2015 Slimdown

Sue

2015 Slimdown

Post by Sue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:35 pm

One of my resolutions for the year is a healthy one, deciding I am going to attempt to slim down by 25 pounds/almost 2 stone/11k.

If you would like to join me, I will be keeping track here of how much I have succeeded in getting rid of.
The hope is that with social support, we can be more successful at improving our health.
And I know some people won't try at all because they think it sets them up to fail--but. Every little bit you do lose, even if it is not your goal, helps.

If you post your goal (not body weight but amount you hope to lose) I will track it here over time.

As a point of advice, I plan to follow a mixed batch of reduction in carbs, fats and calories. Rather than any one type of diet, I prefer to just eat healthier overall.
My plan is to lose about 1-2 pounds per week if I can and certainly no more. I do not advocate weight loss any more rapid than that.
I also suggest you consult your medical practitioner and dietitian for the types of foods most suitable for you to eat. We are all different so what works for one person might in fact be harmful to another, so be smart about it.
I weigh once a week, just so as not to be ocd about it.

I will keep track of me and anyone else who would like to participate below:

Sue: (goal -25 pounds)
Since 1.2.15: -4.2 pounds

Kim: (goal -25 pounds)
Since 1.16.15: -1 pound

Luv: (goal -25 pounds)
Since 1.19.15: -4 pounds

I hope you guys want to jump in and not leave me in the swimming pool by myself! :lol:
Last edited by Sue on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:06 am, edited 7 times in total.

Sue

Re: 2015 Slimdown

Post by Sue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:40 pm

Always a great idea to increase your intake of water for body flush and hydration during exercise.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 pm

I'm with you; although had a few guests and things; where I knew I would not be able too. So, starting this Friday, I am really starting my goal. 25lbs AS WELL. I want to get to my size 4 or 6 which I always have been.

Most of my weight has come from injuries; and lack of the exercise I normally did - minus the injuries.

Like you Sue, NO diet; NO carb free, or this or that - just healthy eating. A bit lighter now and then; more veggies, more fruits, etc. And, more exercise a must.

NO loss so far; but, had guests, and people over; so, I knew I wasn't starting until this week. One has to be realistic ... you can cheat, but ... all in moderation.

I did loose 1 lb on the tread climber this week; but, I wasn't consistent, and knew I wouldn't be. Hopefully, it will go up this week. Like you About 2-4lbs a week is what I normally loose; with still enjoying eating. Portion control is all very important.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 pm

Definitely more water; at least 4 water bottles a day, easily.

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:20 pm

I agree...having like minded people for support is so much easier. As I live in the bush...and only get to see people when I go to town...having support here will be wonderful.

My goal also is 25lbs. I will be starting January 19th as I have a birthday dinner that I need to attend this Saturday.

Sue...I am so happy you came up with this idea! Now I am excited and looking forward to it! I will be making my Cabbage Soup (Diet) to which I add boneless skinless chicken breast for dinner. Whenever I get hungry during the day...I have a cup of the soup. I do not cut too much from my diet...with the exception of cheese (my BIG downfall). I am not much on sweets so that part will be easy. And I drink 2.2L water everyday anyway.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 pm

luvin, I'm big on water too. Less wine and beer'; more exercise ... and less portions should work for me. But, agree, a good support system. No sweets here; and lunch is usually just a snack.

Me, I eat late due to work; so, it can be 6-11. But as we said ... moderation, just lower fat; and just being smart.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Tonight I had shrimp and pepper skewers; also zucchini, tomato and cheese casserole; but; really NOT much cheese compared to the zucchini and tomato. Just a drizzle of evoo, s/p and a no salt seasoning. So, semi healthy ... again, just moderation is all.

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:00 am

Good Morning! Luv & Kim, glad to see you guys join in. There is always room to jump on the wagon.

