How Do You Celebrate Valentine's Day?

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

LindasBusyKitchen

How Do You Celebrate Valentine's Day?

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Since I don't have a significant other right now, I tend to focus on the children in the family... I usually go way overboard on the candy and make up goodie bags for my nieces and nephews, with baked goods and candy and little gifts for them along with a card and a few "green bucks" inside... They always seem to enjoy getting their goodies from auntie, but probably not as much as I enjoy picking out the special things I get them each year... Each thing is picked out with love and lots of thought...

I like to make a special Valentine's Day dinner and sometimes invite friends over and sometimes my son stops in for some of "Mom's Cooking" :) It's a special time no matter who you spend it with, but I am curious how others celebrate it!

Laury

Re: How Do You Celebrate Valentine's Day?

Post by Laury » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:00 am

Tom doesn't like receiving cards, candy, flowers or presents. He likes to buy me cards, usually 2 so one can be funny and one romantic, candy, and sometimes a gift.
When I want to do something special for him, I cover for him during his evening, weekend or holiday job at the complex. I also do things for him on the computer. He only knows basics so I can often do things quicker and easier.

I like what you do for your nieces and nephews. I used to do things like that for my single friends.

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:31 am

Laury,

I am sure your hubby appreciates you covering for him and helping him with computer projects. That is a great way to show someone you love them. I bet you enjoy the cards and all the goodies.

When my kids were little they would make me a Valentine card and then give me a little booklet of homemade coupons for chores that they would do to help me out, like "I will wash the dishes 1 time" or "I will vacuum the rug 1 time" etc. I used to love getting those lol

invictus

Post by invictus » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 am

I'm not big on valentine's day. It's just a card for my husband and one for each of the kids. Maybe I will make a special dessert and maybe not but nothing other than that.

Denise

Post by Denise » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:09 pm

We always stay home and I make a "fancy" dinner. Usually a steak or some type of seafood, wine, candles, a bit of classical music. It's fun to do. We went out once, never again. All those people smooshed together and the noise and being so hectic, not so romantic! :lol:

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:01 am

invictus wrote:I'm not big on valentine's day. It's just a card for my husband and one for each of the kids. Maybe I will make a special dessert and maybe not but nothing other than that.
I guess I kind of look upon Valentine's Day as a special day to show the little ones how much I love them... I love seeing the looks on their faces when they open up their little bags of goodies :)

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:09 am

Denise wrote:We always stay home and I make a "fancy" dinner. Usually a steak or some type of seafood, wine, candles, a bit of classical music. It's fun to do. We went out once, never again. All those people smooshed together and the noise and being so hectic, not so romantic! :lol:
Sounds like a very nice way to celebrate Valentine's Day and very romantic too!

When I lived down in NC a few of us got together and went to The Melting Pot, where we had a dinner of dipping and sampling tidbits of seafood, meat and veggies with a few different kinds of sauces and broths in fondue pots, and you actually cook the meat and fish in the broths, then dip them in the sauces if you want to. It was awesome, and for dessert they had marshmallows, fruit, cake etc. to dip into chocolate fondue.. That could make for a very romantic evening too, with a couple of drinks...

invictus

Post by invictus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:30 am

I came across a recipe for peppermint patties that uses mashed potatoes which I thought was pretty cool. I'll be making those this year!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:36 am

When I was married, I always made a romantic dinner, candles, wine, usually a fire, we rented a good movie and just chilled. A couple of times we had another couple or two over and that was fine. Divorced for many years my Mom and Dad when they were alive we would have a fun dinner. Now, it is just my son and I and he cares less and hardly remembers anything other than his birthday. So NO, I don't get anything. I do have a good friend who always remembers me and sends a card, he is a great friend.

Last year I made valentines treats (red velvet cup cakes) for a local nursing home, they were thrilled.

My cats get fresh tunafish, grilled and some kitty milk to enjoy, fresh catnip in their toys too. And if my neighbor is nice, I may take something over for him.

I do get a card and present for my son as well.

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:41 pm

invictus wrote:I came across a recipe for peppermint patties that uses mashed potatoes which I thought was pretty cool. I'll be making those this year!
Yummmmm! I love those boxes of peppermint patties for 1.00.... I can only imagine how yummy yours will be! I hope you share the recipe with us :)