Holiday Cookies, Candy and Treats

Moderators: LindasBusyKitchen, Kchurchill5

invictus

Re: Holiday Cookies, Candy and Treats

Post by invictus » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Pannetone intimidates me, if you make it let me know how it goes. Here is the recipe for frosted nutmeg logs:

Frosted Nutmeg Logs

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp rum extract
2 1/2 flour
1 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 cups icing sugar
2 tsp rum extract
2 to 3 Tbs milk
ground nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. In a seperate bowl sift together flour, nutmeg, and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

3. Divide dough into three portions. Roll each portion into 3/4 inch logs and cut into 2 inch pieces. Place onto ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-16 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Beat in the icing sugar, extract, and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost cookies. Press down with tines of a fork, making lines to assimilate tree bark. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Servings: 36

Cooking Times
Cooking Time: 12 minutes

Oven Temperature: 350°F

I haven't made them yet but did end up making dough for cut out cookies which I haven't made since I left home. I still have yet to roll them out, cut them, bake them, or ice them so I may need some encouragement! It seems like so much trouble but I love the end result.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks for the Nutmeg Log recipe invictus. I may have to use real rum in this but so what, it sounds super delish! I'm sure you'll find the encouragement to finish the cookies as Christmas Eve/Day draws closer. The holiday spirit will probably just grab you and off you'll start to bake and decorate them without even thinking about the work, but only about the fabulous end result.

The panettone is kinda in my head more as I woke up this morning. I was also shying away because it looks a bit labour intensive. Also I still can't make up my mind on what "fruits" I want to put in cause I don't like candied citron. I am thinking to keep it simple and do raisins and orange zest. Or raisins, maraschino cherries and almond extract.

HotPepperRosemary

Post by HotPepperRosemary » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:11 pm

I made Rosettes!!! Here's a photo! Image

Nice and light and delicious with fresh brewed coffee!!!! Yum! These are what are left after I sent them to neighbors! :D

HotPepperRosemary

Post by HotPepperRosemary » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:12 pm

By the way that is a large turkey sized plastic bag! Looks like it is smaller than it is! :lol:

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:33 pm

lol Jelly it does look small! I would have never guessed. I actually made the panettone but it isn't a traditional recipe (I went with an easier less labour intensive recipe) and did the raisins,currants and orange zest. Wish I found dried cherries but I guess they haven't started importing that yet...
Turned out delicious though! Dad and I had it for breakfast today and will have again tomorrow morning too :D

invictus

Post by invictus » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Beautiful Roxanne! Do you have the recipe to post? I'd love to keep it in my files.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Thank you invictus! I did end up posting a recipe for it cause I did a lot of personalization to the original recipe and this is only half of the recipe too, still made a nice big loaf! So I posted my version with the half recipe measurements I used. Hope you enjoy.

HotPepperRosemary

Post by HotPepperRosemary » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:23 pm

invictus wrote:Beautiful Roxanne! Do you have the recipe to post? I'd love to keep it in my files.
It looks delicious!!!! My family would really like that...I know it!!! :D

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks Jelly :)

LindasBusyKitchen

Post by LindasBusyKitchen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:24 pm

MMMMMmmmm, the cookies and bread look so good!