What's Up Today

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Sue

Re: What's Up Today

Post by Sue » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:09 am

One week out from T-Day! :D Time is really flying! But of course as soon as mid-January hits the days slow to a crawl for me until Spring thaw. I have always associated that with the low amount of sunlight. I really am a sunshine oriented creature and really should go back to Florida but it just hasn't happened so far. Better jobs up here in the northern tundra.

Snow has been melting a little bit. It is supposed to be 58 on Sunday but that comes with rain. I won't sweat it because I know the day comes soon when I will wish it would rain instead of...sleet...ice....snow.

More unpacking to do today. That is going to be going on for quite some time. I just hope the place still doesn't look like a warehouse when Sarah comes home for Christmas.
I have been window shopping freezers to put one in the basement. Going over the fruitcake setup with outlets and of course, where I want to put the freezer doesn't have one nearby. So I can run it on extensions or pay $200 to an electrician to have another one put in. Funny, there are lots and lots of outlets in the other part of the basement (it is divided into three parts- laundry room, utility room, and rec room). If I run the cord from the rec room, I won't be able to close the doors all the way to either the laundry or rec room. No biggie right now since I still have some finishing to do down there in the rec room (it still needs work, on the drywall and flooring) but at some point, it won't be a good idea. Former owners were remodeling the basement but only got it about half finished. They'd recently had a baby so I think she took time off from her job and probably couldn't afford their mortgage payment anymore. We were already aware that they had sunk a significant amount of cash into the place and were happy about that, so no biggie to finish the stuff down there.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:18 pm

One of my favorites is Hawaiian Sweet Potato Balls. Got this recipe from my old trusty Betty Crocker cookbook I got as a wedding present 48 years ago. I just posted the recipe, so it probably won't show up for a while. But you can google it. They're so easy to make, and always a hit.

Mary

Post by Mary » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:47 am

lovinretirement wrote:One of my favorites is Hawaiian Sweet Potato Balls. Got this recipe from my old trusty Betty Crocker cookbook I got as a wedding present 48 years ago. I just posted the recipe, so it probably won't show up for a while. But you can google it. They're so easy to make, and always a hit.
Here 'tis. :) Sounds good!

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/hawaii ... alls-16017

Shadows1

Re: Smoked Turkey

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:00 am

Got up at 6:30 AM to get the smoker going for that turkey I have been trying to get smoked this week. It was 28°F and calm wind. Got the smoker up to temp and put the turkey in, all was going well. After the sun got up better the winds picked up an the temps in the smoker went low then high. Might just give the bird a few hours of smoke and finish in the oven, we will see.Cold weather smoking unless you have a real smoke house is a challenge! :shock: ;)

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:14 am

I think any kind of smoking would be a challenge. I hope yours turns out perfect even if you have to finish it in the oven.

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:41 am

There are thermometers available that will remotely measure the inside food temp and also the temp inside the smoker or grill. You can clip it to your belt or pocket and keep an eye on it so the temp doesn't stray too much.
As long as you don't add too much fuel when it dips it shouldn't go too high.

Isabella'sCanOpener

Post by Isabella'sCanOpener » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:43 am

Today I joined RecipeZazz in hopes of finding lost friends and making new ones. (I see some familiar names so I am hopeful.) I have had Zazz bookmarked for quite a while but, as my life got very complicated, I never got around to joining until today when I was looking for advice from fellow "Chefs". ( I will post the question in the appropriate forum) I look forward to being an active part of the community.

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:06 am

A big welcome to you Isabelle - You came to the right spot. Lovely friendly members that are also great cooks! We would love to see you visit the photo forum!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:22 am

Sue wrote:There are thermometers available that will remotely measure the inside food temp and also the temp inside the smoker or grill. You can clip it to your belt or pocket and keep an eye on it so the temp doesn't stray too much.
As long as you don't add too much fuel when it dips it shouldn't go too high.
My electric one is a better option for smaller items during the summer. My larger wood smoker is very hard to keep at temp, especially when it is 95 hot. It just runs hotter, no matter what I do. But, if I was an advid smoker, I would be watching it all the time. Sometimes I have to work, or have stuff going on; so, I don't watch it carefully.

I do have a thermometer like that.

My wood charcoal smoker is better for Fall/Winter smoking; but, when it gets really cold ... again, especially with a strong wind, I have to keep an eye on it.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:23 am

Welcome Isabelle, nice to meet you!