Thanksgiving 2022

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

Re: Thanksgiving 2022

Post by Gerry » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:27 am

Thanksgiving for most part has us think to turkey, dressing, gravy and mashed potatoes. I have yet to get our old fashioned mashed potato recipe down on paper. These days I steam them in my Cosori pressure pot assuring potatoes are cooked to perfection just before dinner is served. We mash them with warmed butter and cream usually with a bit of white pepper. Two Recipezazz recipes I have made and enjoyed are

#recipe7722 by Linda's Busy Kitchen

And a great make ahead my Mikekey

#recipe21036

As for the turkey dressing I am undecided but suspect this year having lovely fresh from the garden herbs I will be making my #recipe28696. I like to make extra dressing place on foil and roll like a large sausage and refrigerate. Sliced served either warm or cold sees to recipe requests!

Preparing my shop list I thought to beverages, plenty of coffee and teas on my shelves but must assure ingredients for the weekend. A variety of colas and favorite sodas, white and red wine is nice to have on hand as well a holiday special mixes all served in your best glassware and cocktail glasses. For the youngsters I make a festive fruit punch which I must post. it's one adults love as well.

A Canadian Ceaser #recipe3067

If expecting a large crowd #recipe3030 can be made ahead.

I have also pulled up my recipe for my potpourri to make a fresh pot for the holidays

#recipe1960

Looking like another nice day so best be heading out to get do more fall gardening. Amazingly still not have had frost in my Saskatchewan garden which still sees me picking tomatoes and vegetables.

I have always made a practice to add a new to me recipe or two to my holiday meals so please do come in an share your favorites!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:48 pm

Great to see more holiday choices added. Thank you for sharing your holiday favorites Bea. All look delectable! Been years since I did a from scratch ham, these days happy son has built some awesome smokers and shares. Can you imagine if we had a Zazz Block Party!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:55 pm

Looking to see more of you sharing your favorites and your special holiday recipes!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:02 pm

Gerry wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:55 pm
Great to see more holiday choices added. Thank you for sharing your holiday favorites Bea. All look delectable! Been years since I did a from scratch ham, these days happy son has built some awesome smokers and shares. Can you imagine if we had a Zazz Block Party!
Oh the fun we would have :D

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:22 am

Thinking to those who are looking to smaller gatherings a recipe from a good friend is both one that tastes as good as it looks.

#recipe2423

Having herbs growing under lights and the garden herbs have survived the garden's first frost of the season yesterday I will be going with my #recipe28696

Two favorites that are great make aheads to have on hand on holiday weekends to add to the holiday table are #recipe2201

With lush and lovey garden tomatoes this is on for Thanksgiving at my house

#recipe20903

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:48 am

Looking to members sharing their Thanksgiving recipes!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:43 pm

Thanksgiving memories, missing the house filled to house overflowing at holiday time which for most part 2020 has for many seen to smaller family gatherings. For many years come holiday time it was "grandma grandma did you make your buns" which saw to this turn of a century recipe called Holiday Buns - #recipe126

#recipe126 I have been planing on scaling this down to make in the breadmaker. Maybe by Christmas?

When wrists saw to needing a breadmaker I found this recipe which is so like the old fashioned breads and buns - #recipe127 a given at holiday time, actually every time we get together!

#recipe127

Searching for a glaze for your bread and buns?
#recipe7247

What are you making? Looking for members to share their recipes, lets make Recipezazz THE place to come at holiday time!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:03 pm

Planing ahead to the Sweet Endings for the Thanksgiving meal sees pumpkin pie one of the most popular at Thanksgiving. The favorite here is a vintage recipe our family has used for generations.

#recipe30514

Madam Benoit's pastry is a no fail recipe that makes for a flaky pie crust each and every time. You may half the recipe as well as freeze the extra dough, it is very freezer friendly. Be sure you use fresh ingredients and follow the recipe as posted when making your pastry. If you are unfamiliar with pastry dough head over to you tube and watch a few videos and give it a go.

#recipe7166

For that special touch #recipe2235 (being inexperienced taking photos know shadowing and lighting do make a difference as the pie itself was a lovely golden brown) Glazes add to the presentation of your holiday dessert.

#recipe2235

When having a number of family home I also make an Apple Pie using my #recipe2995

Already in the freezer for the Cheesecake lovers the absolute given for holiday dessert at our house
Using pure vanilla makes for an awesome flavor for this cheesecake.

#recipe30589

For years I would have a dessert table set up, hopefully we will once again see to the gatherings of the past years. These days usually two dessert choices are more than enough!

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:19 pm

For the many making turkey this Thanksgiving an easy to follow recipe #recipe11294 in loving memory of Bergy. Be you a beginner or a pro this recipe sees to a turkey you will be proud to serve. I agree this is an easy step by step straight forward recipe for roasting turkey that is moist, tender and flavorful.

#recipe11294

Missed this Canadian Living holiday cocktail that wows when I added holiday refreshments. For the holiday table a lovely cocktail #recipe11420 made with sparkling wine or soda (seven up) or the champagne see the pomegranate seeds dance making for great presentation. Found cranberry juice a good substitution when promegrante unavailable. Need a city shop for this one, not likely to find promegrante seeds in small town Saskatchewan, will plan ahead for Christmas or New Years.

Holiday plans have changed, daughter asked to do the family Thanksgiving this year so sent along the ham but going to surprise her with a small turkey with lots of dressing/stuffing and gravy. How would we enjoy turkey sandwiches with stuffing and cranberry sauce the day after, the hot turkey sandwiches and freezer stash!

Wishing all who are celebrating a very Happy Thanksgiving and happy memories in the making.

What's on your Thanksgiving menu?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:00 pm

At my house the holiday weekend is drawing to a close, once again made for wonderful family time. While a much smaller gathering this year happy to say those unable to be here called and messaged making for happy. From my family and friends posting ...
OUR 2022 THANKSGIVING
"Have to love the pre 2020 holidays when most years family would usually begin to arrive Friday after work making for our traditional Sunday Thanksgiving meal which allowed for travel time home. This year hosted by dd, an awesome meal with ham the main course and our favorite holiday sides. To keep the tradition going at my house I needed the familiar aroma associated with the holiday. Roasted a plump chicken with plenty of stuffing and of course gravy to add to the dinner. Plenty of leftovers for all to share! Wishing all my family and friends a very Happy Thanksgiving" To the memories.
PRE 2020 THANKSGIVING MEMORIES October 10, 2019
"Yesterday a morning flight from Toronto saw to an early start to our family Thanksgiving and awesome family time. Have turkey, duck and ham in the freezer for the weekend mains, 2 Cherry Cheesecakes, Cheesecake brownies and just made and put two pastry crusts in the freezer ready for the pumpkin pie filler, the fridges filled with all the holiday makings. A heads up and reminder for our traditional family weekend with the turkey and trimmings on Sunday for those able to be here. Have to hope that blizzard coming up from the south misses us!"

Hope all my Canadian family and friends are enjoying our 2022 Thanksgiving as much as I am, looking forward to the American holiday in November as I still have a turkey that needs making! Remains I need more time to do photos, hopefully this winter, would love to see photos of your holiday meal as well as adding your favorite recipes.