What's Up Today

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Shadows1

Re: What's Up Today

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:46 pm

I know what you mean about rust Bergy, I don't get excited for the holidays any more.

ellie

Post by ellie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Bergy wrote:Shopping just about all done except last minutes cold cuts for our Scandinavian Christmas Eve. Mincemeat Tarts are made. This is the only thing I make now - I buy everything else from local wonderful bakers. This year I missed out on the special Church sale of all the wonderful cookies & cakes that you can imagine. I was tied up the day of their sale. Only a few years ago I would spend days, like most of you do now, making at least 8 different Christmas cookies etc and then make up gift boxes for some our friends. Now I am too lazy and all but 3 of those friends have passed on so I take the easy way out. There is some rust on our Golden years.
Our weather forecast for Christmas Day is cold. but sunny! Yippee
I better check my "to do" list and be sure to stay on schedule. Back later.
I was wondering about your Scandinavian Christmas Eve. Can you tell me more about it? My husband is Finnish so I have been making the coffee bread for years and sometimes make other Finnish recipes -- but the Christmas Eve sounds wonderful!

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:35 pm

ellie wrote:
Bergy wrote:Shopping just about all done except last minutes cold cuts for our Scandinavian Christmas Eve. Mincemeat Tarts are made. This is the only thing I make now - I buy everything else from local wonderful bakers. This year I missed out on the special Church sale of all the wonderful cookies & cakes that you can imagine. I was tied up the day of their sale. Only a few years ago I would spend days, like most of you do now, making at least 8 different Christmas cookies etc and then make up gift boxes for some our friends. Now I am too lazy and all but 3 of those friends have passed on so I take the easy way out. There is some rust on our Golden years.
I was wondering about your Scandinavian Christmas Eve. Can you tell me more about it? My husband is Finnish so I have been making the coffee bread for years and sometimes make other Finnish recipes -- but the Christmas Eve sounds wonderful!
Scandinavian Christmas Eve is like a smorgasbord. I used to put out about 7 courses bu now down to 3 or 4. A ll sorts of cold cuts (Special recipes) like:
Smoked Eel & scrambled egg
Pickled Herring-Logsild, Rollmops,Matjes, served with hard boiled eggs
Herring Salad -sildesalat
Shrimp Salad -Rejesalat
Liver Pate - Leverpostej served with Danish white pickles
Tongue salad - Tunge Salat
Headcheese -Sylte
Smoked Salmon & scrambled egg -

Roasted Duck or Goose

Always a large selection of cheese as the last coarse
The cold cuts are served as open faced sandwiches and are quite fancy with their toppings
The list goes on & On. but actually just put"Danish" in the search box and you will get lots of ideas. If you want more info just ask.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Ahh Bergy, sounds wonderful! Back in the day our country home would see to 40 - 45, after moving down to 20 - 25 , that allows for all that wonderful variety of food choices! These days much smaller groups! I would love to get to to the Farmer's Market for some of the extra baking but never get there, these days baking down to the family holiday must makes.

While finding special crackers, today made two batches of lovely Onion and Ceddar Bread baked baguette style for the Christmas Eve chacuterie board. Good thing I made two batches as the aroma had everyone wanting a sample! Another major shop so off to reorangize the fridge and back to the tidy up!

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Gerry Sounds wonderful. I wish I were close enough to smell that wonderful. aroma

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:39 am

Bergy wrote:
ellie wrote:
Scandinavian Christmas Eve is like a smorgasbord. I used to put out about 7 courses bu now down to 3 or 4. A ll sorts of cold cuts (Special recipes) like:
Smoked Eel & scrambled egg
Pickled Herring-Logsild, Rollmops,Matjes, served with hard boiled eggs
Herring Salad -sildesalat
Shrimp Salad -Rejesalat
Liver Pate - Leverpostej served with Danish white pickles
Tongue salad - Tunge Salat
Headcheese -Sylte
Smoked Salmon & scrambled egg -

Roasted Duck or Goose

Always a large selection of cheese as the last coarse
The cold cuts are served as open faced sandwiches and are quite fancy with their toppings
The list goes on & On. but actually just put"Danish" in the search box and you will get lots of ideas. If you want more info just ask.
Wow!

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:50 am

When you grow up with a tradition like this it really is a "WOW"

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Had a call just before lunch that added to my day! What a surprise, Co-op called to inform me I won the Christmas Grocery Draw! The prize the amount of the bill drawn. How good for this foodie it was one of this weeks, any one of them would have been worth winning but yesterdays groceries including a turkey, let's just a say a big win! For one who rarely has ever won or has expectations of a win it was a lovely start to the Christmas holidays! Now back to the prepping and tidying. I think another of the grans is on the way, looking like it's going to be a wonderful Christmas! Hoping the same for all of you! :)

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:40 am

That's the way to start Christmas Gerry. Congrats!!! How Lovely for you.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:06 pm

All our gifts are wrapped and ready to load into sleigh or have been delivered to our out of town family, that is a first for us LOL!