that I invested in extra perogie makers and we often have a family fun day preparing and freezing them for our holiday gatherings.

#recipe28788

In our area perogies are a given over the holidays, homemade ones are for the most part make aheads and frozen. Getting the perogies to the table takes one lot of kitchen time when cooking for a crowd. The first making had me unsure but the end result impressed! It's super easy using a crock pot. For bought perogies buy a good brand, assure each is buttered, this recipe is so good everyone will be surprised to find you didn’t make them yourself or spend the day in the kitchen.

Mashed potatoes and gravy are always on for Christmas. I have not got mine down to paper and posted but LindasBusyKitchen's recipe is similar making for fluffy mashed potatoes.

#recipe7722

There are several potato recipes I like to use over the holidays for company meals.

I have yet to post our family recipe for Scalloped Potatoes made by both my mom and grandma not just not for holidays but Sunday dinners or to round out a meal. It only has the potatoes and onions, salt and pepper, with butter flour and whole milk. Simple made and so good. Derf's recipe for Scalloped Potatoes is another we really enjoy. We always skip the cheese when making scalloped potato recipes. #recipe552

Another we like is #recipe28694
An easy potato dish from a neighboring community cookbook that is super easy to make, great tasting and sees to recipe requests.

Would love to see members join in and share their holiday recipes.

What are you making?