My tip for the day is marinated cucumbers. I know everybody has their own recipe. I keep them in a tub in the fridge at all times as emergency food. I eat it if I feel hungry as well as chugging down another pint of water at those times. I can use the marinade for 2-3 days depending by just adding more vegetables.
I know as a diabetic some of my medicine can cause sudden drops in blood sugar so in effect I will feel like I am dying of starvation. It is also important for me when I get that way to test the bs. Just in case.
The cukes thing is good because being diabetic I have to be a grazer with food and supply the body with small amounts at a time so it doesn't become overwhelmed. But the grazing thing can work for anybody, provided you eat smaller meals and have other things prepared so you aren't making 1000 small meals a day.

Bill and I both are reducing right now, so that makes it easy for me. I don't have to worry about the complaints and needs of non-dieters, but if that is the case for you, be careful since you are the one preparing meals. Using the freezer you can cook ahead normal entrees, freeze them, so the non-dieter can have something else (let's say a frozen piece of lasagna) and if they want something more fresh, it encourages them to eat healthy with the group.

Bill and I are also doing a weigh-in on Friday and not peeking at other times except if Friday is a bust, then there will be another on Monday to let the guilty party see if they have righted their course without having to wait an entire week. But we both think weighing every day is counter effective, since no movement on it (which often happens day to day) is discouraging, as well as temporary spikes from water retention, etc.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:34 am

Marinated cucumbers sound really good.
I love celery stuffed with cream cheese and chives or peanut butter. NOT too much, just a little for the flavor. Just 2-3 are a nice snack (about 3-4" long). I have also been making green goddess dressing for dipping. A good way to use my herbs; and, it is a tasty dressing. Just a little goes a long ways.
I have been growing radishes; so, they make a great dip ... along with CUCUMBERS, carrots and celery.
Lemon water and cucumber water are great too during the day. I have 2 lemon waters every day. NOW, cold tastes better; but, it is proven, room temp is the way to go with fresh lemon juice - a natural detox. However, you enjoy a cold glass with a lemon slice any time of the day.

Today, cottage cheese with blueberries for breakfast.
Lunch, 3 shrimp leftover from last night, with a couple of zucchini and a tomato slice from my casserole. Very small dish; but, enough.
Dinner, ham and bean soup (probably not the healthiest); and a grilled cheese sandwich w/tomato. ;)

I know, but; I'm not gonna be perfect every day. Last night, I had NO starch, healthy grilled shrimp and peppers; and, a tomato zucchini casserole. NO bread crumbs. I used a NON stick spray; and only 2 tablespoons of cheese. :o

I did 30 minutes on my tread climber as well this am; and, will start with 50 situps every night and some pilates type of stretching; and, using weights to strengthen my arms and tone them up. Just 10-15 min at night is enough. Just do it while watching TV :D
And ... if you have pets ... they will love to help by jumping on your back or laying on your tummy as you are trying to do this, trust me :lol: :lol: :lol:

And, tomorrow, I am doing a simply grilled tilapia with a pan tomato relish. Again, light carbs. Zucchini stuffed and grilled too. Now, a few bread crumbs; but, less than 1 slice; olives, onions, carrots, celery; and ... just a little cheese. Again, NOT no carb; but, healthier. And fruit or a small salad on the side.

I never graze, or hardly ever. And lunch is usually my snack. Sue, I do understand being diabetic, you have to eat more often.

And, no sweets for me, don't like them; so, I have no problem not eating them. The only time I do ... is with friends. If I go out or have them over, I will have a small bit; just to fit in.
I don't mind a small scoop of coffee ice cream now and then as a treat, but maybe 1x/month is all.

Well, that is it for me; and, yes. Weight every 4-5 days; or once a week. Every day doesn't work. Our body fluctuates all the time up and down. Not a good thing to check daily. Down 2 lbs; but, really haven't started till this week; but, just a few changes have helped. It doesn't take much.

We often forget what really adds calories and what doesn't. Stress about worrying about every calorie can be just as bad as the calories themselves.
Just eat healthy and exercise! And, if you mess up ... don't stress.

MommaG

Post by MommaG » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Great thread! We have been working with my son (11) on portion control and eating more fruits. Water, water, and more water. He went 2 months without a soda! :mrgreen: In two months he has lost 12 pounds. It has helped all of us to be aware of portion control. When we go out to eat and he gets fries he only gets a small portion of them. Good luck to everyone!!!