So what's on the menu for your holiday feast?

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

HeatherFeather

So what's on the menu for your holiday feast?

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:12 pm

I am going to try something different this year for my Christmas Dinner meal - roast chicken instead of a large meat, since it will just be my bf and I. Either that or possibly Cornish Game Hens, but for now I am leaning towards the chicken.

So that plan will be:
Roast Chicken (probably using a Rachel Allen recipe I like)
Either pan gravy or English Bread Sauce (possibly both)
Roast Potatoes (British Style)
Mini Sausages wrapped in bacon (British style)
Roast Brussels Sprouts (Nigella Lawson recipe -the only way I will eat this veg)
Stuffing (either Stove Top or the lemon stuffing that goes with the chicken recipe)
Whole Wheat Rolls (homemade)
Some kind of jello salad (picking something from my vintage collection)

Still thinking about dessert - a cake of some kind, possibly gingerbread or something chocolate based. Maybe chocolate mousse if I can track down a recipe I have been hunting down for years.

What are you planning to make?

Felix4067

Re: So what's on the menu for your holiday feast?

Post by Felix4067 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:11 pm

It depends on which feast you're talking about. :lol: We only have three this year, so it could be worse.

The one at my house on the 23rd:
Baked ham with flat bread for optional sandwiches
Sour Cream Potato Casserole
Shrimp Salad
Relish tray with dill pickles, sweet pickles, pepperoni sticks, summer sausage sticks, pepper jack cheese, cheddar and Swiss
Variety crackers with various cheese spreads (store bought, my sister doesn't cook)
Deviled eggs
Some kind of pinwheels (my sister usually does cream cheese and deli roast beef)
Lemon Meringue pie
Cherry pie
Holiday Punch
And I'm doing a cookie tray: Cream Cheese Walnut Drop Cookies, White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Cookies, Soft Molasses Spice Cookies, Oreo Truffles, Cherry Pie Filling Bread and my Grandma Brown's Gingerbread

The one at my dad's house on the 30th:
Baked beans
BBQ meatballs
Another relish tray identical to the one at Mom's
Another cheese and crackers thing identical to the one at Mom's
I'll be bringing another cookie tray and gingerbread
Cranberry Feta Pinwheels, which I'm not making with ham, but am adding chopped pecans to and will be using my Garlic Herb Cheese Spread
And a couple of other appetizer-type things to be named later from my remaining two sisters.

Christmas Day I usually do something special for mom and I, but I forgot we weren't going shopping again before then, so I'm kinda at a loss. I'm sort of leaning toward just roasting a chicken, and having baked sweet potatoes, Grands honey layer biscuits, sweet & sour red cabbage, and some kind of vegetable casserole. Which is going to require my stopping at the store on the way home from work.

invictus

Post by invictus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:58 pm

I haven't done much planning yet. I will do that on Friday or Saturday and brave the stores on Saturday afternoon.

I do know that Christmas Eve will be a selection of appetizers that is mostly undecided yet. I do know that I will be making a roasted red pepper and pesto french bread.

Christmas Day will be a pork loin with herbed bacon paste (I know I owe Denise the recipe and will look for it tonight, promise!) but the other details are undecided.

I will come back and post as my menu is finalized.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:38 am

I cobbled together a menu for Christmas Day finally. The chicken is a recipe I originally got from F.com for Scottish Roast Chicken (it's got oat stuffing). Then I'll be doing the baked sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts with Canadian bacon (recipe from Diabetic Lifestyle), red cabbage (from a jar), and Grands biscuits. We should still have either lemon meringue or cherry pie left over from Sunday so I'm not going to worry about a dessert.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:06 am

Sunday ... yes a day early

One friend is in town visiting parents; so her dinner is Tues with family; but ... Sun, she and hubby are visiting me. A relish tray, pickles, baked olives, pickled herring (they love it); shrimp, smoked salmon, cheese and crackers. All nibbles during football in the afternoon.

Christmas Eve ...

Just me and my son; he isn't into anything fancy, he wants more comfort food.

So, a marinated pork tenderloin grilled since it will be nice out; mashed parsnips, celery root and potato spuds with roasted garlic (or roasted potatoes, I called to ask); home made traditional caesar (he doesn't like too many salads with fruits or nuts); and his favorite rolls ... yes crescents.

He also doesn't like sweets; so I am having some smoked salmon, crackers and cheese for me to start.

So, pretty basic; but, it is HIS choice.

Christmas Day ...

Just me, although I was invited to an open house around noon. So, I think I will stop in there. They also celebrate Xmas Eve and just have a small open house of Xmas Day. Just a cocktail or 2, a few nibbles and then head home. It is also close by which is nice.

My dinner ... relaxing. A roasted stuffed cornish hen; probably green beans; and roasted beets; of course ... a nice bottle of wine. Just watch TV, sports, movies, and relax
---------------
Of course Ladies #1 has family down; and #2 went to visit her family - so no cooking until next week for them.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:55 am

My Christmas dinner is going to be totally different this year...My mom is going to cook! She has invited us out to her farm for dinner. No idea what she is planning on cooking. And I don't care....anything she makes will be delicious and even more so, because I won't have to cook, and only help with dishes after! :D I was going to bring a dish but she said absolutely not! You are the guests and I am cooking! So I will bring her a huge appetite! :lol: She is a baker, so any plate of goodies will be promptly placed in the freezer. (she already has so much baked) So honestly, I can't add to her stash! She brought me a blueberry cobbler yesterday simply because she couldn't fit it into her freezers! :shock: She is the type, that as soon as you drive into the driveway, she is grabbing cookies and goodies out of the freezer, and putting them on plates for coffee and treats. No one ever leaves my moms house hungry. The Schwans man even told me this summer, he has gained weight with her being on his "client list". :lol:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:48 am

Sounds like fun Dis :D