What Are You Reading 2024

Gerry

What Are You Reading 2024

Post by Gerry » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:41 pm

Once again choosing my best reads of the past year proved not to be easy as once again so many good books to choose from.

Fiction
Tied for first place two novels by Colleen Hover “It Ends With Us” and “It Starts With Us” I was not all that surprised to see them one and three on New York Times best seller list with Prince Harry’s “Spare” holding down second place.

Non Fiction
The Arctic Homestead: The True Story of One Family’s Survival and Courage in the Alaskan Wilds” by Nora Cobb.

Regina our capital city’s 2023 library release saw Prince Harry’s “Spare " the most borrowed book while Colleen Hoover’s “It Ends With Us” and it’s sequel “It Starts With Us” the top fiction spots. As a note of interest a screen adaptation of “It Ends With Us” set to be released in 2024.

The new to me author this year goes to Nicholas Sparks His Three Weeks With My Brother" is an unforgettable memoir that so touches the heart.. New York Times called it a travel of the heart.

Enjoyed a number of his novels and I agree with the author, his books are not romance novels they incorporate in the authors words “a bit of everything—empathy, hopefulness, happiness, love, anger and sadness" His books as in life you never can guess just what to expect as you turn the pages making for great reads. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2024

Post by Gerry » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:22 pm

I enjoyed Colleen Hover’s “It Ends With Us” and her sequel “It Starts With Us" the two held down one and three on the New York Times Bestseller list and were my two top choices for 2023.

A quick glean had me see a good number of five star reviews which saw me add Hover's "Verity" to my e library Holds. However this one fell far short of what I was expecting. I have since noted a review that stated "Verity spans three hundred and fourteen pages with only one hundred pages contributing to the plot, the remainder is mostly cringe worthy sex scenes” The plot and the hundred pages kept me reading, skipping over the pointless pages that lent nothing to the story. Pity the plot could likely have made for another best seller, seeing all the 5 star reviews it still may do so. Possibly just not the book for me.

Monster”- “In this gripping new edition of a true crime masterpiece, acclaimed author Steve Jackson recounts the intriguing pursuit and long awaited conviction of a charismatic, monstrous psychopath serial killer -- one who remains a suspect in three other crimes, and has never given up hope of escape” “One of the best books short of the famous Ann Rule works” ... True Crime Book Review. Charismatic yes but truly a monster.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:18 pm

Temperatures here in the deep freeze, dipping to windchill's of minus 50 and 52 decided later afternoons and evenings a good time to enjoy winter reads.

Found my last read Kristin Hannah’s “Winter Garden” a book that gets off to a slow start which was mentioned by a good number of reviewers, I have to agree. It does pick up and keep you reading, the last half of the book made for a page turner.

Should have a book or two come off holds shortly, meanwhile will head over to my personal e library and choose a book to read later this afternoon.

What are you reading?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:30 pm

"Tanzi's Ice" by C.I. Dennis

A murder mystery with settings in Burlingtin, VT. and Vero Beach,FL.
Lots of action and humor will leave you twisting and turning following the plot.
This was a free selection in Kindle.
The wife is enjoying it also.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:19 pm

Good to see you Shadow's, I do not have Amazon Kindle which has me waiting for "Tanzi Ice" to appear on Prime Reading, Book Bub or my e library.

William Landay’s “All That Is Mine I Carry With Me” came off holds today, there are mixed reviews on this one, one of the reviews had me decide to add it to my holds ... “An extraordinarily detailed novel, meticulously researched, the characters are exceptionally well described, and the mystery is documented like the accounting of a true crime. I found myself swept through the book from the very first page to the last, completely absorbed. Not only is the author an incredibly gifted writer but he's also worked as a DA, and his knowledge, experience, and qualifications are a real asset to the novel”

William Landay is a new to me author, if I find this as good as the review I will be adding holds on two more “Defending Jacob” “which won the Strand Critics Award for best novel; and “The Strangler”which is “listed as a best crime novel of the year by the Los Angeles Times, The Daily Telegraph.A former assistant district attorney, he lives in Boston.”

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:55 pm

Gleaning authors has me note I need to make a correction in regards to my Colleen Hoover’s “Verity” review. Much to my surprise it did make the Bestseller list in 2022. As well a January 6, 2023 clip saw to more than two million copies sold.

While a Bestseller, for me it fell far short of my expectations. While I would be hard pressed to be found counting pages remains I agree with the reviewer that said it better than I ever could “Verity spans three hundred and fourteen pages with only one hundred pages contributing to the plot, the remainder is mostly cringe worthy sex scenes” As I preciously said the plot and the hundred pages kept me reading, skipping over the pointless pages that lent nothing to the story. Obviously it was not the book for me.

Having enjoyed two of Hovers books I have added Colleen’s “Finding Perfect” to my library holds.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:39 pm

One By One: An unputdownable psychological thriller” by Freida McFadden. When it arrived I looked at the title and it was “did I read this one?” Soon realized it was because I had read Ruth Ware’s book also titled “One By One” Found it got off to a slow start, kept me guessing and must admit it has an unexpected ending I was totally unprepared for.

At the moment I am reading William Landay’s “All That Is Mine I Carry With Me
Mary Kubica’s New York bestseller “Just The Nicest Couple” came off holds.

A friend's recommend had me over to Amazon for “The Garden Club: and the Kumquat Campaign” by Des Kennedy which should be here beginning of February. Said to be a beautifully written and humours book.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:19 pm

I have holds on Mary Kabics “The Other Mrs” Colleen Hoover’s “Finding Perfect”and “Defending Jacob” by William Landry.

Also have a hold on Des Kennedy’s “The Way OF A Gardener:A Life’s Journey” then over to Amazon for Des Kennedy’s “The Passionate Gardener: Adventures of an Ardent Green Thumb” “Beautiful Communions” and “Crazy About Gardening: Humorous Reflections On The Sweet Seductions Of A Garden”

Looking forward to the awesome humour of Kennedy’s gardening adventures in his Denman Island garden. There is no doubt I will enjoy it as much as that which I read back when along with the articles in HarrowSmith and Garden’s West!

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:35 pm

Completed William Landay’s “All That Is Mine I Carry With Me” I am not a big fan of “chapters being told from different points of views by the various characters” I much prefer a book that flows. Found this another that gets off to a slow start, as well unsure of how I felt about the 'Jane chapters’ That said it is basically a read that keeps you guessing right to the end.

Mary Kubica’s New York bestseller “Just The Nicest Couple” was my last read. Andrea Bartz, New York Times bestselling author's review “Just the Nicest Couple is a dark and twisted exploration of loyalty, family, and how far we’ll go to protect the ones we love." One lot of twists, perhaps too many but keeps one turning the page to an unexpected ending.

Looking forward to the Des Kennedy books on hand, “The Passionate Gardener: Adventures of an Ardent Green Thumb”

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:46 pm

Have a start on the Des Kennedy books, enjoyed “The Passionate Gardener: Adventures of an Ardent Green Thumb

All Your Perfects” by Colleen Hoover the #1 New York Times bestselling author of It Starts with Us and It Ends with US. “Hoover captures the amazing side of a happy marriage, while at the same time connecting with the struggles of having one’s expectation of 'the perfect life' not being met.” I found it to be a bit of a slow starter and not quite the page turner of her other novels I’ve read, it did have twists and turns and an totally unexpected ending.

Have a hold on Kristen Hannah’s “The Women” Said to be a great novel inspired by firsthand accounts of the women who served in Vietnam.” Looking forward to this one, it has as a long wait list, if too long I may end up heading over to Amazon.

What are you reading?