What Are You Reading 2021

Gerry

What Are You Reading 2021

Post by Gerry » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:56 pm

Hearing 'Rebecca' was on Netflix, wanting to read before watching and finding a hold would take months l headed over to Amazon and ordered Rebecca By Daphne Du Maurier "Totally deserving of the label 'classic, haunting unsettling and timeless, has one think to Jane Eyre" said to be one of the most influential novels of the century. Dare I admit there are two books that have seen to three readings and this is one of them. Been about 25 years since my last read. Guess what I will be doing this weekend!

What are you reading?

ellie

Re: What Are You Reading 2021

Post by ellie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:11 am

I really liked "Before the Coffee gets Cold" by Toshikazu Kawaguchi -- translated from Japanese. It is about a cafe where people can return back in time but you must follow the rules -- and there are a lot of them. It is a fun book -- nothing earth shattering but kept my interest.

Finished "Bloodline" by Jess Lourey -- a woman gets pregnant and moves back to her finance's hometown -- which seems to have underlying problems with everyone looking the same and children go missing. Although there are twists and turns you know the ending early on. I still enjoyed this book as it has enough twists and turns to keep my interest.

Today I am starting a John Grisham book "A time for mercy" -- another legal thriller.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:50 pm

Interesting reads Ellie! While I already have a library stash that should keep me going for a number of years love adding to it. I designated making 2021 a reading and indoor gardening winter while waiting to the return of warm and sunny. We already have had wind storms, ice storms, billizards and power outages, and now the highest per capita in Canada of Covid and January is not yet over. Yes a cuddle blanket, a cup of chai tea and reading makes for relax time.

Thanks to the heads up I enjoyed both The Orphan Collector: A Heroic Novel of Survival During the 1918 Influenza Panademic and Ruth Ware's thriller The Woman in Cabin 10.

Two e library books arrived, looking forward to The Wrong End of The Table: A Mostly Comic Memoir of a Muslim Arab American Just Trying To Fit In and My Mother's Secret by best selling Canadian author J W Witterick, inspired by the true story of Franciszke Halamajowa and her daughter who saved 15 Jewish people in Poland during World War Two.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:52 pm

I am currently reading "The Wrong Family" by Tarryn Fisher -- this is a bit different but keeps me reading -- lots of twists and turns. It is primarily about three people or 4 -- Winnie and her husband but also Juno (who moves in) and the son Samuel. An interesting read.

4 other books just came off library holds: "The Law of Innocence" by Michael Connelly, "Magic Lessons" by Alice Hoffman, "The Undocumented Americans" by Karla Cornejo Villaviceno, and "Mayflower Murders" by Anthony Horowitz. Some will probably be more interesting than others but all very different from each other. Not sure if I will finish them all in the short time that I have them -- that is a lot of reading in 3 weeks!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:16 pm

I too have had a number of library books arrive which of course sees to a change of plans when it comes to the reading. Been super cold here making for plenty of reading time. I did start some herbs and my fragrant tall nicotiana for an early start to spring. Can't wait to see them pop up.

I enjoyed 'My Wife Said You May Want To Marry Me' a touching love story and tribute to his wife by Jason Rosenthal, 'My Mother's Secret' inspired by a true story of a mother and daughter hiding and saving 15 Jewish people in World War Two as well as 'The Princess Diaries' by Carrie Fisher. Still deciding what tonight's read will be.
What are You reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:31 pm

Enjoying my winter reads, have one lot of projects in the planning in the next coming months, meanwhile I find time spent with a good book, my awesome fur babies and checking out new recipes brings a sense of normal during these trying times.

This weekend's read was 'If My Heart Had Wings' "A true story that reads like a novel" A memoir/biography by Nadine Taylor, a touching story of Nadine at age 13 finding a photo that had her discover her mother's secret life. The story of a young women widowed when her husbands plane crashed in World War Two. I like the author was moved by their love story. "A reminder that when we lose someone we love we pay with grief. Would we want it any other way" as often happens truth is stronger than fiction.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:12 am

I started "Midnight Library" by Matt Haig -- is a page turner and is different from what I usually read. It is a "what if" and takes place in that space between life and death and what if Nora made different choices how would things have turned out differently.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:56 pm

I love suspense mystery novels. But I don't like anything with sex or profanity. So I'm now reading the "Alex Hunt Adventure Thriller" series by Urcelia Teixeira. It's about archaeology searches from ancient times and the dangers involved from other, not-so-savory individuals who want the same thing. Full of intrigue and suspense.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Good to see you stop by lovenretirement I noted that the Alex Hunt Adventure series is said to make for binge reading. Will be checking my library.

Been under extreme cold warnings for days with wind chill temps near 50 below. Last night power off for a number of hours, with predicted temps of wind chill 45 below you can imagine how thankful to have it back on. Have to hope it was not an outdoor fix. Sees to slowdown time perfect for a warm cuddle blanket and a good book. Last power outage has me assure I have a good book downloaded!

Came upon an incredibly good book this weekend, not sure how I missed this local prairie love story.
'Never Leave Your Wingman:Dionne and Graham Warner's Story of Hope by Deanna Driver ' An amazing journey through surgeries, chemo and complimentary therapies defying all odds with laughter, joy, courage and hope' An awesome read.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:51 pm

Not sure what took me so long but 'The Boy Who Followed His Father To Auschwitz: A True Story of a family and Survial' by Jeremy Dronfield was my first free Amazon Prime, noted also offered on Book Bub. "It's a story to be read and remembered. A true story of love, loss and survival"

Seeing as my motto has always been a place for everything and everything in its place no surprise I have one lot of 'how to' books, to the point I have found myself saying I could have wrote that one! These days after a surgery and a back that often suggests I not get too motivated at times, add in fur babies and gardening I have to for most part go with priorities. Yet I could not resist the New York Times best seller The Life - Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kundo. A lot of good pointers many of which I go with and likely a good guide for someone looking to start decluttering. Right now doing 10 extra things a day, matters not if major or small, a hint from by daughter is working well for me.

What are you reading?