Bone-in or boneless

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

BigDTexas

Bone-in or boneless

Post by BigDTexas » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:51 pm

As a rule, are bone in cuts of meat more or less moist? I make a pork chop casserole using small top loin chops. It is very good, but I was wondering if using bone-in chops would make it even juicier . moister? Ideas? Is this true of other meats as well? Bone-in or boneless has always been sort of a puzzle to me. Thanks!

lovinretirement

Re: Bone-in or boneless

Post by lovinretirement » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:07 pm

I don't feel that bone-in meats are especially more moist. But they are definitely more flavorful. To make pork more moist, I always marinate it for at least 4 hours before cooking. Depending on the flavor you want to impart, use any acid, like citrus or flavored vinegars, minced garlic, salt, pepper, fresh herbs or even dried herbs, a little olive oil and something sweet, like honey, brown sugar or agave.

BigDTexas

Post by BigDTexas » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:56 pm

I appreciate the time you took to send me a reply. This will go in a casserole sort of thing with soup etc. so I think I will use a bone-in cut of chop and marinate it for a little while using an Italian dressing beforehand, and then use the spices when I am browning them. I also add sauteed onions to the casserole. I may also try a tine bit of brown sugar or honey thrown in there. I have made this many times before, but I have never tried it with bone-in. I just thought it would add a little extra something. Thanks so much for your advice!

Cassie.MO

Post by Cassie.MO » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:35 pm

I prefer bone-in I think the meat around the bone is more tender but not the rest of the chop, I also agree the flavor is better, I like to hold the bone an chew around it :D so that being said my preference would be with the bone , the only thing I hate is when you fry them they seem to curl up so I have found that slicing the chop a little keeps them flatter

AnnJMe

Post by AnnJMe » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:55 pm

I love bone in. To me without the bone most times meat is on the tougher side.

Cupcake33

Post by Cupcake33 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:51 pm

no question, bone in definatley, more flavor and more tender!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:21 am

Another bone lover here. I definitely think more flavor and more tender.

As for chops, pan frying chops with the bone in ... as mentioned, cut a few slices down the fat on the outside of the chop. It will prevent them from curling up.

Bone in, I also think is a bit more forgiving when cooking. It is very easy to overcook boneless cuts.
Beef, chicken, and pork; I think can get tough when overcooked, especially when grilling or pan frying. Slower, low temp can be a better method in some cases.

For thick chops I often will brine, bread, or stuff; which creates a more moist chop.
Also, cooking in the crock pot can create a very moist meat too.

Also, with boneless pieces; I like pan sear, then finish in the oven. I find that trying to cook thick chops or chicken breasts stove top, get dry.

BigDTexas

Post by BigDTexas » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:35 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am cooking these in a casserole with soup and everything vs pan frying of just baking by themselves. I have made this many times before, but, always with boneless top loin chops. It is good, but Iam just curious to see if if this makes any difference in flavor and juiciness of the meat. etc. I think this time, I will use bone-in chops and and marinate them some in advance. I really appreciate the help.

Teejay

Post by Teejay » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:53 pm

I only buy chops with the bone they are much better tasting

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:47 pm

There is a reason bones are used to make broth, etc. That is where the flavor is!

I prefer bome in !