Hello and Welcome!

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

Hello and Welcome!

Post by Gerry » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Welcome to the Potluck forum here at Recipezazz. Looking forward to seeing all my old friends as well as meeting the new friends joining us. Please be sure to to stop in - just to say hello, plan your potluck,share ideas or find special recipes that will make your dish the hit of the party!

Dissie

Re: Hello and Weclome!

Post by Dissie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:00 pm

I love the idea of this forum! I don't always have a potluck to go to, but it is going to be a great place to see some show cased recipes and ideas.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Dissie wrote:I love the idea of this forum! I don't always have a potluck to go to, but it is going to be a great place to see some show cased recipes and ideas.
You are right Dissie, this forum will be a great place to showcase recipes and ideas! Potlucks are great for family gatherings big and small, church suppers,sporting events, Sunday morning brunch, anytime! I often make my own little 'potluck' meals for weekend company. :D

foxysnana

Post by foxysnana » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:46 pm

I come from a large family, (nearly 50 when we are all together, uncles, aunts, cousins, inlaws & outlaws) even more if it is a family reunion, or church dinner. Every holiday meal, everything is always potluck, I will have to watch here for ideas, and post a few as well

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:38 pm

foxysnana wrote:I come from a large family, (nearly 50 when we are all together, uncles, aunts, cousins, inlaws & outlaws) even more if it is a family reunion, or church dinner. Every holiday meal, everything is always potluck, I will have to watch here for ideas, and post a few as well
Hi foxysanana Sounds like every gathering at your house could be considered a family reunion! Have always maintained the test of a good recipe is bringing the dish, platter or bowl home empty along with the recipe requests. Living in 'Potluck Country' I find I cannot have too many crowd pleasing make and takes, so please stop in and post those recipes.

I'm hoping my eye issues settle down so I can get to camera work - in the meanwhile hoping everyone will include any photos they have along with the recipes. :D

sylviaoliver

Post by sylviaoliver » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Hope someone can suggest some ideas. We are having a potluck at work and the meats were divided into two people, I have to bring turkey for 15 or so people. Any ideas? we have microwaves at work so will be able to heat it up...I was thinking just to cook a small turkey breast but am concerned it will be dry. Appreciate any input...

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi Sylvia. My make and takes for most part are within my small community allowing me to prepare a hot dish that is served within the hour, kept warm in either an oven or a crock pot. Roaster ovens are becoming popular in our area. A weekend party would give you plenty of time to prepare, that yours is an office potluck has me assuming you need to roast your turkey either the night before or very early in the morning before leaving for work. Personally loving turkey as I do my option for 15 people would be to roast a turkey, but if it needed to be done after work or before leaving for work, roasting a turkey breast would save you hours of time in the making. We have turkey about once a month, can vouch that reheating in a microwave works beautifully. I add a little of the pan juices or a very light gravy to keep it moist and flavourful. If making dressing rolling it in foil like a sausage, refrigerating, when cold sliced and added to the platter makes for one lot of ohhs and awes -never a slice left over! We need to hear from the office crowd, please come in and tell us what works well for you. Drop in an share your office potluck ideas, recipes and photos! :D

Dot

Post by Dot » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:44 am

Just wanted to stop by and say" Hi Gerry". I almost feel at home already. This will indeed be a great forum ,coming from a family that have many gatherings. I look forward to seeing some great suggestions. Congratulations Gerry, you will do great. :D :D

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:32 am

Dot wrote:Just wanted to stop by and say" Hi Gerry". I almost feel at home already. This will indeed be a great forum ,coming from a family that have many gatherings. I look forward to seeing some great suggestions. Congratulations Gerry, you will do great. :D :D
Great to see you drop by to say hello, you are going to love it here! Have made many of your wonderful recipes these past number of years, know you share my love of planing and preparing for family reunions, the gathering of family and friends along with church and community potlucks. Looking forward to your participation sharing your suggestions, recipes and photos. :D

foxysnana

Post by foxysnana » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 pm

sylviaoliver wrote:Hope someone can suggest some ideas. We are having a potluck at work and the meats were divided into two people, I have to bring turkey for 15 or so people. Any ideas? we have microwaves at work so will be able to heat it up...I was thinking just to cook a small turkey breast but am concerned it will be dry. Appreciate any input...

I used to work as a caterer, and this was our take on doing turkey. Bake as normal, slice at home. Pour some warm broth over the turkey, not too much, but a little moisture. You do not want the turkey to float, but you want it to retain moisture. This way it can be warmed if needed. Another option would be to use a slow cooker on warm to keep the turkey warm. If you use this option, you may not have nice slices of turkey, but the turkey will be hot, just use a bit of broth to keep the moisture in it.