What Are You Reading 2020

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2020

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Ellie, there is no doubt we are enjoying a winter of reading. I am still hoping 'Before We Were Yours' comes my way for the weekend, meanwhile heading over to my library stash. Looking forward to your 'When We Believed in Mermaids' review.

Also looking to see more of our members share their book choices and reviews. :)

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:29 pm

ellie wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:11 pm
I am starting When We Believed in Mermaids by Barbara O'Neal. It is about two sisters who re-discover each other -- one was thought to be dead and then appeared on tv. Not sure what to expect but the reviews are good.

I am number 4 on 3 copies for The World That We Knew by Alice Hoffman -- so should be the next read after When We Believed in Mermaids.
I loved "When we Believed in Mermaids" -- it is a tear jerker for sure. About two sisters who grew up in a not-perfect situation but were very close and one died -- but 15 years later the younger one saw her on tv -- and goes to find her sister -- tears and love and everything wrapped up in one book! A wonderful read!

I am now 3 on 3 copies for The World That We Knew by Alice Hoffman -- a few more weeks -- but should be off the hold soon.

Starting "The Secret Letter" by Debbie Rix -- historical fiction about WWII -- two girls one in England and one in Germany. It starts off with letters found and is the story about the letters. It should be interesting.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:23 pm

Great to see what others are reading, Ellie I see we are keeping our libraries busy!

Just finished reading ‘Before We Were Yours by ‘Lisa Wingate a New YorkTimes, USA and Wall Street Journal Bestseller is ‘based on one of America’s most notorious real-life scandals—in which Georgia Tann, director of a Memphis-based adoption organization, kidnapped and sold poor children to wealthy families all over the country’
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVfIHZS5e5A

Admittedly I may not have read this had it not been based on a real life story which would have been my loss as Lisa Wingate pulled me in and had me turning the pages. She has me looking forward to ‘Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society' I am 13 on 2 copies of so I will be seeing to wait time.

I am #2 of 26 copies for Tattooist Of Auschwitz which should soon see a copy coming my way.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Started he Third Rainbow Girl: The Long Life of a Double Murder in Appalachia by Emma Copley Eisenberg -- it is about the murder of two girls and the investigation and trial that follows.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:35 am

'From The Ashes' by Jessie Thistle. ‘In this heart-warming and heart-wrenching memoir, Jesse Thistle writes honestly and fearlessly about his painful past, the abuse he endured and how he uncovered the truth about his parents. Through sheer perseverance and education — and newfound love — he found his way back into the circle of his Indigenous culture and family. After years of searching for her son, Jesse Thistle's mom finds him in a rehab facility.’

Jesse Thistle is Métis-Cree an author, assistant professor in the Department of Equity Studies at York University in Toronto. Thistle is an advocate for the homeless.
I am 49 on 6 at my library.

My library hold for 'Tattooist Of Auschwitz' arrived today.

What are you reading ?

ellie

Post by ellie » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:07 pm

Gerry wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:35 am
'From The Ashes' by Jessie Thistle. ‘In this heart-warming and heart-wrenching memoir, Jesse Thistle writes honestly and fearlessly about his painful past, the abuse he endured and how he uncovered the truth about his parents. Through sheer perseverance and education — and newfound love — he found his way back into the circle of his Indigenous culture and family. After years of searching for her son, Jesse Thistle's mom finds him in a rehab facility.’

Jesse Thistle is Métis-Cree an author, assistant professor in the Department of Equity Studies at York University in Toronto. Thistle is an advocate for the homeless.
I am 49 on 6 at my library.

My library hold for 'Tattooist Of Auschwitz' arrived today.

What are you reading ?
I really liked the Tattooist of Auschwitz -- hope you enjoy it too!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:03 am

Awhile back I did a recommend at my e library for ‘Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains’ by Cassie Chambers. Seeing it highly recommended by an internet friend who grew up in the area, not wanting to wait months and months I headed over to Amazon and added it to my e library.

Cassie Chambers is an attorney with two Ivy League degrees who grew up in the Appalachians. Her family were share croppers living in poverty on a tobacco farm. In this her powerful memoir ‘she pays tribute to the strong ‘Hill Women’ of the Appalachians. I have to agree it is not just her story but that of her mother and grandmother as well. Another book I suspect may be one of my top 2020 reads.

Looking to be a great weekend of relax and read time, I am now reading 'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz' which I set aside to read Hill Women, this morning received the newly released unabridged ‘Diary of a Young Girl’ by Ann Frank that I had on order from Amazon.

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:16 pm

Gerry wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:03 am
Awhile back I did a recommend at my e library for ‘Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains’ by Cassie Chambers. Seeing it highly recommended by an internet friend who grew up in the area, not wanting to wait months and months I headed over to Amazon and added it to my e library.

Cassie Chambers is an attorney with two Ivy League degrees who grew up in the Appalachians. Her family were share croppers living in poverty on a tobacco farm. In this her powerful memoir ‘she pays tribute to the strong ‘Hill Women’ of the Appalachians. I have to agree it is not just her story but that of her mother and grandmother as well. Another book I suspect may be one of my top 2020 reads.

Looking to be a great weekend of relax and read time, I am now reading 'The Tattooist Of Auschwitz' which I set aside to read Hill Women, this morning received the newly released unabridged ‘Diary of a Young Girl’ by Ann Frank that I had on order from Amazon.
Hill women isn't listed on my library -- so it would have to be a purchase on my end.

New book just got released from the holds: "The World that we knew" by Alice Hoffman but I am still reading "The Third Rainbow Girl" which is going slowly -- not exactly a page turner but is holding my interest so far -- it is more about the region than the murders and trial which is what I wanted to read about.

"The Secret Letter" lost my interest and have stopped reading it as you can almost predict how it ends -- too many similar books.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Ellie 'The World that we knew' by Alice Hoffman has a good many positive reviews which should make for a good read. As for 'Hill Woman' which was just released January 7th was not yet available at my library either but I did put a 'recommend' on it last month which would see me on one of the first holds when purchased by the library.

A 'Recommend' to purchase often sees a book come my way sooner than expected, but after reading my friend's comments on 'Hill Women' I immediately headed over to Amazon. Still think it may well be one of my top reads of 2020. Usually I go with Book Bub or the library, this month sees my pocket book a touch lighter!

I have friends asking me for Thrillers, Suspense, Fantasy, Science Fiction and such, I for one looking for a few laugh out louds, which has me hoping others will join in with Ellie and I and share their favourites.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:16 pm

Gerry wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:07 pm
Ellie 'The World that we knew' by Alice Hoffman has a good many positive reviews which should make for a good read. As for 'Hill Woman' which was just released January 7th was not yet available at my library either but I did put a 'recommend' on it last month which would see me on one of the first holds when purchased by the library.

A 'Recommend' to purchase often sees a book come my way sooner than expected, but after reading my friend's comments on 'Hill Women' I immediately headed over to Amazon. Still think it may well be one of my top reads of 2020. Usually I go with Book Bub or the library, this month sees my pocket book a touch lighter!

I have friends asking me for Thrillers, Suspense, Fantasy, Science Fiction and such, I for one looking for a few laugh out louds, which has me hoping others will join in with Ellie and I and share their favourites.
What are you reading?
I enjoy the thrillers and suspense books too -- am always looking for new books to check out!