You think your last dinner out was expensive ... think again

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Kchurchill5

You think your last dinner out was expensive ... think again

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Dissie

Re: You think your last dinner out was expensive ... think a

Post by Dissie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:24 pm

And anyone who would order that needs serious psychiatry. Why? Or Who? Geez

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:42 pm

NO KIDDING! That $5,000 could buy them some good psycho therapy ... WOW, and a $1,000 pizza I could buy my own trufffles and make that, but WHY.

And I get up set when I have to pay 7.99 vs 4.99 for salmon ... I think we live in different worlds =)) :-? =))

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Definitely! I get upset over the price of roasts, chicken and ground beef. Much less paying money for something like that! Even if I didn't have to worry about money...NOPE. It's just silly. Maybe you have to be watching money to appreciate having money to being able to afford that stupidness. I know not a word, but its how I feel about it. I read today that one in six people are hungry in the US. Makes me sick that that burger even exists. Before you pay for something so extravagant, how about helping out a foodbank or charity? Might fill you up more than a burger ever could.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:08 pm

How many people could that one burger feed? Well said Dis. It is just ridiculous. I'm not poor, certainly not rich; but, I try to help out when I can. My friends and I cook 4x per year for a shelter. Soup, salad, dessert, bread, etc; I help out at a retirement home and make special dinner to those who don't have families; I buy tickets to local kids sports leagues to help kids play sports who can't afford the costs ... It isn't much; and in the grand scheme of things ... very little. Maybe 250-300 a year plus my time. NOT much. Maybe a bit more; but, that really isn't much over a whole year. About 25.00 a month ... I don't get my nails done, my hair is not dyed- so just hair cuts; and, I eat at home most nights; even my friends and I like to stay at home, watch movies, go to the beach, play cards, cook out and grill etc ... we enjoy the simple things. I would like to think that I can easily afford 25.00 a month to help someone who is less fortunate.

Sue

Post by Sue » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Bill and I were looking at that together and when we got to the thousand dollar frittata we both thought the same thing. Doesn't this picture bug you?

ew.

Image"bon appetit!"

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Kim, I know you give back to the community and I think its wonderful. I feel guilty when I hear things like that, because I have never been truly hungry and didn't have anything to eat. Thank god for that. I try to give back, its small thing. Like when the grocery stores do the can drive. I always contribute cans of veggies, fruits, beans, tuna, chicken, soups, etc....Things people can actually cook with. I wish I could add meat besides canned meat but not possible when you are throwing into a big bin for the nearest foodbank. I even have added things they normally wouldn't buy, like applesauce, a sweet healthy treat for the kiddos.
Sue, :lol: It all "bugs" me. Just ridiculous.

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:35 am

You know I LOVE burgers but those are so ridiculous. So are all the other fad
dishes. For anyone to try any of these dishes they are egotists that are just showing off - "Look at me and how wonderful I am to be able to buy this." Who is at fault the creator of the obscene dishes or the nut that will pay for them?
I totally agree that the many meals that could be provided vs the waste here
is really sad!

The Japanese beef is a genuine very expensive special beef. The cows are massaged daily, probably hourly, to get the fat throughout the flesh so the meat literlly melts in your mouth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:01 pm

I must admit that the dishes, at least cost-wise, are "excessive". However, I also have to admit that in all likelihood were I able to afford some kind of luxury, this would probably be it. OK, OK, I hear the boos and hisses! But, come on...all of us have some kind of "excessive" pusuits, all to varying degrees, of course. Probably not quite this gandiose in most cases. I might not go to quite the extreme of these particular dishes, but if I won the lottery tonight, I can assure you I'd do some "high off the hog" eatin'....at least for a day or two. I think most of us here are foodies or chow-hounds, so lets see a show of hands of who "would not" at least contemplate dining out on some of our fantasy foods. :oops:

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Deepster wrote:I must admit that the dishes, at least cost-wise, are "excessive". However, I also have to admit that in all likelihood were I able to afford some kind of luxury, this would probably be it. OK, OK, I hear the boos and hisses! But, come on...all of us have some kind of "excessive" pusuits, all to varying degrees, of course. Probably not quite this gandiose in most cases. I might not go to quite the extreme of these particular dishes, but if I won the lottery tonight, I can assure you I'd do some "high off the hog" eatin'....at least for a day or two. I think most of us here are foodies or chow-hounds, so lets see a show of hands of who "would not" at least contemplate dining out on some of our fantasy foods. :oops:
Win the lottery - Meet me onthe Orient Express and live it upfood wise Mmmm :D :D :D :D :)) :)) :)) :)) :))